Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
DAYSWRK indicates the number of days worked by the person during the week preceding the enumeration.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
The samples all refer to the week prior to the census except for Uruguay 2006 which asks about usual days worked per week.
The universe consists of all persons for Mexico and India, and working persons who reached a certain age (each country set the minimum age for answering this question) or who were interviewed in a deter time (case of Uruguay).
Comparability — China [top]
This census question was asked of persons who worked for at least 1 hour with pay in the week prior to the census, including all jobs the person had.
Comparability — Ethiopia [top]
Both samples 1984 and 1994 require those who engaged in productive work during last 7 days.
The universe for two samples differs, in 1984 were asked of urban household but in 1994 were asked of present and absent urban residents aged 10+
- China 2000: Persons age 15+ who worked for income last week
- Ethiopia 1984: Urban household members age 10+
- Ethiopia 1994: Urban household members age 10+
- Fiji 1996: Persons born in 1981 or earlier
- Ghana 1984: Persons age 10+ who worked last week.
- Ghana 2000: Persons age 7+ who worked last week
- Indonesia 1980: Persons age 10+ who worked or had a job last week
- Indonesia 1985: Persons age 10+ who worked or had a job last week
- Indonesia 1990: Persons age 10+ who worked or had a job last week
- Indonesia 1995: Persons age 10+ who worked or had a job last week
- Mexico 1960: All persons
- Uruguay 2006: Persons in second sample trimester who worked
- China: 2000
- Ethiopia: 1984, 1994
- Fiji: 1996
- Ghana: 1984, 2000
- India: 1993
- Indonesia: 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995
- Mexico: 1960, 2005Q1, 2005Q2, 2005Q3, 2005Q4, 2006Q1, 2006Q2, 2006Q3, 2006Q4, 2007Q1, 2007Q2, 2007Q3, 2007Q4, 2008Q1, 2008Q2, 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3, 2009Q4, 2010Q1, 2010Q2, 2010Q3, 2010Q4, 2011Q1, 2011Q2, 2011Q3, 2011Q4, 2012Q1, 2012Q2, 2012Q3, 2012Q4, 2013Q1, 2013Q2, 2013Q3, 2013Q4, 2014Q1, 2014Q2, 2014Q3, 2014Q4, 2015Q1, 2015Q2, 2015Q3, 2015Q4, 2016Q1, 2016Q2, 2016Q3, 2016Q4, 2017Q1, 2017Q2, 2017Q3, 2017Q4, 2018Q1, 2018Q2, 2018Q3, 2018Q4, 2019Q1, 2019Q2, 2019Q3, 2019Q4, 2020Q1, 2020Q3
- Uruguay: 2006