Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

Ministry of the Interior
French Republic
National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies
Form number 10
General Population Census 1962
Manual for Enumerators

This manual includes two parts:
- The first part gives you general information about the way in which you should carry out the census in the district (or districts) which will be assigned to you.
- You should read this first part carefully and know the information it contains thoroughly.
- The second part is in the form of an alphabetical glossary which will allow you to quickly find the rules to be applied in each specific case by directing you to the corresponding paragraph of the first part and by giving you supplementary information.
You will only need to consult this glossary when you are faced with a specific case; there is no need for you to read it in detail, but you should glance over it so that you know the type of information you will find therein.

[Table of contents was not translated into English.]
[Pages 1 - 12 were not translated into English.]

3. The house and the building questionnaire (Form number 4)
Form number 4 required a building questionnaire be filled out:
1. For all inhabited housing, of any type and of any material, including antiquated buildings and make- shift housing, including partially inhabited buildings which are under construction;
2. For all construction used for housing, even if unoccupied at the time of the census (vacant dwellings), excluding buildings which are being demolished or which have become completely uninhabitable due to age;
3. For all groupings of administrative, industrial or commercial buildings, even if uninhabited.

What is a "house"?
The house
3.1 For most houses used for housing [maison d'habitation], whether it is a question of single- family homes or apartment buildings (1), there is no difficulty in identifying a "house" and filling out the corresponding building questionnaire.,
But you should, more generally, establish a building questionnaire for all buildings whether inhabited or not, including:
- Temporary shelters built in towns struck by disaster, whether they are used for habitation or for professional use;
- Inhabited shelters associated with temporary worksites;
- Shelters or huts which are in fact inhabited, even if these are temporary buildings, in poor condition, or unfit for human habitation (shantytown huts, etc);
- Industrial buildings (factories, warehouses, etc.);
- Commercial buildings (banks, movie theaters, hotels, automobile service stations on the side of the road, etc.);
- Administrative buildings (city halls, court houses, fire stations [caserne], etc.);
- Hospitals, clinics, retirement homes, sanatoriums, etc.;
- Academic institutions (schools, technical colleges, boarding schools, etc);
- Various public buildings (post offices, train stations, churches, museums, caretakers' houses for community cemeteries, etc.);
- Important public monuments, castles, etc.
You do not need to establish a building questionnaire for:
- buildings under construction which are not yet inhabited;
- Buildings which are being demolished or which have become completely uninhabitable (2) due to age or acts of war (unless they are still inhabited on the date of the census);
- - Unimportant buildings which are not used for habitation (gardeners sheds, shelters, private garages, outlying hangars, etc.);
- Campers and other mobile dwellings.
- Do not establish a building questionnaire for a simple soccer field, but do establish one for a stadium with buildings (for ticket windows, dressing rooms, showers, etc.).
[Footnote] (1) Single- family house: comprising a single dwelling; Apartment building: comprising several dwellings.
[Footnote] (2) In order to skip filling out a building questionnaire, the building must truly have no chance of being occupied again.
Building questionnaires will be filled out for new buildings:
- As soon as they are inhabited, even partially, and even if they are not completely finished;
- As soon as they are finished, even if they are not yet inhabited (buildings which have been connected to electricity will be considered finished).

Special cases.
3.2 For residential buildings (public housing projects, worker's housing development, mining villages, duplexes [pavillons jumelés])... as well as for rural buildings or important industrial buildings, you may wonder if you should establish one or several housing questionnaires.
It is impossible to give exact rules on this issue, but following are some general guidelines which can help you make a decision.

