Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_5_PH indicates the person's province of residence five year ago within the Philippines.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time. Where officially-defined provinces have populations under 20,000, they have been regionalized (combined) with neighboring provinces.
- Batanes is combined with Cagayan for confidentiality reasons.
- The province of Compostela Valley split from Davao (Davao Del Norte) in 1998.
- The province of Guimaras split from Iloilo in 1992.
- The province of Biliran split from Leyte in 1992
- The province of Sarangani split from South Cotabato in 1992.
- The province of Kalinga-Apayao split into separate Kalinga and Apayao provinces in 1995.
- Isabela city was created from the province of Basilan in 2001.
- Zamboanga-Sibugay province split from Zamboanga del Sur in 2001.
- Surigao del Norte split to form the Dinagat Islands in 2006.
- The chartered cities of Cotabato and Marawi physically lie within the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, but are considered a part of the Central Mindanao province for administrative purposes. As a result, Catabato and Marawi are combined with the Lanao Del Sur and Maguindanao provinces.
Spratly Islands are a group of disputed islands claimed by Malaysia, Taiwan, China, Philippines, Vietnam, and Brunei. The 1995 to 2010 Philippines samples include data on Spratly Islands (locally known as "Kalayaan Group of Islands") as part of the Palawan province.
- Philippines 2000: Persons who lived in a different municipality 5 years ago
- Philippines 2010: Persons who lived in a different municipality 5 years ago
- Philippines: 2000, 2010