Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
FREEZER indicates whether the household had a food freezer separate from a refrigerator.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
The variable is comparable across countries. Several countries include freezers in the question about refrigerators. Those cases are recorded in the variable REFRIG.
Comparability — Brazil [top]
The 2000 Brazil census included freezers in the question about refrigerators (see REFRIG).
Comparability — Egypt [top]
The 2006 sample recorded the number of freezers in the household, which is retained in the unharmonized data.
Comparability — Suriname [top]
The 2012 sample asks whether the household had any freezers in working condition.
Comparability — Uruguay [top]
All samples include only independent freezer units. The 1996 sample has a separate unharmonized source variable for refrigerator-freezers.
- Brazil 1991: Not group quarters or improvised dwellings; only households that had electric lighting, with or without a meter
- Canada 1971: Private households
- Egypt 1996: All households
- Egypt 2006: Private households
- Suriname 2012: All households
- United States 1960: Not group quarters or vacant units (answered by only 20% of households)
- Uruguay 1985: Occupied private dwellings with dwellers present
- Uruguay 1996: Occupied private households
- Uruguay 2006: All households
- Brazil: 1991
- Canada: 1971
- Egypt: 1996, 2006
- Suriname: 2012
- United States: 1960
- Uruguay: 1985, 1996, 2006