Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIGHOUSE indicates whether the person lived in the same house 5 years ago.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
MIGHOUSE can be considered a supplement to MIGRATE5, which indicates whether the person lived in the same or different state 5 years ago.
Comparability — Italy [top]
In 2011, the question was asked of persons age 5 or older. Age is reported in intervals, and children age 5 are grouped with children ages 3 and 4. Therefore, it is not possible to verify the age universe for MIGHOUSE.
Comparability — South Africa [top]
The survey question actually referred to place of residence in October 2001, which was roughly 5 years and 4 months prior.
- Canada 1971: Persons age 5+
- Canada 1981: Persons age 5+ in private households
- Canada 1991: Persons age 5+ in private households
- Canada 2001: Persons age 5+ in private households
- Italy 2011: Persons age 5+
- South Africa 2007: Persons born before October 2001
- United States 1990: Persons age 5+
- United States 2000: Persons age 5+
- Canada: 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001
- Italy: 2011
- South Africa: 2007
- United States: 1990, 2000