Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

Council of Ministers of the German Democratic Republic
Central Office for Statistics
Population, occupational, housing, and building census on December 31, 1981

Household list

Printed matter 1/01

City/municipality: (organization office)
(Stamp) _ _ _
Place [Stuetzpunkt]: _ _
City district/residential district: _ _ _
Count area: _ _
Count section: _
Serial number of the building in the count section: _ _
Serial number of the residence in the building: _ _ _
Serial number of the household in the residence: _
Number of persons belonging to the household: _ _

Name and address of the household
________ Name
________ Zip code/city
________ Street, number

Legal foundation: Statute from December 1, 1967 Law Gazette of the German Democratic Republic 1 number 17 p. 135, ordinance on the execution of the population, occupational, housing, and building census on December 31, 1981.

The census takes place in order to gain exact records about the number and composition of the population, households and families about the occupational structure, the education level and the housing situation. These results serve management and planning and form an important basis for economic and social policy in the interest of all citizens of the German Democratic Republic.

All persons entrusted with the census are sworn to secrecy about the information that they attained on the occasion of the census. The information will be used for statistical analyses.

Which census lists should be filled out?
1. Every household receives a household list, in which all persons belonging to the household should be entered. All persons that live and keep house together are included. If a single person lives and keeps house for themselves alone, they are also considered a household. Sub-leasers are considered their own household.

2. A personal list should be filled out for every person belonging to the household. If this person has a secondary residence registered with the police other than the main residence, then they should be entered in the list to be filled out at the location of the main residence as well as at the location of the secondary residence.

3. A housing list should be filled out for every residence, even if it is occupied by several households. Every household enters the information applicable to themselves.

Who fills out the census lists?
In households with several persons, the household members appoint an adult person that undertakes filling out the census lists. As a rule, this will be one of the spouses. The population census law obligates the questions listed in the census lists to be answered correctly, completely and on time.

When recording you should make sure that under no circumstances those household members that are not staying at the household on census day are forgotten, because they are doing their military service, are abroad for travel or business, or are at a training course, the hospital or in jail.

Household members that have obtained a secondary residence for professional, job training or education reasons should also be recorded.

Enter all persons belonging to the household in the following section.

The person appointed to fill out enters themselves first. For all further persons, the relation to the person filling out the form should be stated, for example: husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, grandchild, life partner, etc.

Person number _____
Last name ________
First name ________
Relation to the person filling out the form ________

The household occupies the residence as...? (Mark applicable circle)

[] 1 Renter
[] 2 Member of a housing cooperative
[] 3 Owner
[] 4 Sub-leaser

After filling out, please check and confirm the completeness and correctness of the entries in the census lists with your signature:

________ (Enumerator)
________ (Enumeration instructor)
________ (Signature of the person filling out)

See backside for directions on filling out the census lists!
Please have the census lists ready for pick up starting on January 2, 1982.
We thank you for your responsible participation.

[next page]

The information in the person census lists and the housing lists are evaluated with a new computer process that helps save work, costs and time.

Every household provides a valuable contribution if they fill out the provided sections of the list with great care.

The census lists should not be folded, damaged or dirtied under any circumstance.

Directions for filling out the person census list

Question 4: Address of the main residence, address of the secondary residence
If a person has a main residence and a secondary residence for professional, job training or education reasons, then both addresses should be stated for this person.

Question 6: Number of children born
All children should be stated, even if they no longer live in the household, were not born in the existing marriage or are already deceased.

Question 7: Which types of income do you draw?
Persons that draw maternal benefits, orphan social benefits, social welfare benefits, etc. indicate this under "which other types."

Question 9: Education completed
The highest degree completed should be marked, for example: "Abitur" [qualification for university entrance] or "10th grade" or "8th grade." This also applies to students. Then, for example, for a student in the 11th grade "10th grade" should be marked.

