Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_P_KG indicates the person's region (oblast) of previous residence in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time:
- In 2009, there is an additional designation for the city of Osh even though it is not actually a separate region. Despite its separate designation, the city of Osh is a part of Oshskaya region. This is how the data was received and we have maintained the division.
Several region names are either called by other similar names or spelled differently:
- Gorkenesh Bishkek is also called "Bishkek" or "city of Bishkek"
- Issyk-Kul region is also spelled as "Ysyk-Köl"
- Dzhalal-Abad region is also known as "Jalal-Abad"
- Oshskaya region is also known as "Osh"
- Talasskaya region is also known as "Talas"
- Chuya region is also spelled as "Chuy".
For the country of residence of international migrants, see MIGCTRYP (Country of previous residence).
- Persons who ever moved between districts
- Kyrgyz Republic: 1999