Considered as schools: studies in evening school, Yeshiva, university, academy of music, etc. Will not be considered schools: courses of under one year, correspondence courses, language courses etc.
[Questions 8-10 were asked of persons aged 14+ who presently study at a school or studied in past, per question 6]
8. How many years altogether did you study at school? ____
[Questions 9-12 are asked only of persons age 15+ who ever attended school, per question 8]
9. How many years of schooling have you had? _ _
If you are studying now -- include current year.
Do not include: a year of studies which you did not complete in the past or courses lasting less than a year.
[Questions 14-38 were asked of people 15 years or older.]
[Questions 15-16 were asked of persons age 15+ who presently attend school or attended school in the past, per question 14]
15. How many years of schooling did you have? Please answer all questions:
If you didn't study [just] mark X. If you studied write the number of years.
____ A. Elementary school, junior high school: including Heder, Talmud Torah, Khutab
____ B. Vocational or agricultural high school: including yeshiva, high school vocational trend (including vocational yeshiva high school, apprenticeship school, industrial school).
____ C. High School: including yeshiva high school, "Little Yeshiva," and "external" school which prepares for matriculation exams.
____ D. Yeshiva ("big"): with the exception of high school yeshiva or "little yeshiva"
____ E. Higher, non-academic, education such as: technicians' schools, teachers' seminar, nurses' school.
____ F. Higher, academic education: University, Technion etc.
____ G. Other school: please specify ____
15. For how many years have you attended the different types of schools?
If you presently attending school -- include the present school year in the count.
43. Have you studied in the past, or are you studying today, in a school (educational institution)?
School also includes university, evening school, courses of at least one academic year, Yeshiva or Kollel.
44. How many years did you study in all schools (educational institutions)? ____
This part of the questionnaire deals with the subject of education. The goal of the questions is to receive information on the population's education level and type of education.
The data received will allow us to study, among other things, the distribution of different population groups according to people's number of schooling years in different types of schools (high school, post-secondary school or higher education), how many of them received matriculation certificates, how many received other diplomas, and the number of academics in Israel. The data allows us to analyze the relations between education and people's occupations, or between education and housing conditions, etc.
In addition, the data is used for assessing the population's education resources and for planning education services, such as frameworks for professional studies, adult education, etc.
All questions in this part are addressed at persons aged 15 or more.
2. Instructions for answering questions
b. Number of schooling years
The information on the number of schooling years assists in the study of the population's education level.
- If the respondent is currently in school, include the current school year in the count - even if it is the beginning of the school year.
- Concerning past studies - only include schooling years that the respondent actually completed. For example: You are told that the respondent studied in the past for a year and 7 months in a vocational training course. You need to find out whether the course's length was a year and 7 months (and then count it as two years of schooling), or if the course was longer and the respondent terminated his studies before their end and then count it as one year only).
- Only refer to the actual years of studies and not to the planned years of studies.
Include all schooling years in any type of school, even if there were intervals between them. For example: The respondent studied toward a bachelor's degree at the Hebrew University for one year. At the end of the first year he stopped his studies in order to work. At the end of the year of working he returned and completed another two years toward the degree. In this case, type the entire sum of his years of study - 3.
- Include any schooling year, regardless of whether the studies were conducted during the day or the evening, in Israel or abroad.
- A 'schooling year' does not include: years of studies in frameworks which are not schools (academic institutions), schooling years which were not completed in the past, additional schooling years in the same grade in an elementary or high school.