Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_5_ZA indicates the person's province of residence five years prior to the census.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- Between 2001 and 2007 - Parts of North West became Northern Cape.
- Between 2001 and 2007 - Parts of Gauteng became North West.
- Between 2001 and 2007 - Parts of Mpumalanga became Limpopo.
- Between 2001 and 2007 - Parts of Mpumalanga became Gauteng.
- Between 2001 and 2007 - Parts of KwaZulu-Natal became Eastern Cape.
- ~2005: Umzimkulu municipality moved from Eastern Cape to KwaZulu-Natal.
- Between 2007 and 2011, parts of North West became Gauteng
This variable is similar to MIG1_P_ZA for 1996 and 2007 South Africa, which gives province of previous residence without any time reference.
- South Africa 2001: Persons age 5+ whose residence differs from 5 years ago
- South Africa: 2001