Questionnaire Text

Questionnaire form view entire document:  text  image

50. What level and year of education are you currently in? [Indicate the year for the correspondent level]
[Question 50 was asked of persons who were currently attending school, as per question 48.]

[] Pre-school _
[] Special primary _
[] Primary _
[] Basic cycle high school _
[] Basic cycle of the University of Work (UTU) _
[] Upper high school (4th to 6th) _
[] Professional basic training _
[] Upper technical high school (4th to 6th) _
[] Teacher training (go to question 53) _
[] University or similar (go to question 53) _
[] Non-university higher education (go to question 53) _
[] Graduate school (master or Ph.D.) (go to question 53) _

Questionnaire instructions view entire document:  text  image

50. In what level and year are you currently enrolled?

The level and year that the respondent is currently attending will be indicated. In the case that vacations are in session, you must record the grade he will enter when classes resume.

In the case that the person declares attending different levels (for example teacher training and university) he will be asked to opt for one of them, following the criteria of the level to which he dedicates the majority of time (including hours of study).

How to proceed in the case that the interview is being carried out during vacations? In these cases you must investigate the enrollment of the student. Anyone who, even while temporarily not attending, is enrolled is considered as attending an establishment of learning.

An example that can present doubt is the following: a person who is interviewed in the months of the summer finished one level (ex: elementary school) and is enrolled in the next level, you must mark the next level and note "1" in the year that he is attending.

Some clarifications with respect to the options:

Pre-school: Daycare, nursery school, etc. are included. The level that he is taking will be indicated.

Special elementary school: This level will be signaled in the case of the people who attend special schools for the disabled/handicapped. In this case the level that he is taking should be indicated.

Middle school: If the person is taking the first, second, or third year in a middle school

[p. 43]

University of Work (UTU): If the person is taking first, second, or third year in a technical school. You must be careful not to confuse the UTU with basic professional formation. The basic cycle of the UTU is equivalent to the middle school, that's to say that it has the same curriculum content as the formation in the first cycle of the middle school (except for small differences).

High school: If the person is taking fourth, fifth, or sixth grade in a high school

Basic professional formation: corresponds to the courses of the UTU that only require elementary schooling. It is different from the basic cycle in the UTU because it deals with a formation orientated specifically to some trade and is not equivalent to the basic cycle in the middle school. In addition, the courses are of shorter duration than the basic cycle of the UTU. It is required that the people are age 15 or older to participate in these courses.

Technical high school: If the person is taking fourth, fifth, or sixth grade in a technical school.

Non-university higher education: This includes for example the National School of Police (officials), the technicians of administration (the private universities as well we the University of the Republic), the physiotherapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, students of hotel management, etc.

Graduate school (masters or Ph.D.): If the person is attending a postgraduate course, always when it deals with a masters of at least a year of duration (don't record postgraduate studies shorter than one year) or a doctorate, in both cases they must require a finalized university degree in order for admission.