Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
REGNBR indicates the region in Brazil in which the household was enumerated. REGNBR is harmonized by name and does not account for boundary changes over time.
The full set of geography variables for Brazil can be found in the IPUMS International Geography variables list. For cross-national geographic analysis on the first and second major administrative level refer to GEOLEV1 and GEOLEV2. More information on IPUMS-International geography can be found here.
Comparability — General
Regions in Brazil are comparable across time.
Missing states: The 1960 sample is missing 11 states, including the entire North region. These states are:
- Rondônia in the North region
- Acre in the North region
- Amazonas in the North region
- Roraima in the North region
- Pará in the North region
- Amapá in the North region
- Maranhão in the Northeast region
- Piauí in the Northeast region
- Espírito Santo in the Southeast region
- Guanabara in the Southeast region
- Santa Catarina in the South region
- All households
- Brazil: 1960, 1970, 1980, 1991, 2000, 2010