Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_PK provides geographic codes for Pakistan that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_PK indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Pakistan can be downloaded here.
Comparability — General
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_PK are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples are 1991 to 2017 and corresponds to the census samples from 1973 to 1998 in IPUMS-International.
Several areas in Pakistan are excluded from both DHS and IPUMS-International surveys:
- FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) is excluded from all DHS surveys except the 2017 survey and IPUMS-International surveys
- FANA (Federally Administered Northern Areas) is excluded from the 1991 and 2006 survey in DHS. Gilgit Baltistan an area within FANA was included in the 2012 and 2017 DHS survey but was excluded from the 1991 and 2006 surveys
- The other part of FANA, Azad Jammu and Kashmir is excluded from all the surveys except the 2017 DHS survey
- The North West Frontier was named Khyber Pakhtunkhwa prior to 2010
- FANA is excluded from all IPUMS-International surveys
- All households.
- Pakistan: 1973, 1981, 1998