Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
SPEAKIRSH identifies persons who are able to speak Irish and, in some samples, persons who can only read the language.
Comparability — General
The 1971-1991 offer more detail. They distinguish between persons who can speak only Irish or both English and Irish, and they identify persons who can read but not speak Irish. The 1996-2016 samples only identify persons who can or cannot speak the language.
In 1971, information is available for only 31% of all respondents.
The universe changes slightly between samples.
- Ireland 1971: All persons
- Ireland 1981: Persons age 3+
- Ireland 1986: Persons age 3+
- Ireland 1991: Persons age 3+
- Ireland 1996: Persons age 3+
- Ireland 2002: Non-absent persons age 3+
- Ireland 2006: Non-absent persons age 3+
- Ireland 2011: Present persons age 3+
- Ireland 2016: Present persons age 3+
- Ireland: 1901, 1911, 1971, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016