3.2.1 Residential buildings. In general, a residential building is considered a separate building, for which you must fill out a separate building questionnaire if it has a certain independence. This means that, in principal, it has its own entrance, is not connected with neighboring buildings on the inside, has separate electrical, water and gas hook- ups, and, more generally, provides unified services [services unifiés] (caretaker, mail distribution, garbage, etc.)
For example:
- For a building which has one house [maison] on the street and one on the courtyard, fill out a single housing form if there is a single street number and unified services [services unifiés] (a single concierge, a single water, gas and electric hook- up, etc.);
- But if the house on the street is independent (especially if it belongs to another owner), fill out a housing form;
- In the case of a worker's housing development (mining village in mining areas), fill out as many building forms as there are individual houses;
- In the case of a duplex, fill out 2 building forms.
3.2.2 In the case of a large housing development such as public assistance projects [H.L.M.], consider each portion of the development which has a separate entrance, either onto the street, the yard, a private courtyard or private street, as a separate building when the sections of the development bear letters or numbers (stair or building A, B, C etc., or 1, 2, 3, etc.).
Because the number that you give to each dwelling within the building (see form number 6, page 3) cannot go above 99, any bloc with more than 99 dwellings must be divided into 2 or more sections, and each section is considered as a separate building with a separate building form.
Divide large apartment blocks in such a way that any connection between sections which are considered separate buildings is impossible (or at least unusual).

3.2.3 Rural buildings. In this case, the assorted agricultural buildings related to a single farm and grouped in a single place (dwelling, stables, barn, etc.) are considered a single building for which only one building form must be filled out, even if some of the buildings are on the other side of the road or lane (for example).

3.2.4 Industrial or commercial buildings. As in the preceding case, various buildings which together constitute a single industrial or commercial establishment (workshops, hangars, stores) make up a single building.
By analogy, establish a building form for a large train station and its various annexes (machine storage, signal boxes, etc.)

3.3 Explanations related to different questions about the housing form.
Remember that the building form must be filled out entirely by you, and must never be left with the residents.
As for the address, don't forget the directions in paragraph 2.8.2
As for the list of dwellings, see paragraphs 4.1 and 4.2. Don't forget that only dwellings in categories 1- 7 (see the first page of the housing form) must be written down on this list, with the exception of premises occupied by the population counted separately or by collective households.

3.3.1 Question 1 - Type of building
Check off only one of the six boxes. Explanations about the information on the questionnaire contained under each category heading are below.
Type 2. Make- shift housing
A shelter not designed to be inhabited, but which is nonetheless used as habitation. Typical cases: trucks/freight cars [wagons] or other vehicles which have been made immovable, shelters in a shanty town; bomb shelters, fortifications, houses falling into ruin.
Buildings built to be used as housing should be classified under category 5 or 6, even if they have become more or less unfit for human habitation due to age or lack of upkeep (as long as they have not fallen into ruin), and even if the equipment/fittings [équipement] do not conform to modern standards.
Type 3 To be checked off for constructions intended to be inhabited, but having a provisional or temporary nature. Typical cases: shelters built for victims of a natural disaster, or for workers at temporary worksites.
Types 5 and 6 The buildings listed in categories 1 through 4 should be classified as type 5 or 6 depending on whether their use is mainly for habitation or, conversely, for industrial, commercial or administrative use.
By convention, houses with a single dwelling and a single professional premise (shop, craftsman's workshop) should be classified in category 6.
Don't forget to specify fully the nature of the construction when you check off type 2 or type 6. If you are uncertain about a specific case, write it at the end of the question and note it at the end of the question and possibly point it out to the administrator [délégué].

3.3.2 Question 2 - Predominant materials
Walls: Check off a single one of the boxes and then specify, to the extent possible, the material or materials which have been mainly used.
In addition to the materials explicitly listed in heading 2, include all non- durable materials used for temporary constructions. For buildings made of wood, wooden siding [pan de bois], cob (wattle) or adobe, always check off box number 2, even if the building is permanent (question 1 will inform you as to the nature of the building, either temporary or permanent).
In cases where both types of materials (categories 1 and 2) are used (such as farms or agricultural buildings, for example), check off the single category that corresponds to the type of material principally used in the building (or part of the building) which is inhabited.
Roofing: All information provided above in relation to walls extends to roofs.

3.3.3 Question 4 - Year in which construction was completed: this information is important. You should do your best to question the owner in order to find out this information; also, persons who have been living in the house, the neighborhood, or the town for a long time (can supply this information). Many buildings, especially in towns, have the building completion date engraved or painted on the facade of the building.
For the first 4 categories, it is often enough to find out the building completion date to within a few years to be able to answer correctly. Lacking direct information, you can sometimes classify buildings by comparing them to others which are typical of that time period. For example, in some towns entire sections are from the 17th or 18th century and easily recognizable. The town hall may be able to let you know if there are large groups or blocks of buildings built at well- determined time periods.
For buildings built since 1948 (box 5) you should make a special effort to specify the completion date.

