Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_P_RO indicates the person's county of previous residence.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- In 1982, Calarasi was formed from parts of Ialomita and Ilfov. Ialomita then consisted of what remained after the creation of Calarasi and a newly acquired portion of Ilfov.
- In 1982 Giurgiu was formed from a part of Ilfov.
Missing counties: The 1977 sample is missing two counties.
These counties are:
All the sectors in Bucharest Municipality are combined in MIG1_P_RO.
There is a notable difference between 1977 and the later samples in the universe of persons who answered the question. In 1977, all persons who ever moved from their locality of birth (municipality, town, commune) are included in the universe. In the later samples, only persons who ever moved from their county of birth -- a larger administrative unit -- are in the universe.
There are also some geographic differences. Ilfov was included in 1992 as a component of Bucharest, but is separately identified in the other samples. Calarasi and Guirgiu are not identified in 1977.
There are a large number of non-responses in 1977.
- Romania 1977: Persons born in a different locality
- Romania 1992: Persons born in a different county
- Romania 2002: Persons born in a different county
- Romania: 1977, 1992, 2002