Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
For persons not in their state of birth, MIGYRSBR indicates how many years the person has resided in their current state of residence. The variable pertains only to Brazil.
Comparability — General
This variable is largely comparable across samples; however, the universe changes over time. The variable always indicates years residing in the state, but in some years only interstate movers are in the universe, while in others any person who moved from their municipality of birth are included.
The 1960-1980 responses were combined into intervals. The data are coded to the first year of the interval. The labels describe the intervals. The 1991-2000 samples report the exact number of years.
The 2000-2010 samples also report years residing in current municipality in MIGYRS1.
- Brazil 1960: Persons not living in municipality of birth
- Brazil 1970: Persons not living in municipality of birth
- Brazil 1980: Persons who ever moved from state of birth
- Brazil 1991: Persons who ever moved from municipality of birth
- Brazil 2000: Persons who ever moved from municipality of birth
- Brazil 2010: Persons who ever moved from municipality of birth
- Brazil: 1960, 1970, 1980, 1991, 2000, 2010