3.3.4 Question 5 - Origin of water used for domestic purposes
Check just the box which corresponds to the origin of water used for domestic purposes (especially for the kitchen) without considering the origin of the water that may be used for watering plants, cattle, etc.
In the case of a public water supply, check off box number one if piping brings the water to the building. Check off box number 2 if water must be carried.

3.3.5 Question 8 - Discharge of toilets and household waste water
Check off a single box for question 8a and a single box for question 8b. Only use boxes 1 for question 8a and 8b if there is a sewer system in your district which is able to carry the effluent and household waste water. The town hall should inform you as to the existence and nature of the sewer system.

3.3.6 Question 9 - Central Heat
Check off only one box. Category 2 corresponds notably in the case of some of the large, modern housing developments whose various buildings are heated by a single boiler. Likewise for the case of some workers' housing developments and engineers housing [villas d'ingénieurs] heated by the factory.

3.3.7 Question 10 - Farms
The following is considered a farm if:
1 - All the land, regardless of what surface area is used for animal or plant production (is) under the direction of a single farmer, market gardener, horticulturalist or any other profession related to farming.
2- All the land (woods, quarries or gravel pits, ponds, building plots, excluding private parks and gardens) of one acre or less is used for general or mixed- use farming, of at least 20 ares [an "are" equals 119.6 square yards] in specialized cultivation (market garden, vegetable garden, arboriculture, fruit trees, flowers, vineyards), regardless of the principal activity of the person who farms it.
Such land use is usually supervised by a person who states an occupation related to agriculture for question 11 of his individual form (principal occupation), with said occupation usually practiced as a landowning farmer, farmer or tenant farmer.
However, the management of a farm, (in the broad sense used in paragraph 2 of the definition above) is frequently a subsidiary or secondary occupation for persons who have declared other principal occupations in question 11 of their individual form (factory worker, shop- keeper, rural craftsman, etc.). It may even be the case that the person who manages such a farm declares himself/herself to be without a profession (retired, etc.).
For a farm situated within a town:
- If the operator (owner, farmer, tenant farmer or manager) lives in the town, his dwelling is considered as the "headquarters" of the farm;
- If the operator doesn't live in the town, the farm buildings are considered as the "headquarters" of the farm;
- If the operator doesn't live in the town and the land has no buildings on it, the farm is not included in the census (there is then no housing form which corresponds to the farm on which to write it down).
A farm with its headquarters in the town may extend into neighboring communities. In this case take into consideration the total land area of the farm (all parcels of land, including those which are in other towns).
To allow you to locate the farm headquarters in your district without omitting any, the city hall may give you the list. Otherwise the file of farms held by the town hall may be of help to you (form [fiche] M1 of the agricultural census of 1955). In all cases, you should verify the information on this list or the file and perhaps bring them up to date (creation or disappearance of farms may have escaped the notice of the town hall; the land area may have changed).

4. Dwellings, and pages 1 through 4 of the housing form (Form number 1)
During your first visit to a building, you should inventory its dwellings and start a form number 1 for each of them. You yourselves should fill out the first page of this form.
In numerous specific instances, the meaning of "dwelling" [habitation de logement] must, of necessity, depend on convention. The general population census has conventions which are specific to it; they are listed below and you should know them thoroughly. Naturally, these conventions are not universally known; thus, you alone must decide, by applying the rules listed below, if such a premise, such a room or such a suite of rooms should be considered a separate dwelling. You should not let the inhabitants decide this themselves, according to their personal estimation. It is only in this way that the census of premises used for dwelling will have the desired precision.
Whenever there is more than one dwelling, you should indicate its location in the building. (see § 2.8.2)

