Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
- Complex/technical variable: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
GEOMIG1_1 indicates the major administrative unit in which the person resided one year prior to the survey. Only intra-national migrations are recorded; however, the variable incorporates geographies for every country that lists place of residence one year ago, to enable comparative analysis of subnational migration. Foreign migrants are coded 097 or 997. Codes for GEOMIG1_1 match the geographic codes in GEOLEV1 (current place of residence).
Comparability — General
The major administrative level of geography differs between countries both terminologically and in terms of scale. The first three digits of GEOMIG1_1 provide the country code (COUNTRY); the last three digits specify the geographic unit within country. Leading zeros are used when the geographical unit within the country requires less than three digits. Unknown geographical units in any country are assigned the highest possible code within the country.
This variable is comparable across samples, although the number of geographic units specified varies considerably. See the country-specific comparability discussions for more information of each specific country.
- Persons age 1+
- Botswana: 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Canada: 1991, 2001
- Greece: 1991, 2001, 2011
- Ireland: 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2006, 2011
- Italy: 2014Q1, 2015Q1, 2016Q1, 2017Q1, 2018Q1, 2019Q1
- Kenya: 1979, 1989, 1999, 2009
- Malawi: 1987
- Mozambique: 1997, 2007
- Papua New Guinea: 1990
- Poland: 2002
- Russia: 2010
- Senegal: 2013
- South Sudan: 2008
- Spain: 1991, 2005Q1, 2005Q2, 2005Q3, 2005Q4, 2006Q1, 2006Q2, 2006Q3, 2006Q4, 2007Q1, 2007Q2, 2007Q3, 2007Q4, 2008Q1, 2008Q2, 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3, 2009Q4, 2010Q1, 2010Q2, 2010Q3, 2010Q4, 2011, 2011Q1, 2011Q2, 2011Q3, 2011Q4, 2012Q1, 2012Q2, 2012Q3, 2012Q4, 2013Q1, 2013Q2, 2013Q3, 2013Q4, 2014Q1, 2014Q2, 2014Q3, 2014Q4, 2015Q1, 2015Q2, 2015Q3, 2015Q4, 2016Q1, 2016Q2, 2016Q3, 2016Q4, 2017Q1, 2017Q2, 2017Q3, 2017Q4, 2018Q1, 2018Q2, 2018Q3, 2018Q4, 2019Q1, 2019Q2, 2019Q3, 2019Q4
- Sudan: 2008
- Tanzania: 2002, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago: 1990, 2000
- United Kingdom: 1991, 2001
- United States: 2005, 2010, 2015
- Zambia: 1990, 2000, 2010