Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

[p. 1]

Census of Canada
Instruction Booklet

Census Questionnaires, 1971
Dominion Bureau of Statistics

[p. 7]

Instructions for Questions 1 to 7

1. It is very important that all usual members of the household (including those temporarily away on vacation, business, at school, etc., as well as those with no home elsewhere) be listed. When entering names, follow the order shown below to ensure that all members of the same family group are enumerated together:

1 Head of household
2 Wife of household head
3 Unmarried children in order of age, eldest first
4 Married children and their families
5 Other relatives and their families
6 Lodgers and their families
7 Employees and their families
8 Other members of the household.

2. Include as "son or daughter" a stepchild or an adopted child, as well as foster children or wards for whom no pay is received. An unrelated foster child or ward for whom pay is received should be marked "Lodger". Be sure to (i) fill the "Other" circle, and (ii) write in the actual relationship to the household head for all persons for whom no marking position has been provided.

3. Because so many first names, such as Jean, Francis or Leslie, could refer to either a male or female, Question 1 is not a sufficient indication of a person's sex. You are required to fill the circle opposite either Male or Female for Question 3.

4. "Now married" is to be marked for each person whose husband or wife is living, unless the couple are separated or divorce has been obtained; e.g. "Now married" should be marked for the following:
(i) persons temporarily living apart because one person is employed elsewhere or is in the Armed Services;
(ii) persons living apart because one person is in a hospital or sanatorium.

"Separated" is to be marked for persons (whether or not legally separated) who have been deserted or who have parted because they no longer want to live together but have not obtained a divorce.
"Divorced" is to be marked for each person who has obtained a legal divorce and has not remarried.

5. In this question you must understand the language you report. If you do not now understand the first language you learned, report the next one that you learned and still understand. For infants who have not learned to speak, report the language spoken must often in the home.

6. Print the month and year of your birth in the first section. Fill the appropriate circles in the second, third and fourth sections, one circle only should be filled for each of these sections. If the precise date of birth is not known, give the best estimate possible. Study the examples on the page on the left.

7. Be sure to mark "Yes" or "No" to this question, which appears at the top of page 3. If there are more than 7 persons in your household, the eighth person in your household will be entered as Person 1 on the second questionnaire with which you have been provided, the ninth person as Person 2, etc.

[p. 8]

H1. Mark "Owned or being bought by you" if the dwelling belongs to you, or some member(s) of the household whether it has been fully paid for or not. Mark "Rented" if you are a tenant, even if no cash rent is paid to the landlord. A dwelling which is rented with an option to buy is considered "rented" until the option is taken up.

H2. According to census definition a dwelling must be structurally separate and have a private entrance from outside or through a common hall or stairway.
If you have to go through someone else's living quarters to enter yours, you should be enumerated as part of that household.

H3. Fill the circle opposite the description which best describes your dwelling; the sketches and comments below will help you decide which circle should be filled.
[Sketches skipped. See original for details.]

Single house
A structure with one dwelling only, separated by open space from all other structures, except its own garage or shed.

Single house attached
A single house attached to another non-residential structure (such as a store, etc.), but separated from it by a wall extending from ground to roof.

Semi-detached or double house
A dwelling joined to only one other dwelling, separated from it by a wall extending from ground to roof, i.e., one of two attached dwellings separated by open space from all other structures.

Row house
Each dwellings, separated from each other by walls extending from ground to roof. "Town houses", "garden homes", "maisonnettes", etc. are considered row houses.

One of two dwellings, one on top of the other, but not joined to any other building. Include dwellings built as "single", but in which the basement or upper storey has been converted to from a structurally separate apartment with its own entrance.

An apartment in an apartment building or in a house that has been converted into
apartments. This includes dwelling types such as triplex, quadruplex, etc., or apartment(s) in a non-residential building such as a school, or over a store.

[p. 9]

Mobile dwelling
A mobile home of any kind, such as a trailer, a houseboat, etc. used as a permanent home. If the trailer has been placed on a permanent foundation, mark "Single house".

H4. In the case of apartments, check with the building superintendent or janitor, if you are in doubt as to the number of units.

H5. You should included rooms occupied by servants or lodgers, and summer kitchens, recreation rooms, etc., if they are finished rooms suitable for year-round living. Remember that you do not include garage, pantries, closets or halls, or rooms used solely for business purposes.

H6. Do not include water from a hand-pump as "piped running water". If this is your only source of water, fill the circle opposite "No".

H7. An installed bath or shower is one operated from a piped water supply and equipped with a tap and drain. "Used by another household" means used in the same building. It does not mean used by another person or persons in the same dwelling.

H8. If your household does not have the use of a flush toilet inside the same building, fill the circle opposite "No".

H9. If you have no telephone, try to give a Telephone number at which you can be reached.

H10. The period in which this building was constructed refers to the completion date of the original building. If exact age of this building is not known, please make the best guess you can.

H11. Fill the circle opposite the period in which the Head of this household has continuously lived in this dwelling. If the person has moved away and back again, report the period since last move.

