Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_5_GR indicates the person's department of residence five years ago within Greece.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
There are no comparability issues. See MIG1_1_GR for department of residence 1 year ago.
Several geographical units in Greece have been combined by the National Statistical Service of Greece, which is different from the regionalization implemented on other IPUMS countries.
Where officially-defined departments have populations under 20,000, they have been regionalized (combined) with neighboring departments.
- Aghion Oros department is combined with Chalkidiki department in all sample years for confidentiality reasons.
- Greece 1971: Persons age 5+
- Greece 1981: Persons age 5+
- Greece 1991: Persons age 5+
- Greece 2001: Persons age 5+
- Greece 2011: Persons age 5+
- Greece: 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011