Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
MIG1_5_IL indicates the person's district of residence in Israel 5 years ago.
Click on the Source Variables tab for information on place of residence for each sample year. Source variables may contain more geographic unit detail but are not suitable for cross-temporal comparison.
Comparability — General
The data are comparable across samples.
Israel has three regions that are in dispute with its neighboring states. The disputed areas are a result of the Third Arab–Israeli War in 1967. A few disputed areas in MIG1_5_IL are different from disputed areas in GEO1_IL.
- No Man's Land along the Israel/Palestine border is coded as 376099.
- Judea, Samaria, and Gaza Areas (in dispute with Palestine) are coded as 376096.
- Golan Heights (in dispute with Syria) are coded with Nothern District as 376002.
- The 1972 and 1983 samples include the Sinai Peninsula, a territory occupied from Egypt which was returned in 1979, this areas is coded as 376096 and is different from the geographical area in GEO1_IL.
The harmonized migration variables does not take into account the boundary changes in disputed regions.
- The 1972 and 1983 censuses lists Golan as a subdistrict of Northern district
- The 1983 census includes the East Jerusalem area of the West Bank in its Jerusalem district.
- Persons age 5+
- Israel: 1972, 1983