Codes and Frequencies
Explore how IPUMS created this variable
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
- Harmonization table
- No supplemental programming
- Instructions for interpreting harmonization documents
ENUTS3 identifies the Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics (NUTS) within Europe in which the household was enumerated. NUTS3 is the third level territorial units within countries. NUTS is a standard administrative division of the European Union, and was developed by the EU. The European Free Trade Association extends the NUTS system to several additional countries outside of the EU, and they are also incorporated into this variable.
ENUTS3 corresponds to the 2010 version of NUTS3 released by Eurostat.
The code labels include the standard code for the NUTS3 system and the name of the NUTS3 region, separated by a slash.
The full set of geography variables for the countries can be found in the IPUMS International Geography variables list. For cross-national geographic analysis on the first and second major administrative level refer to GEOLEV1, and GEOLEV2. More information on IPUMS-International geography can be found here.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
ENUTS3 is available for all the samples of Austria, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Switzerland. The regions are consistent across samples. There are no comparability issues.
Finland, Hungary, and The Netherlands do not provide any geographic detail. The geographical detail in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Poland is insufficient to integrate the areas into ENUTS3.
Larger sub-national units are available for European countries in ENUTS1 and ENUTS2.
To address issues of changing geography and ENUTS codes, IPUMS has created ENUTS3_2013 as an extension to the ENUTS3 variable. All newer samples post 2010 are available in ENUTS3_2013. Listed below are ENUTS3_2013 and ENUTS3 availability.
|Austria||1971, 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011||2011|
|Greece||1971, 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011||2011|
|Ireland||1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2006, 2011||2016|
|Italy||2001, 2011, 2011-2020*||2011, 2011-2020*|
|Portugal||1981, 1991, 2001, 2011||NA|
|Romania||1977, 1992, 2002, 2011||2011|
|Slovakia||1991, 2001, 2011||2011|
|Spain||1981, 1991, 2001, 2011, 2005-2020*||2011, 2010-2020*|
|Switzerland||1970, 1980, 1990, 2000||NA|
Comparability — Austria [top]
Four regions were combined with other regions for confidentiality reasons:
- AT111 / Mittelburgenland + AT113 / Südburgenland
- AT321 / Lungau + AT322 / Pinzgau-Pongau
- AT331 / Außerfern + AT334 / Oberland
- AT333 / Osttirol + AT335 / Tiroler Unterland
Comparability — Portugal [top]
In all samples, certain regions have been combined for confidentiality reasons:
- PT164 / Pinhal Interior Norte + PT166 / Pinhal Interior Sul + PT167 / Serra da Estrela + PT168 / Beira Interior Norte + PT169 / Beira Interior Sul + PT16A / Cova da Beira
- PT181 / Alentejo Litoral + PT182 / Alto Alentejo + PT183 / Alentejo Central + PT184 / Baixo Alentejo
For greater geographic detail, see GEO1_PT2011.
Comparability — Romania [top]
The 1977 sample has been harmonized using the integrated geographic variable provided by the Romanian statistical office, which enables the comparability of the 1977 and other Romania samples. However, the counties of Alba and Arad are not included in the 1977 sample. The absence of these counties involves RO121 / Alba and RO421 / Arad, respectively. In the case of Giurgiu, its current territory is included in 1977 following the former administrative division.
Greater geographic detail for the Region "RO321 / Bucuresti" is available in REGNRO.
Comparability — Switzerland [top]
This variable is a classification of Swiss Cantons. Two regions are combined for confidentiality reasons: CH053 / Appenzell Ausserrhoden + CH054 / Appenzell Innerrhoden.
Comparability — Turkey [top]
Some ENUTS3 codes for Turkey do not follow the NUTS numbering scheme and are listed in sequential order. Greater geographic detail is available in GEO_TR2000.
- All households
- Austria: 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Greece: 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Ireland: 1971, 1979, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016
- Italy: 2014Q1, 2015Q1, 2016Q1, 2017Q1, 2018Q1, 2019Q1, 2020Q1
- Portugal: 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Romania: 1977, 1992, 2002, 2011
- Slovak Republic: 1991, 2001, 2011
- Slovenia: 2002
- Spain: 1981, 1991, 2001, 2005Q1, 2005Q2, 2005Q3, 2005Q4, 2006Q1, 2006Q2, 2006Q3, 2006Q4, 2007Q1, 2007Q2, 2007Q3, 2007Q4, 2008Q1, 2008Q2, 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3, 2009Q4, 2010Q1, 2010Q2, 2010Q3, 2010Q4, 2011, 2011Q1, 2011Q2, 2011Q3, 2011Q4, 2012Q1, 2012Q2, 2012Q3, 2012Q4, 2013Q1, 2013Q2, 2013Q3, 2013Q4, 2014Q1, 2014Q2, 2014Q3, 2014Q4, 2015Q1, 2015Q2, 2015Q3, 2015Q4, 2016Q1, 2016Q2, 2016Q3, 2016Q4, 2017Q1, 2017Q2, 2017Q3, 2017Q4, 2018Q1, 2018Q2, 2018Q3, 2018Q4, 2019Q1, 2019Q2, 2019Q3, 2019Q4, 2020Q1, 2020Q2, 2020Q3, 2020Q4
- Switzerland: 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000
- Turkey: 2000