Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_10_TT indicates the person's region of residence 10 year ago within Trinidad and Tobago. MIG1_10_TT is heavily harmonized, a lot more geographic detail can be found in the respective source variable.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- 1980: Point Fortin region split from Saint Patrick county.
- Between 1990 and 2000:
- St. Patrick became Siparia.
- St. Andrew/St. David and a small part of county of Nariva/Mayaro became Sangre Grande.
- Victoria became Princess Town.
- Penal/Debe was formed from parts of Victoria and St. Patrick (Siparia) and Point Fortin.
- Chaguanas formed from Caroni.
- Diego Martin formed from the old St. George.
- San Juan/ Laventille formed from St. George and Caroni.
- Tunapuna formed from St. George and Caroni.
- Couva formed from County of Nariva/Mayaro, Victoria, St. George and Caroni.
- St. John, St. Mary, St. Paul, St. George, St. David, St. Andrew and St. Patrick parishes were formed from Tobago Island.
- Between 200 and 2011:
- Tabaquite and Talparo formed from Couva
- Piarco formed from Tunapuna
County codes above 99 and below 900 indicate counties in the 1990 sample that could not be combined with the 2000 and 2011 sample due to changes in geography.
See also MIG1_P_TT, MIG1_1_TT, and MIG1_5_TT for previous residence, residence 1 year ago, and residence 5 years ago in other Trinidad and Tobago samples.
- Trinidad and Tobago 1990: Persons age 10+
- Trinidad and Tobago 2000: Persons age 10+
- Trinidad and Tobago 2011: Persons in private households who lived in Trinidad and Tobago 10 years ago
- Trinidad and Tobago: 1990, 2000, 2011