Codes and Frequencies
Most IPUMS data transformations are performed using variable harmonization tables that specify how each value in the source data is recoded. Some variables also require programming logic in addition to the harmonization table. The harmonization documents for this variable are:
ELEVATOR indicates whether housing units in the building had access to a passenger elevator.
Comparability — Index
Comparability — General
This variable is generally comparable, apart from the stated universe differences.
Comparability — Romania [top]
Only buildings intended for habitation are to report elevators. Non-functional elevators are counted as long as the installation has not been removed.
Comparability — United States [top]
The 1980 samples explicitly included stairway elevators and wheelchair lifts as elevators.
- France 1968: Not group quarters
- France 1975: Not group quarters
- France 1982: Not group quarters
- France 2006: Households in ordinary dwellings
- France 2011: Households in ordinary dwellings
- Jordan 2004: All households
- Portugal 2001: All households
- Portugal 2011: All collective dwellings and conventional and improvised private dwellings
- Romania 1977: All households
- Spain 1991: Dwellings with building information
- Spain 2011: Buildings designed mainly or exclusively as dwellings
- United States 1960: Not group quarters; only buildings with 4+ stories; only in cities with 50,000+ residents
- United States 1980: Not group quarters; only buildings with 4+ stories
- France: 1968, 1975, 1982, 2006, 2011
- Jordan: 2004
- Portugal: 2001, 2011
- Romania: 1977
- Spain: 1991, 2011
- United States: 1960, 1980