Codes and Frequencies
DURMARR reports the duration of the respondent's current marriage or union.
Comparability — Index
Trinidad and Tobago
Comparability — General
There are important universe differences across samples. The samples for Argentina, Brazil, Jamaica and Uruguay include consensual unions or cohabitation; the other samples apply to marriages only. The Argentina sample restricts the universe to only persons in their first union or marriage, and Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago only provide data for women.
The samples have different top-codes. See the codes page for category availability.
Comparability — Argentina [top]
The universe includes persons currently in their first marriage or consensual union.
Comparability — Austria [top]
The universe is currently legally married persons. The data are top-coded at 50+ years.
Comparability — Brazil [top]
The universe includes persons currently in a marriage or consensual union.
The original source data includes information for persons not in a union: for example, duration of current divorced or widowed status.
Comparability — Germany [top]
The samples are comparable other than slight differences in top-codes.
Comparability — Hungary [top]
In 2011, the data are calculated from the month and year when the current marriage started. Responses were provided by those legally married or in a registered cohabiting partnership. The data are top coded at 69+ years.
Comparability — Indonesia [top]
This information is only available for the 2005 sample and was asked only of females age 10 or older who have ever been married. The variable records the duration of the marriage in years.
Comparability — Jamaica [top]
The universe is limited to females only who currently live with their partner. The data include both marriages and consensual unions.
Comparability — Poland [top]
The data for 2002 was calculated from the year when the current marriage started. The enumeration instructions for this sample provide specific rules to register the date of contracting marriage. The data are top coded at 71+ years.
Comparability — Trinidad and Tobago [top]
In 1970, the duration of marriage is provided only by women who were married or in a common law partnership. The census question requested the duration of the current union for women younger than 45 and the duration calculated at that age for those older than 45. For higher comparability, DURMARR only includes the information for women younger than 45, but the additional data can be found in the unharmonized source variable for this sample. The data are top coded at 35+ years.
Comparability — Uruguay [top]
This information is only available for the 2006 sample. The variable applies to persons who are or were previously married or cohabiting.
- Argentina 2001: Persons in their first union or marriage
- Austria 1981: Currently married persons
- Austria 1991: Currently married persons
- Austria 2001: Currently married persons
- Brazil 1991: Currently married persons
- Germany 1970: Currently married persons
- Germany 1971: Currently married persons
- Germany 1981: Currently married persons
- Hungary 2011: Currently married persons
- Indonesia 2005: Females age 10+ who have ever been married
- Jamaica 1991: Females currently in a marriage or union and living with their partners
- Nigeria 2010: Currently married persons
- Poland 2002: Persons age 15+ who are legally married or separated
- Trinidad and Tobago 1970: Women 14- 45 who are married or in a common-law partnerships
- Uruguay 2006: Persons 14+ currently or previously married/cohabiting, who completed the fourth trimester questionnaire
- Argentina: 2001
- Austria: 1981, 1991, 2001
- Brazil: 1991
- Germany: 1970, 1971, 1981
- Hungary: 2011
- Iceland: 1901
- Indonesia: 2005
- Jamaica: 1991
- Nigeria: 2010
- Poland: 2002
- Trinidad and Tobago: 1970
- United States: 1900, 1910
- Uruguay: 2006