Question 10: Vocational education completed
The vocation learned or the field of the vocational degree that was achieved through training or awarded through attestation should be stated. The complete designation according to the official school certificate (e.g. skilled worker certificate, diploma) should be stated. For example:

Not "engineer", rather "engineer for railroad construction equipment"
Not "civil engineer", rather "civil engineer for hydraulic engineering"

A semi-skilled worker degree is valid if the person concerned is in possession of a corresponding school certificate.

If a person has several degrees in the same education level, for example, two semi-skilled worker degrees, then the one last attained should be stated. "Guest studies," "post-graduate studies," "doctorate," etc. should be entered under "which other education?"

Regarding questions 11 to 13:
For mothers that are currently on leave due to the birth of a child, questions 11 to 13 should still be answered. In question 12, "leave" should be entered in addition to the job held.

Question 11: Are you employed as...?
Only members should be entered as "agricultural production cooperative member". For members of the horticultural production cooperative and the production cooperative for working fishermen, "agricultural production cooperative member" should be marked.

Only members of production cooperatives for handicrafts, fishery production cooperative and council of lawyers should be entered under "other cooperative member."

"Family workers" work in the firm without conclusion of an employment contract.

Question 12: Job held at the place of work
The job held should be stated as detailed as possible. For example:

Not "worker", rather "warehouseman, transport worker"
Not "brigadier", rather "construction brigadier"
Not "master craftsman", rather "master craftsman for plant production"

Employees in administrations and institutions state their official position.

Question 13: Name and address of the place of work/location of work
State the name of your firm, firm section, branch office, foreign firm and the address as detailed as possible.

Construction and assembly workers state the name, location and district of the construction or assembly firm, for which they are employed at a construction or assembly site, and additionally state the location of the place of work and district/city of this construction/assembly site.

Employees whose work location is constantly changing, e.g. driver, state the headquarters of their firm or firm section for which the regular operation takes place in the question about the location of work.

Employees that are temporarily working in another firm through delegation and the like, state the name and address of the place of work that made the delegation.

Home workers state the name and address of the place of work that they work for. The place of residence should be entered as the location of work.

Employees in cooperative facilities of agricultural production cooperatives, horticultural production cooperatives and state-owned farms, state as the place of work the name and address of their agricultural production cooperative, horticultural production cooperative or their state-owned farm. The municipality where the employment generally takes place or where the employed person is primarily active should be stated as the location of work.

Members of production cooperatives for handicrafts, self-employed persons (manufacturers, tradesmen and retailers) and persons of liberal professions and their employees state the firm/branch type. So, for example: vehicle workshop, bakery, carpenter's shop, retailer, architect.

Directions for filling out the housing list

Section B: Information on the rooms of the residence
Living rooms are rooms that are intended for living purposes. Included are living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, studies and nurseries.

A kitchen, where meals are taken or where a sleeping accommodation is present, is not considered a living room. It should be entered under "kitchen/kitchenette."

Adjoining rooms outside the residence, for example, attics and basement rooms, are not recorded with the census and for that reasons are also not included in the determination of the area.

Regarding the determination of the area in section B
Determine the area of every room in square meters. Do not estimate the area, rather measure the length and width of every room.

Example calculation: length X width = area
5.5m X 4.2m = 23.1 meters squared.

For rooms whose layout deviates from a square or rectangle (e.g. living room with bay), only the area should be entered.

If a room has slanted walls or ceilings (e.g. in a penthouse), then of the entire area of the room, only that area over which the room height amounts to at least 1.8 meters should be stated.

The area of a kitchen or kitchenette that is shared by two or more households in the residence should only be stated once. The same goes for other shared rooms in the residence.

Section C: Residence facilities
If your residence has several heating types or several types of hot water supply, mark all existing types.

In the presence of a shower cubicle in the residence, then "bath/shower in the residence" should be marked.

If a communal bath is located in the building, then "bath/shower outside the residence, but in the building" should be stated.

If questions arise that you cannot answer while filling out the census lists, please confidently contact your enumerator who will gladly help you.