Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_1_TZ indicates the person's region of residence one year ago in Tanzania.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- Manyara was formed from part of Arusha in 2002.
- Njombe was formed from part of Iringa in 2012.
- Katavi was formed from part of Rukwa in 2012.
- Geita was formed from parts of Shinyanga, Kagera, and Mwanza in 2012.
- Simiyu was formed from parts of Shinyanga and Mwanza in 2012.
There are minor universe changes across samples. The universe for the 2002 sample is persons 1 years old or more living in private households, but it is persons 1 years old or more in 2012.
The 1988 Tanzania sample records region of residence ten years ago in MIG1_10_TZ
- Tanzania 2002: Persons age 1+ living in private households
- Tanzania 2012: Persons age 1+
- Tanzania: 2002, 2012