Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
GEO1_VN identifies the household's province within Vietnam in all sample years. Provinces are the first level administrative units of the country. GEO1_VN is spatially harmonized to account for political boundary changes across census years. Some detail is lost in harmonization; see the comparability discussion. A GIS map (in shapefile format), corresponding to GEO1_VN can be downloaded from the GIS Boundary files page in the IPUMS International web site.
The full set of geography variables for Vietnam can be found in the IPUMS International Geography variables list. For cross-national geographic analysis on the first and second major administrative level refer to GEOLEV1, and GEOLEV2. More information on IPUMS-International geography can be found here.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time. There were several boundary changes in Vietnam; we list boundary changes through time that are reflected in the IPUMS samples.
- Ha Tuyen province split into Ha Giang and Tuyen Quang.
- Hoang Lien Son province split into Lao Cai and Yen Bai.
- Nghe Tinh province split into Ha Tinh and Nghe An.
- Gia Lai-Kon Tum province split into Gia Lai and Kon Tum.
- Part of Dong Nai province annexed to Vung Tau-Con Dao special zone to form Ba Ria-Vung Tau province.
- Thuan Hai province split into Binh Thuan and Ninh Thuan.
- Hau Giang province split into Can Tho and Soc Trang.
- Cuu Long province split into Tra Vinh and Vinh Long.
- Bac Thai province split into Bac Kan and Thai Nguyen
- Ha Bac province split into Bac Giang and Bac Ninh
- Hai Hung province split into Hai Duong and Hung Yen
- Minh Hai province split into Bac Lieu and Ca Mau
- Nam Ha (Ha Nam Ninh) province split into Ha Nam and Nam Dinh
- Quang Nam-Da Nang province split into Quang Nam province and Da Nang municipality
- Song Be province split into Binh Duong and Binh Phuoc
- Vinh Phu province split into Phu Tho and Vinh Phuc.
- Can Tho province split into Can Tho municipality and Hau Giang province
- Dac Nong province split from Dac Lak
- Dien Bien province split from Lai Chau
- Ha Tay province and parts of Hoa Binh and Vinh Phuc provinces merged with Hanoi municipality
- All households
- Vietnam: 1989, 1999, 2009