Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_1_MW indicates the person's district of residence one year ago within Malawi.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
Where boundaries changed over time, units were harmonized to create units with boundaries that remain stable over time. Where officially-defined districts have populations below 20,000 (based on the most recent sample year), they have been regionalized (combined) with neighboring districts.
Boundary changes and confidentiality issues:
- Likoma is combined with Nkhata Bay in all sample years for confidentiality reasons.
- Neno was created from Mwanza after 1998.
- The following districts and cities were listed as one district in 1998, but are identified as separate districts in 2008:
- Mzimba and Mzuzu City
- Lilongwe and Lilongwe City
- Zomba and Zomba City
- Blantyre and Blantyre City
For district of previous residence (no time frame) in 2008, see MIG1_P_MW
For the country of residence one year ago for international migrants, see MIGCTRY1
- Persons age 1+
- Malawi: 1987