Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_P_EC indicates the person's previous province of residence in Ecuador.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
The universe differs between samples. In 1962 only persons who ever lived in a different city or parish are in the universe. The 1974 sample includes all persons in the universe, meaning persons who never moved from their current province of residence are coded there.
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
Boundary changes and confidentiality issues:
- Sucumbios was created in 1989 and Orellana was created in 1998; both units were formed from the province of Napa.
- In 2007 two new provinces were created: Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas formed form Pichincha and Santa Elena from Guayas.
- Galapagos Islands are combined with Guayas for confidentiality reasons.
- Ecuador 1962: Persons who ever lived in a different city or parish
- Ecuador 1974: All persons
- Ecuador: 1962, 1974