Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_P_CM indicates the person's previous province of residence within Cameroon.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- In 1983 Centre-Sud split into two provinces - Centre and Sud.
- In 1983 Nord split into three provinces - Nord, Adamoua, and Extrême Nord.
The universe differs slightly between the 1976 and 1987 samples. The universe is significantly different in the 2005 sample because the question was asked of all household residents, regardless of whether they had ever moved.
For the previous country of residence of international migrants, see MIGCTRYP (Country of previous residence).
- Cameroon 1976: Persons who have changed residence
- Cameroon 1987: Persons in private households who have changed residence
- Cameroon 2005: Residents of the household who have changed residence
- Cameroon: 1976, 1987, 2005