Codes and Frequencies
BUILTYR indicates the year in which construction was completed on the building in which the household resides.
Comparability — Index
Trinidad and Tobago
Comparability — General
The data represent year ranges for most samples. There was no way to make these ranges compatible. Instead, values are coded to the most recent year of the range. For example, 1995 to 2000 would be coded to 2000. The year ranges usually can be inferred from the available categories in each sample. They are also recorded in the unharmonized source variables. For many purposes, the source variables might be more convenient, but BUILTYR organizes their documentation and data in one place.
The lowest value for each sample is its bottom code; the top code is the year of the census. BUILTYR is bottom-coded at 1870 or earlier for all samples.
Some samples provided the data as a continuous variable, not coded into intervals: Germany 1987, Iran 2006, Jordan 2004, Malaysia 1990, Nepal 2011, Romania 1977 and 2002, Philippines 1980, Vietnam 1999 and 2009.
For similar variables that report the age of the structure see AGESTRUCT1 and AGESTRUCT2. The data for samples that report year of construction as a continuous variable are reorganized as age of structure in AGESTRUCT1.
Comparability — Armenia [top]
The 2001 sample has a bottom code at the year 1941 whereas the 2011 sample has a bottom code at the year 1950.
Comparability — Dominican Republic [top]
Values lower than 1979 are all listed as "Before 1979," there are no intervals.
Comparability — France [top]
The older samples have a bottom-code in the year 1871, but the 2011 sample has a bottom-code in the year 1945.
Comparability — Germany [top]
Many 1987 sample values report single years, not intervals.
Comparability — Guatemala [top]
The underlying data report the year of construction of the dwelling in intervals. In the 1981 sample the data are bottom-coded at 1973.
Comparability — Honduras [top]
The 1988 sample is bottom-coded at 1974.
Comparability — Iran [top]
Values lower than 1996 are recorded in intervals.
Comparability — Ireland [top]
The universes are consistent for practical purposes. The intervals are relatively consistent for the older dwellings, but the oldest values reported vary across samples. The lowest value in the 1971 sample is "before 1860".
Comparability — Jamaica [top]
The categories are inconsistent between samples.
Comparability — Morocco [top]
The data were reported as age of structure and converted into year. Dwellings that were built in phases were reported at the oldest phase (first construction).
Comparability — Nepal [top]
In the sample of 2011, the data were reported as age of the house and converted into years. Dwellings that were built in phases were reported at the oldest phase (first construction).
Comparability — Philippines [top]
All samples indicate the year when the construction was completed and when the building or house was ready for occupancy.
In 1990, values below 1986 were recorded in intervals; values below 1996 in the 2000 sample; and values below 2006 in the 2010 sample. The 1990 sample is bottom-coded at 1950; the 2000 sample at 1960; and the 2010 sample at 1970.
Comparability — Poland [top]
In 2002, the dwellings that were constructed after 1988, but with the exact date not specified, are classified in unknown.
Comparability — Portugal [top]
The intervals are largely consistent across samples. All samples are bottom-coded at 1918.
Comparability — Puerto Rico [top]
This variable is only available for the 2010 sample. Age of structure, rather than year of construction, was reported in 1970, 1980, 1990, and 2000. See AGESTRUCT2. The 2010 data report date of construction in single years for dwellings constructed up to 5 years before the census. For dwellings constructed more than 5 years before the census, the date of construction is reported in intervals. The data are bottom-coded at 1939.
Comparability — Romania [top]
The 2002 data are a recode of age of the structure. AGESTRUCT1 reports older structures than the top-code for BUILTYR allows. The 1977 data were given in the form used in BUILTYR.
Comparability — Spain [top]
The data report date of construction in single years for dwellings constructed up to 10 years before the census. For dwellings constructed more than 10 years before the census, the date of construction is reported in intervals. The data are bottom-coded at 1899. The 2001 sample includes collective dwellings; the 2011 sample does not.
Comparability — Trinidad and Tobago [top]
The universe for the 1970, 1980, and 1990 samples is all households. The universes for the 2000 and 2011 are households that completed the interview and private households, respectively.
Comparability — United States [top]
Values below 2005 are recorded in intervals in the 2010 and 2015 samples. The 2010 and 2015 samples are bottom-coded at 1939.
Comparability — Uruguay [top]
The data indicate the age since construction or since the last major restoration, defined as a "substantial alteration of the structure" that causes an increase of the property value.
Comparability — Vietnam [top]
The 1999 sample reports individual years; the other samples report individual years for the most recent constructions and group earlier years into ranges.
