Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG2_1_MZ indicates the person's district of residence 1 year ago within Mozambique. Migration district codes in MIG2_1_MZ are compatible with codes in GEO2_MZ.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries have changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time. Where officially-defined districts have populations less than 20,000, they have been regionalized (combined) with neighboring districts.
- Mavago and Mecula districts are combined
- Ibo and Quissanga districts are combined
- Chigubo and Massangena districts are combined
- Maputo City districts 1, 6, and 7 are combined
- Maputo city has been combined to one unit due to very low frequencies in some districts in 2007. Click on source variable MZ2007A_0433 for detailed frequencies from 1997
- Morrumbene and Maxixe (508008011) have been combined due to very low frequencies in Maxixe in 2007. Click on source variable MZ2007A_0433 for detailed frequencies from 1997
- Nacala-Porto and Nacala-Velha (508003018) have been combined due to very low frequencies in Nacala-Porto in 2007. Click on source variable MZ2007A_0433 for detailed frequencies from 1997
- Mozambique 1997: Residents age 1+
- Mozambique 2007: Residents age 1+
- Mozambique: 1997, 2007