4.1 General definition of dwellings

4.1.1. In general, a "dwelling" consider a dwelling [logement d'habitation] as premises which are separate and independent, and used for lodging.
The premises (a single room or a suite of rooms) must be separate, that is, it must be completely closed by walls and partitions; it must not connect with any other premise, unless by common areas of the building (stairs, entry, etc.)
The premises should be independent, that is that it must have an independent entrance, from which one has direct access to the outside or to the common areas of the building (stairs, entry, etc.), without it being necessary to cross other premises occupied by other persons.
The premises must be used for dwelling: take into account the current layout [disposition] of the premises and not the original layout of the building. Thus, form number 1 won't be filled out for old dwellings which have been completely renovated as (or are used as) offices, stores, workshops, etc. However, form number 1 is to be filled out for make- shift housing (building type 2 on the housing form, see § 3.3.1) which is used as a shelter by a person, a household or a family which lacks any other residence.
Additionally, you should keep in mind the current layout use of the premises, and not the original layout. For example, if 2 dwellings have been joined by opening a passage between the two to make an apartment inhabited by a single household, you will fill out only one of form number 1. However, you will establish 2 housing forms when 1 dwelling has been divided into 2 independent parts (each part possessing its own individual access, with any passage between the two having been blocked and each part inhabited by separate groups of people).

4.1.2 Errors to avoid. It sometimes happens that 2 "households" (in the narrow sense often given to this term (1) live together in the same dwelling and share certain facilities (kitchen, toilet, etc.). In such a case, you should establish a single form number 1, and not 2 of them: never forget that form number 1 is a housing form and not a "household" form. This rule should be followed notably in the following cases, which occur frequently:
a. When a young married couple lives with their parent while waiting for their own dwelling, you should fill out only one form number 1 for the dwelling used in common by the young couple and the parents (to fill out two number 1 forms, the dwelling would have to have been reworked into 2 completely separate parts so that the 2 "households" could live separately: see above);
b When a non- independent part of dwelling is rented, sublet or lent to tenants, sub- tenants, paying lodgers or other people lodged there, then that part of the dwelling is not subject to a separate form number 1 (renters, sub- letters, paying guests and lodgers who occupy non- independent rooms are written down on list A after the person who is lodging them and the people in his/her household).

4.1.3. Special case of the house (or villa) on two levels (ground level and (first) floor) It often happens that such homes are inhabited, according to circumstances:
- by a single household;
- or by 2 households.
In the latter case, fill out 2 housing forms if each household lives independently from the other, i.e., if the condition a or condition b is met (see below):
a. The 2 households do not take their meals together and one household occupies the entire ground floor whereas the other couple occupies the entire first floor;
b. The 2 households don't east their meals together and each one has a normally equipped kitchen available.
[Footnote] (1) A group of people living together on the same budget (for example, eating together) is often designated as a "household." And, in an even more restrictive sense, "household" is sometimes synonymous with "married couple."

4.2 You should classify each dwelling in one of the categories 1 through 7 (first page of form number 1). The following explanations about each category clarify for you the idea of dwelling in certain special cases.
4.2.1 Category 2. Independent Room(s) rented or sublet or lent to individuals. Certain dwellings have an independent annex (i.e., with direct access to the outside or common areas of the building, without having to cross premises occupied by other persons). This is the case, for example, of dwellings which have a maid's room located on a different floor (which is common in the Paris metropolitan area). If the owner of the principal dwelling has such an annex for himself (to house a member of the family, a servant, etc.), a separate housing form should not be filled out for the annex. If, however, the annex is rented, sublet or lent to individuals, you must fill out a separate form by checking off box 2 in the lodging category and adding the name of the owner of the principal dwelling (this information may allow the main dwelling and its annex to be considered as a separate dwelling for certain uses of the census).
The rooms classified in category 2 must always be attached to a main dwelling, with which they normally make a single grouping.
4.2.2 Category 3. Furnished room in a hotel or furnished house [garni]. Some clients of these establishments reside there most of the year (for example, students who live most of the school year in a hotel room); others don't have another residence (example: single people who live permanently in a hotel, young married couples who have not yet found other lodging).
In such cases, begin a housing form number 1 for each room (or possibly apartment) occupied by one household, or one person living alone. Check off box number 3 of the dwelling category, and box number 6 for question 4 (page 4).
Category 3 of dwelling should be used only for furnished rooms or apartments in hotels, inns, family- run boarding houses, (building type 4, question number 1 on the building form). In particular, it should not be used for students living in university housing or student hostels, nor should it be used for young workers living in residence hostels [foyers] (see the bottom of the first page of form number 3, and § 6.2, below.)
4.2.3 Category 4. Temporary Construction Used for Habitation. This category will of course be used for all lodging in a type 3 building (question number 1 of the housing form). Additionally, you can use it in the exceptional case where only part of a building (type 1, 5 or 6) is of a temporary nature (if you come across such a case, describe it completely).
4.2.4 Category 5. Make- shift housing. This category will of course be used for all type of lodging of a type 3 building (question 1 of the building form). Also classify in this category an improvised shelter in premises unfit for human habitation (cellar, attic, barn, shop, workshop, etc.) located inside of an ordinary building; indicate fully the nature of the premises.
4.2.5 Category 1. Ordinary dwelling. This category includes all ordinary dwellings (with the exception of those special cases enumerated in categories 2 through 5) provided that they are occupied as the "principal residence."
If someone has several residences, the principal residence is the one where he/she spends most of the year.
4.2.6. Category 7. Secondary residence. This category includes all ordinary dwellings used as secondary residences. Typical examples include: country homes, villas, vacation housing, etc. Furnished apartments or lodgings, rented or for rent during the tourist season in resort areas, will also be included in this category.
4.2.7 Category 6. Vacant dwelling. This category includes ordinary vacant dwellings, i.e., they are unoccupied as either a principal or secondary residence. Normally such lodging is available for sale or rent, but not necessarily. For example, box number 6 is checked off for recently- completed new housing which is already allotted [attribué], but not yet occupied by the renter or owner.

