[Question 6 through 36 were asked to the residents]
For people aged 7+ only
26. What activity did (the person) do in the last week of July, this year?
 1 Worked- Go to question 28
 2 Did not work, but had a job- Go to question 28
 3 Helped a relative- Go to question 28
 4 Looked for a new job- Go to question 28
 5 Domestic - Go to question 27
 6 Looked for a job for the first time- Go to question 32
 7 Served the FADM- Go to question 32
 8 Studied only- Go to question 32
 9 Retired/reserve- Go to question 32
 10 Was unable to work
 11 Other ____
Questions to people aged 7+ only
P26. What activity did (the person) do in the last week of July (25-31), this year?
Read the Question and mark the corresponding response. If you marked the alternatives 1, 2, 3 or 4 go to P28. If you marked the box number 5, go to P27 and ask whether in the past week the person has been to the machamba, has produced or sold goods in the market, shops, street market or at home. If you marked the box with a number from 6 to 11 go to P32.
[Note: The word machamba refers to small plots of land used for agricultural purposes].
Be aware that:
In the rural area peasants tend to respond they do not work if, during the Census, the agricultural season is "dead/not productive". If the respondent did not effectively work, mark an X in box number 2 of P26 "Did not work but had a job".
It is common that in the dead seasons the peasants lead other activities such as build or repair their houses, sell goods, etc. For these cases, you should ask about their main activity.
You should consider as people who have worked those who fit one of the following situations:
- Workers on vacation during the Census. Mark an X in box number 2;
- Hospitalized persons, persons on maternal leave, workers who did not work on the reference week due to pregnancy, strike or natural disasters, as long as on the reference week they still keep their employment relationship or USUALLY PERFORM SOME KIND OF ACTIVITY. Mark an X in box number 2 of P26;
- Seasonal workers. Mark an X in box number 2 of P26;
- Members of the household who, on the reference week, helped (without pay) the head of household with the works in the Machamba, business, garage, sewing, etc. Mark an X in box number 3 of p26. These persons, in P30, should be considered as family worker without pay; alternative 10.
- For persons who have an institutional affiliation and during the enumeration were working for the Census 2007, you should validate their affiliation. For example, a public school teacher who is involved in the works of the Census should be considered as having worked (P26=1) and P30=1;
- Students who are involved in the works of the Census should be considered as students in P26
- All of those who, during the enumeration, do not have any type of institutional affiliation (for example, recently graduated students, candidates of various levels of education, etc.) and who are working for the Census, should be considered as having worked (P26=1) and P30=12.
Consider as someone who:
Worked - a person who, in addition to HOUSEWORK, USUALLY MAKES ITEMS TO BE SOLD SUCH AS CAKES OR CLOTHES, GOES TO THE MACHAMBA OR PERFORMS ANOTHER PAID ACTIVITY TO INCREASE THE HOUSEHOLD'S INCOME, should not be considered as domestic;
NOTE: You should avoid assuming that housewives do not perform any economic activity.
Did not work, but had a job - refers to a person with a regular occupation who did not work on the reference week because they were sick, on vacation, on maternal leave, on labor strike, or other. You should pay close attention to the situation of the peasants who did not work during the dry season. Mark an X in box number 2. Go to P28;
Helped a relative: a person who assisted members of the household with their duties or worked for them, but without pay.
A member of the household who helped a relative in the Machamba, garage, fishing, selling of goods and is not given any pay in money or goods.
Looked for a new job - refers to people who did not work on the reference week because they had been dismissed, had resigned or whose contract of employment expired, and is awaiting for another employment opportunity. Mark an X in box number 4. Go to P28;
Performed Domestic work: a person who looked after their own house. Mark an X in box number 5. Go to P27;
Served the FADM : a person who was a member of the Armed Forces of Mozambique (FADM) on the reference week. Mark an X in box number 7. Go to P32;
Studied only: a person who, on the reference week, was enrolled in a school or Official Educational establishment, either Private or Public.
Employed students should not be considered as students. They should be marked in the alternatives of people who work (1, 2 or 3);
Retired/reserve: a person who did not work on the reference week, lives on reserve pension or is retired. Mark an X in box number 9 and go to P32.
However, a person who is in army reserve or retirement and is performing a paid activity should be marked in the alternatives of people who work (1, 2 or 3);
Was unable to work: a person who did not work on the reference week because they were permanently unable to work due to old age or some physical or mental impossibility. Mark an X in box number 10 and go to P32;
It is important to note that in this category you should not include workers who did not work on the reference week for health reasons. These persons should be considered as people who did not work but have a job (alternative 2).
Other: a person who does not fit any of the previous situations. Mark an x in box number 11. Go to P32.