Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_P_HT indicates the person's department of previous residence in Haiti.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- Nord'est (North East) split from Nord (North) in 1982.
- Sud'Est (South East) was formed from part of Ouest (West) in 1982.
- Centre (Central) was formed from parts of Ouest (West) and L'Artibonite in 1982.
- Grand'Anse split from Sud (South) in 1982.
- Nippes split from Grand'Anse in 2003.
MIG1_P_HT is available for the 1971 sample only.
- Haiti 1971: All persons
- Haiti: 1971