4.3 Page 4 of the housing form (questions 1 through 9)
You yourselves should fill out page 4 of the housing form (except question number 4) for secondary residences and vacant lodgings.
For principal residences, you should verify and complete the answers provided by the inhabitants. Question 1 through 9 must always be answered.
In addition to the explanation provided on form number 1, keep in mind the following guidelines:

4.3.1. Question 1 and 3. Between questions 1 and 3, there should never be more than a single response: a room must be counted either in question 1 (if it is considered a kitchen), or in question 3 (if it is considered a dwelling room [pièce d'habitation]), but never both at the same time.
Case of dwellings comprised of a single room: In the country, one frequently finds dwellings (dwelling category 1) comprising a single room which serves as the common area, and which has kitchen fittings (faucet, stove etc.). In town, one frequently finds premises comprised of a single room (dwelling categories 2 or 3).
In all these cases answer "1" on question 3 and "no" (no kitchen) on question 1.
Question 1 - In the case of a furnished room which has a simple hot- plate and in which there is no faucet, check off box 6 (and not 5).
Question 3 - In accordance with the above guidelines, all dwellings have at least one dwelling room [pièce d'habitation]). Thus, question 3 will never have a response of "0".
In some dwellings, there is no separation (or there is a portable divider) between the dining room and the living room: in such cases, count 2 rooms if there is a divider [amorce de cloison] and only one room if there is none.

4.3.2. Question 4 Question 4 should have a single response.
Cases 1 and 2
Case 1 - Included in this case are:
- Owners of a single- family home who live in the home;
- Owners of an entire apartment building living in one of the apartments in the building.
Case 2 - This category is concerned only with cooperative buildings ("co- ops") or collectively owned buildings [immeubles collectifs en copropriété ou en société](1). For such buildings, dwellings inhabited by the co- owners (or shareholders [sociétaires]) should be included in this category. Exclude those dwellings rented to another household by co- owners or shareholders.
Beneficiaries of a decedent's estate who inhabit the property in joint tenancy should not be classified in this category. They should be counted in box number 1.
[Footnote] (1) The stock giving the right to the (legal) enjoyment of a dwelling
Case 3 - The only persons to be included in this category are: those who work and are housed by their employer, either free or for a fee, and for whom the dwelling is part of the contract linking the employer and the employee, i.e., if the person changes jobs he/she must leave the dwelling. Examples: a teacher whose housing is provided by the school, stationmaster, caretaker or watchman of a factory who is housed within the factory walls, etc.
The following are notably excluded:
- Persons - for example, retired persons - who have kept the housing provided by their former employer;
- Tenants of a building which belongs to the employer, but for whom no housing is provided for in the work contract and who could, as a result, keep their housing if they change employers.
Case 5 - Check this box for all renters or sub-tenants of empty premises, with the exception of those who are housed by the employer (box number 3).

