Codes and Frequencies
MARRYR reports the year of first marriage.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
All samples report year of first marriage, but some further restricted the question to women, and some only to women currently in their first marriage at the time of the census.
The samples for China, Romania, Canada, and Greece are bottom-coded.
For related information for 1991 Spain and for Israel that categorizes years into intervals, see MARRYR2.
Comparability — Canada [top]
The sample is bottom-coded at 1930 or earlier. Responses for 1931 to 1940 were combined in the data; they are coded to the midpoint of the interval: 1935.
Comparability — China [top]
The 2000 sample is bottom-coded at 1915 or earlier. The question was asked of persons age 15 and above who were ever married.
Comparability — Greece [top]
The sample is bottom-coded at 1921 or earlier.
Comparability — Hungary [top]
The 1990 sample includes both men and women; the 1980 sample only women. The top-code differs across samples.
Comparability — Indonesia [top]
Information is collected for ever-married females age 10+ in most samples. In 1995, the question was asked only of ever-married women between age 10 and 54. The 1971, 1985, 2000, and 2010 samples do not include information on the year of first marriage.
Comparability — Romania [top]
The Romanian data are comparable, with the 1992 and 2002 samples including only women currently in their first marriage and the 2011 sample including married women.
The 2002 sample is bottom-coded at 1931 or earlier while in 2011 there is a bottom-code at 1939 or earlier.
Comparability — Spain [top]
Only women currently in their first marriage are included.
- Canada 1981: Ever-married persons age 15+, excluding inmates
- China 2000: Persons age 15+ who were ever married
- Greece 2001: Ever-married females
- Hungary 1980: Ever-married females
- Hungary 1990: Ever-married persons
- Indonesia 1976: Ever married women age 10+
- Indonesia 1980: Ever married women age 10+
- Indonesia 1990: Ever married women age 10+
- Indonesia 1995: Ever-married women age 10 to 54
- Indonesia 2005: Ever married women age 10+
- Iraq 1997: Ever-married persons age 12+
- Romania 1992: Females born before 1977 in their first marriage
- Romania 2002: Females age 15+ in their first marriage
- Romania 2011: Married women
- Spain 1981: Females in their first marriage
- Canada: 1981
- China: 2000
- Greece: 2001
- Hungary: 1980, 1990
- Indonesia: 1976, 1980, 1990, 1995, 2005
- Iraq: 1997
- Romania: 1992, 2002, 2011
- Spain: 1981