Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
GEO1_BW2011 identifies the household's district within Botswana in 2011. Districts are the first level administrative units of the country. A GIS map (in shapefile format), corresponding to GEO1_BW2011 can be downloaded from the GIS Boundary files page in the IPUMS International web site.
The full set of geography variables for Botswana can be found in the IPUMS International Geography variables list. For cross-national geographic analysis on the first and second major administrative level of any country refer to GEOLEV1, and GEOLEV2. More information on IPUMS-International geography can be found here.
Comparability — General
Districts with populations less than 20,000 (based on the most recent sample year) were regionalized (combined) with neighboring districts to create units with populations greater than 20,000.
- Delta is combined with Ngamiland West for confidentiality reasons.
- Central Kgalagadi Game Reserve is combined with Ghanzi for confidentiality reasons.
- Sowa is combined with Central Tutume for confidentiality reasons.
- Orapa is combined with Central Boteti for confidentiality reasons.
- Jwaneng and Ngwaketse West are combined with Ngwaketse South for confidentiality reasons.
- All households
- Botswana: 2011