4.3.3 Questions 5 through 9
Question 5 - Check off only 1 box.
Question 6 - Boxes 1 and 2 may both be checked off.
Box 1 is to be checked off provided that there are pipes carrying gas into the dwelling, even if the occupants do not have a contract for use of the gas at the time of the census.
Question 7 - Check off only 1 box. Only take into account the fittings which are for the exclusive use of the occupants of the dwelling. For example, you should not check off box number 1 for a shower that is shared by all of the furnished rooms (dwelling category 3) of a hotel floor.
Question 9 - For a single- family house equipped with central heat (box number 5 of question 9 on the building form), check off box number 1.
Box 2 is used only for heating which is unique to a single dwelling inside of an apartment building.
Question 5, 6 and 9 Verify the consistency of the answers provided for questions 5, 6 and 9 of the building form and its housing forms.
Question 5 If boxes 1, 2 or 3 have been purposely [á bon escient] been checked off on any one of the housing forms, box 1 or box 3 should be checked off on the housing form.
Question 6 - If box number 1 has purposely [á bon escient] been checked off on any one of the housing forms, box number 1 must be checked off on the building form.
Question 9 - The following table indicates the connection between the answers on the building form and those on the housing form:
[The following information is displayed in a table]
If box 1 or 2 was checked on the building form, the response on the housing form is:
- Almost always box 1
- Rarely box 2
- Rarely box 3
If box 3 (apartment building) was checked on the building form, the response on the housing form is:
- Almost always box 1
- Rarely box 2
- Rarely box 3
If box 4 (apartment building) was checked on the building form, the response on the housing form is:
- Never box 1
- Rarely box 2
- Almost always box 3
If box 5 (single- family house) was checked on the building form, the response on the housing form is:
- Always box 1
- Never box 2
- Never box 3
If box 6 (single- family house) was checked on the building form, the response on the housing form is:
- Never box 1
- Never box 2
- Always box 3


5. Pages 2 and 3 of the housing form
persons to be enumerated and individual forms number 2

In principle, the occupants of principal residences (dwelling categories 1 through 5) should:
- Fill lists A and B of the housing form themselves;
- Fill out an individual form for all persons written down on list A.
So that all inhabitants are enumerated without omissions, and are not double counted, you should carefully verify that the directions on form number 1 have been followed. Furthermore, additional guidelines are given below and in the second part of these instructions (glossary) to help you resolve special cases.

5.1 List A and List B. Only persons who normally live in the dwelling in question should be written down on these lists; exclude those who are present by chance at the time of the census.
After excluding the persons explicitly enumerated in the heading [l'en- tête] of list B, the general rule is to write down on list A all persons having the dwelling in question as their customary principal residence.
For most persons, the habitual residence merges into [se confond avec] their domicile, but there may be exceptions. The term customary residence is to be understood as the place where one normally lives, which may be different than the legal domicile. For example, the legal domicile of a married woman living away from her husband is that of her husband, but she should be enumerated at the place of her actual current residence
The customary residence thus constitutes the situation as it is [le fait] and is not a legal situation.
Fill out report [bulletin] number 2 for all persons written down on list A and only for those people.
Persons written down on list B fill out the report at the place they are staying at the time of the census, i.e.:
- In an establishment whose population is counted separately (those who are ill and being treated in a sanitarium, a preventorium, inhalatorium or a psychiatric hospital; members of the armed forces, boarding- school students);
- In a collective household (elderly staying in a retirement home, students living in university housing);
- In a different dwelling (children in infant daycare, children placed in other houses [placés comme gens de maison], etc.; students staying in a hotel room or in private housing [chez des particuliers] during the school year).
Armed forces personnel stationed outside of metropolitan France will be enumerated by the Ministry of the Army.
Special Case - It sometimes happens that a head of household or his/her spouse resides at his/her place of work during the week (in a furnished room, for example) and returns to his/her family home on the weekend. In this case, they should be enumerated with their family and not at their place of work.
As for those who are ill and being treated in a health- care facility, only those who are staying in a sanitarium, a preventorium, an inhalatorium or a psychiatric hospital (restrictive list [liste limitative]) should be written down on list B. People staying in a regular hospital or clinic (for example, those undergoing an operation) or maternity hospital should be written down on list A.

