This variable is not available for any of the currently selected samples.
RELATEH is the NAPP version of the RELATE variable, which describes an individual's relationship to the head of household. This variable is largely compatible with the IPUMS-International variable RELATE, though some changes have been made.
The relationship codes are divided into two categories-relatives (codes 1- 10) and non-relatives (codes 11-12). The codes for relatives are self- explanatory. The non-relative codes are divided into three groups: "Partner, friend, visitor", roughly described as persons who do not pay or work for their accommodations (unless they share ownership); "Other non-relatives", including those persons paying or working for accommodations; and "Institutional inmates".
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
The general code (two digits) is comparable across all countries. The third and fourth digits of RELATEH preserve detail not available in all countries.
- Canada: 1891, 1901, 1911
- Denmark: 1787, 1801
- Iceland: 1703, 1729, 1801, 1901, 1910
- Norway: 1801, 1865, 1875, 1900, 1910
- Sweden: 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910
- United Kingdom: 1851a, 1851b, 1851c, 1861a, 1861b, 1871, 1881a, 1881b, 1891a, 1891b, 1901a, 1901b, 1911
- United States: 1850a, 1850b, 1860, 1870, 1880a, 1880b, 1900, 1910