- Armenia 2001: All households
- Armenia 2011: All households
- Austria 1981: Private household, except single rooms without kitchen
- Austria 1991: All households
- Austria 2001: Private household, except single rooms without kitchen
- Austria 2011: All households
- Belarus 2009: Residential non-collective houses or apartments
- Canada 1981: Private households
- Canada 2011: All households
- Cuba 2002: Private occupied house or apartment
- Dominican Republic 1981: Primary household in occupied dwellings
- France 1962: Not group quarters
- France 1968: Not group quarters
- France 1975: Not group quarters
- France 1982: Not group quarters
- France 2011: Households in ordinary dwellings
- Germany 1971: Private dwellings
- Germany 1987: Private dwellings
- Greece 2011: Conventional dwellings
- Guatemala 1981: Private occupied households
- Honduras 1988: Private households that owned or rented the dwelling
- Hungary 1970: Non-collective households
- Hungary 1980: Households not in collective dwelling
- Hungary 1990: Non-collective dwellings
- Hungary 2001: Non-collective dwellings
- Hungary 2011: Occupied private households, seasonal and non-residential housing units
- Iran 2006: First household in dwelling
- Ireland 1971: Private non-mobile households
- Ireland 1981: Private non-mobile households
- Ireland 1991: Private non-mobile households
- Ireland 2002: Private households
- Ireland 2006: Private households
- Ireland 2011: Private households
- Israel 1983: Regular households
- Israel 1995: Private and Kibbutz households
- Jamaica 1982: Private households
- Jamaica 1991: Private households
- Jordan 2004: All households
- Kyrgyz Republic 2009: Households, not institutions
- Malaysia 1991: Private households
- Morocco 2004: Non-tent households
- Nepal 2011: All households
- Nicaragua 1971: Private occupied households
- Nigeria 2010: All households
- Panama 1980: Private households
- Panama 1990: Private occupied households
- Panama 2000: Private occupied households
- Panama 2010: Private occupied households
- Philippines 1990: All households
- Philippines 2000: All households
- Philippines 2010: Households in a dwelling built for habitation
- Poland 1978: Private dwellings excluding provisional or mobile housing
- Poland 1988: Private dwellings excluding provisional or mobile housing
- Poland 2002: First enumerated dwelling in the building
- Portugal 1981: Non-collective conventional and collective households
- Portugal 1991: All households
- Portugal 2001: All households
- Portugal 2011: Conventional households
- Puerto Rico 2010: Private households and vacant housing units
- Romania 1977: All households
- Romania 2002: All households
- Romania 2011: All households
- Slovenia 2002: All households
- Spain 2001: Buildings designed mainly or exclusively as dwellings
- Spain 2011: Buildings designed mainly or exclusively as dwellings
- Switzerland 1970: All households except emergency shelters
- Switzerland 1980: All households except emergency shelters
- Switzerland 1990: All households except emergency shelters
- Switzerland 2000: All households except emergency shelters
- Trinidad and Tobago 1970: All households
- Trinidad and Tobago 1980: All households
- Trinidad and Tobago 1990: All households
- Trinidad and Tobago 2000: Households that completed interview
- Trinidad and Tobago 2011: Private households
- United States 2010: Private households
- United States 2015: Private households
- Uruguay 2006: Households in the first trimester
- Vietnam 1989: All households
- Vietnam 1999: Not households in simple dwellings
- Vietnam 2009: Households with a dwelling
- Armenia: 2001, 2011
- Austria: 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Belarus: 2009
- Canada: 1981, 2011
- Cuba: 2002
- Dominican Republic: 1981
- France: 1962, 1968, 1975, 1982, 2011
- Germany: 1971, 1987
- Greece: 2011
- Guatemala: 1981
- Honduras: 1988
- Hungary: 1970, 1980, 1990, 2001, 2011
- Iran: 2006
- Ireland: 1971, 1981, 1991, 2002, 2006, 2011
- Israel: 1983, 1995
- Jamaica: 1982, 1991
- Jordan: 2004
- Kyrgyz Republic: 2009
- Malaysia: 1991
- Morocco: 2004
- Nepal: 2011
- Nicaragua: 1971
- Nigeria: 2010
- Panama: 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010
- Philippines: 1990, 2000, 2010
- Poland: 1978, 1988, 2002
- Portugal: 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011
- Puerto Rico: 2010
- Romania: 1977, 2002, 2011
- Slovenia: 2002
- Spain: 2001, 2011
- Switzerland: 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000
- Trinidad and Tobago: 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2011
- United States: 2010, 2015
- Uruguay: 2006
- Vietnam: 1989, 1999, 2009