5.2 Frame D (at the bottom of page 3). This frame is provided so that you may more easily recognize special cases that may arise in any dwelling. When you collect the housing form, look systematically to see if a person has been written down. If yes, look at the person's situation and make a decision: if a form has been filled out and should not have been, destroy it and cross the person off of list A. If, however, the person was not written down on list A and should have been, write them down and have the form filled out.


Persons traveling for the duration of the census.

5.3 Frame C (at the bottom of page 3). Some persons will be absent from their customary residence for the entire duration of the census. If there is no one at their residence to answer for them, they may be left out, or their form may be filled out incompletely or incorrectly.
If persons passing through your district(s) are in this situation, it has been provided that you can collect their number 2 reports [bulletin] for them. File these reports in special folder number 22 and turn them into the town hall as you collect them. The town hall will send them along to the town hall of their customary residence.
You will receive the same sum for these reports [bulletins] as for the others.


5.4 The following should not be enumerated:
- Foreign members of the diplomatic corps living in embassies;
- Foreign armed- forces personnel living in barracks, camps;
- Aliens traveling through France at the time of the census (tourists, business travelers).
However, the following should be enumerated:
- Members of the armed forces or public officials staying in town [logeant "en ville"];
- Aliens who have settled in France.
The following will be considered as having settled in France and will thus be enumerated and counted in the legal population in the same way as a French Person:
1. Any alien who studies or works in France (and of course his/her family, if they live with him/her), with, however, the exception of seasonal workers (those workers have a contract for seasonal work and an entry visa from the Ministry of the Interior).
2. Any alien residing in France (occupying a dwelling there) (1).
In case of doubt, notably for aliens who are not employed staying in a hotel at the time of the census, enumerate:
1. Aliens who have been in France for more than 3 months;
2. Aliens who have been in France for more than 3 months and who are authorized to settle here, i.e., they hold:
- An establishment visa [visa d'établissement] of more than 3 months duration (issued by the Ministry of the Interior or the national immigration office);
- A receipt for application for a residence permit;
- A residence permit.

Muslims From Algeria

5.5 Muslims from Algeria who are living or working in metropolitan France should be enumerated in the typical way.
[Footnote] (1) However, do not enumerate an alien (someone who lives in a neighboring country on the border) [frontalier], who just has a country house or a vacation home.


5.6 Vacant dwellings and second residences. For dwelling categories 6 and 7, you should never fill out lists A and B and of course you should not make individual reports [bulletins].

5.7 Explanations related to various questions on individual form number 2.

Question 6 - The address to write down here is always that of the dwelling, i.e., always the one that you yourself have written down on form number 1. It is repeated here in case the forms accidentally get out of order. (If you have collected the forms for transient persons, there address should be indicated in the frame at the bottom right of the form).

Question 7a and 7b - Their purpose is to allow for the study of internal migration in metropolitan France from 1954 to 1962, i.e., between 2 general censuses. They will also provide information about foreign immigration or immigration from countries located outside of metropolitan France. In order to answer these questions, each district [arrondisement] of Paris is considered as a town [commune].

Question 7c - Make sure that this question is filled out for all persons who indicated a residence outside of metropolitan France on January 1, 1954 on question 7a.

Question: 10 - General Certificate of Secondary Education [Brevet d'études du premier cycle]; accelerated vocational training [formation profesionnelle accélérée]; national professional school: [Ecole nationale professionnelle]
Only those persons who truly hold a diploma should check off the corresponding box. Exclude those who have taken correspondence courses without receiving a diploma.

Questions 11 through 17 The questions on professional activity are especially important. You should check carefully to make sure they are filled out carefully
Question 11: This question is of capital importance. It is impossible to be too specific in this category.
Read carefully the following explanations and the examples given on the individual report [bulletin individuel], as well as the following list:
Examples of inadequate answers which should not be accepted under any circumstance and comments

1. Answers which are inadequate because they are not specific enough:


Indicate exactly the occupation of the person in question. For example: department- store salesperson, metal turner, chemical engineer.

Civil Servant
Railroad employee
Gas company worker

Specify the rank or job of civil servants and employees of public services. For example: accounting and order clerk, combined- use railroad agent [facteur mixte S.N.C.F.].


