B. Person Form
27. If you are:
- working for payment or profit (Q26 box 1)
- unemployed (Q 26 box 3)
- retired (Q26 box 6)
Answer the following questions about your main job or your last main job if you are not currently employed. Otherwise, skip to Q34.
33. What is (was) the business of your employer at the place where you work(ed) in your main job? If you are (were) self-employed answer in respect of your own business. Describe the main product or service provided by your employer. For example, "Making computers", "Repairing cars", "Secondary education".
Questions 28 to 33 are to be answered by persons who are working for payment or profit, unemployed or retired (.i.e. Those who have ticked boxes 1, 3, or 5 for question 26).
Question 33 will provide information that will be used to determine the industrial sectors in which people work. The categories are compared over time to show trends and rates of change in industry type.
33 What is (was) the business of your employer at the place where you work(ed) in your main job?
If you are (were) self-employed answer in respect of your own business.
Describe the main product or service provided by your employer.
For example, making computers, repairing cars, secondary education, food wholesale, making pharmaceuticals, contract cleaning, software development and support.
Guidelines on answering question 33:
- It is vitally important that the description given is detailed enough to enable it to be coded.
- This question should only be answered by those at work or unemployed i.e. those who indicated tick Working for payment or profit or tick Unemployed in Question 26.
- It need not be answered by those who are retired.
- Please answer in precise terms, examples are:
Inadequate entry possible - correct entry
Computers - Making computers
Cars - Repairing cars
Education - Primary education
Food - Break wholesaler
Pharmaceuticals - Making pharmaceuticals
Cleaning - Contract cleaning office
Software - Software development and support
Recreation - Swimming pool
Local authority - Local authority cleaning department
Local authority - Local authority library service
Local authority - Local authority housing department