Codes and Frequencies
Explore how IPUMS created this variable
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
- Harmonization table
- No supplemental programming
- Instructions for interpreting harmonization documents
HLTHCOV reports whether the person had medical insurance/coverage (or a right to medical services) from a public or private institution as the result of the person's or a family member's employment, service in the armed forces, or a combination thereof.
Comparability — General
The following acronyms are used in the coding for this variable:
- IMSS for the Mexican Institute of Social Security (Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social)
- ISSSTE for the Institute of Security and Social Services for State Workers (Instituto de Seguridad y Servicios Sociales para los Trabajadores del Estado)
- Pemex for Mexican Petroleum (Petroleos Mexicanos)
The Mexican government implemented a new public insurance program (Seguro Médico para una Nueva Generación) in 2006. The 2010 and 2015 census samples include a category for persons covered by this program, labeled "Public insurance (New Generation)".
The 2010 and 2015 unharmonized census data further distinguish the ISSSTE category into federal and state provided public worker services. In these census samples, other sources are distinguished from private sources.
The 2010 and 2015 census samples allowed only two sources of coverage to be indicated, while the 2000 census sample allowed up to four sources, if applicable. The unharmonized source variables retain full details.
Those respondents who used out-of-pocket financing, or relied on some other private or regional program, were coded into the "Other coverage" category.
For additional information on where individuals received medical treatment, see HLTHFAC.
- Mexico 2000: All persons
- Mexico 2010: All persons
- Mexico 2015: All persons
- Mexico: 2000, 2005Q1, 2005Q2, 2005Q3, 2005Q4, 2006Q1, 2006Q2, 2006Q3, 2006Q4, 2007Q1, 2007Q2, 2007Q3, 2007Q4, 2008Q1, 2008Q2, 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3, 2009Q4, 2010, 2010Q1, 2010Q2, 2010Q3, 2010Q4, 2011Q1, 2011Q2, 2011Q3, 2011Q4, 2012Q1, 2012Q2, 2012Q3, 2012Q4, 2013Q1, 2013Q2, 2013Q3, 2013Q4, 2014Q1, 2014Q2, 2014Q3, 2014Q4, 2015, 2015Q1, 2015Q2, 2015Q3, 2015Q4, 2016Q1, 2016Q2, 2016Q3, 2016Q4, 2017Q1, 2017Q2, 2017Q3, 2017Q4, 2018Q1, 2018Q2, 2018Q3, 2018Q4, 2019Q1, 2019Q2, 2019Q3, 2019Q4, 2020Q1, 2020Q3