Answer in this way, for example: retail grocer, automobile repair mechanic, director of a noodle factory.

2. Answers which are inadequate because they are incomplete:

Qualified laborer
Team leader

The above indicate the professional rank, but do not give the individual occupation.

Question 12 - Unpaid workers who help another person in his/her job
It may sometime happen that certain persons - above all, women - work helping another person in his/her job without receiving any pay for their work. These persons should answer "yes" to question 12, even if they only work as such on a part- time basis.
This question concerns, for example, the wife of a farmer who participates in farm work, or the wife or daughter of a shopkeeper who spends a few hours a day at the shop as a salesperson or at the cash register.
Question 13 - Household employee. This category is not intended for persons who are self- employed and work at home (craftsmen, seamstresses, milliners). It applies only to persons who work at home, often on a piecework basis, for an industrial or commercial establishment which pays them on this basis. Such is the case, for example, of certain designers for fashion magazines, persons who work for design houses, etc.
If these persons have several employers at the same time, indicate in question 15 which is their principal employer.

Question 15 - This question concerns all persons who have stated a profession in question 11, including public service employees, municipal employees and civil service employees. These persons should indicate the name and address of the administrative agency at which they work.
In some cases the establishment may coincide with that of their domicile; it must nevertheless be written again.

Question 16 - This question concerns all those persons, and only those persons, who fulfill both of the following conditions simultaneously:
- Is not currently working
- Is currently seeking employment
When referring to these persons, do not use the word "unemployed," which has a specific and slightly different meaning.

6. Important special cases

6.1 Establishments with populations counted separately
Persons living in certain communities constitute what is called a "population counted separately." The list of such persons is found on form number 3 under the title "Population Categories Counted Separately." Read this list, which is restrictive, carefully, as well as the "notice" [nota bene] (at the bottom of form [feuille] number 3). They give explanations about certain categories of persons to be excluded from the "population counted separately."
In the establishment (barracks, boarding school, etc.) the persons in the "population counted separately" (and only those persons) are written down on a number 3 form [feuille] (instead of a number 1 form).
Persons in Categories 1 through 4 fill out a number 2b A [2 bis A] report [bulletin]. Additionally, if they have a personal residence in metropolitan France, they fill out a number 2b B [2 bis B], report [bulletin] which is sent to the town hall of their personal residence (in their personal residence, these persons will be written down on list B of form number 1, and no form number 2 will be filled out for them.
Persons in Categories 5 and 6 fill out report [bulletin] number 2c [2 ter]
If you have an establishment in your district with a population counted separately, it will be indicated to you by the town hall on form [bordereau] number 6 (page 4, table 1). Enumerate the establishment according to the specific instructions that the town hall gives you, and turn in the completed forms 3, 2bis or 2 ter to the town hall by the 13th of March at the latest.
If, in the course of your rounds it appears that a community belonging to the population counted separately (according to the instructions on form number 3) has not been indicated to you by the town hall, let the town hall know as soon as possible and they will take the appropriate measures.
For the numbering of the questionnaires concerning the population counted separately, see form [bordereau] number 6 (p. 3, § I, 7).
The population counted separately is not written down on the establishment's housing form.
For special cases (barracks, educational establishment, sanitarium, psychiatric hospital, prison, etc.) see the glossary for the 2nd half.

6.2 Collective households
All persons living in communities which are not enumerated in the "population counted separately" constitute what are called "collective households." A collective household is a grouping of persons who don't live in typical dwellings, but stay in specific establishments in single or collective rooms and, often, eat together. For example:
- Nurses or health- care assistants, service personnel, etc., of public or private hospitals;
- Teachers, monitors, service personnel, etc. of public or private boarding schools;
- Service personnel of very large hotels
- Members of religious communities;
- The sick or boarders in certain establishments;
- Students who are lodged in university housing or student hostels;
- Young workers staying in hostels;
- Elderly living in retirement homes
For such communities, fill out:
- A number 1 form. Check off dwelling category 9 and specify the nature of the collective household;
- One number 2 report [bulletin] for each person.
A collective household is not written down on the building form for its building.

[Pages 27 - 38 were not translated into English.]