H12. Fill circle "Owned" if you, as Head of this household, owned your most recent previous dwelling even if it was not fully paid for. Fill circle "Rented" if you, as Head of this household, were a tenant, even if no cash rent was paid to the landlord.

H13. Include all rooms designed and furnished as bedrooms and used mainly for sleeping purposes, even though the use may be occasional, as in the case of a "spare" bedroom.
Do not include rooms used regularly, as dining-rooms, etc., during the day, but as bedrooms at night.

H16 and H17. If in doubt in the case of apartments, contact the superintendent or janitor.

[p. 10]

H17. Make certain that one circle is filled under each column, i.e., one under "House heating", one under "Cooking", and one under "Water heating". Show the fuel used most often. Piped gas refers to metered gas, such as natural gas distributed by a pipeline. Bottled gas refers to propane or other gas distributed in pressurized containers. Include other liquid fuels, such as kerosene under "Oil or other liquid fuel".

H18. Include station-wagons, but no panel or other trucks. Do not count cars permanently out of working order. Do not count company cars if used entirely for business purposes.

H19. A vacation home includes hunting cabins, ski chalets, summer cottages, or any other dwelling used mainly for recreational purposes on a seasonal basis only.

H20. Complete the "Yes" circle for each item found in your dwelling whether it belongs to you, a lodger or a relative who is a member of the household.

H21. See instructions for Question H1 concerning rules for "owned" and "rented".

H22 to H25. These questions are to be answered by owners only.

H22. For owners only. If you have marked your dwelling as a single house, state and the value of the entire house, including the value of the land it is on and of any other structure, such as a garage which is on your property. If you occupy a dwelling (other than a single house) within a building which you own, do not give the value of the entire building. Estimate the value of your dwelling by multiplying by 100 the amount of rent per month which you could obtain for that one dwelling.

H23. Remember that a house is mortgaged until it is fully paid for.

H24. The holder of the first mortgage is the person or organization to whom you make your mortgage payments.

H26 to H29. These questions are to be answered by tenants only.

H26. Either a "Yes" or a "No" circle must be filled for every part of this question.

H27. Report total cash rent for your dwelling, adding together the rent paid separately by different members of your household if the rent is shared. You must enter as rent the total amount of case you pay to your landlord even if this amount includes any of the facilities listed in H26 and H28. Report dollars only for this question.

H28. If payment for water, electricity, gas (piped or bottled), and fuel is included in your total cash rent, fill the circle opposite "None".
If fuel is not included in your rent, enter last year's cost of fuel for this dwelling. New tenants who do not know the additional cost of these services make the closest estimate possible.

[p. 11]

H29. If your rent is reduced for any of the reasons listed, or you pay no rent at all, mark the correct reason. Otherwise, be sure to mark "No reduced rent".

11. If born in Newfoundland or Labrador, fill the circle for "Nfld." Whether or not you were born before Newfoundland became a province of Canada. If you are not sure of the country of your birth because of boundary changes, print in the space provided the name of the nearest city or district of birth. If you were born in one of the six counties of Northern Ireland (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, Tyrone), fill the circle for "U.K."; if born in any of the other counties, fill the circle for "Rep. of Ireland".

12. Fill the circle for the period (or year) when you first came to live in Canada.

13. In the case of adopted children, the place of birth of the adoptive parents (that is, the persons who are presently responsible for the children) is required and not that of the natural parents.

14. Persons born in Canada are Canadian citizens unless they have lost their citizenship.
Persons born outside of Canada who have obtained Canadian citizenship papers should fill the circle for "Canada".
Persons who have not yet become Canadian citizens and have lost their former citizenship, or have no citizenship for any other reason, should write "Stateless" in the space provided above "Other, write here".
Persons who are citizens of more than one country should enter only one citizenship, preferably the last one acquired.

15. Ethnic or cultural group refers to descent (through the father's side) and should not be confused with citizenship. Canadians belong to many ethnic or cultural groups-- English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Ukrainian, Jewish, Native Indian, Negro, Chinese, Lebanese, etc.

Use as guide if applicable in your case:

1 The language you spoke on first coming to this continent, if you were born outside of Canada.
2 In born in Canada, the language spoken by your ancestor on the male side when he came here.

16. Please give a specific denomination, if possible, even if you do not attend a place of worship. For infants and young children, report the religion in which they are being brought up.

17. If you speak two or more languages at home, report the one which, in your opinion, you use most frequently. If you live alone, report the language which you use most frequently in your daily routine.

18. Do not report a language studied at school unless you can conduct a conversation in it. By this we mean being able to carry on a conversation of some length on various topics.

[p. 12]
19. Mark "Yes" if you have attended at any time since last September:
1. an elementary school (public or private);
2. a secondary school (high school, collegiate institute, technical high school, vocational
high school or junior high school);
3. a university (including colleges which offer courses leading to a degree);
4. other institutions such as seminaries or schools for the blind or deaf which provide an
equivalent type of general education leading to an elementary or high school diploma;
5. a technical institute;
6. a teachers' college, community college, or nursing school not affiliated with a
7. a private business college; or
8. a private or provincial trade or vocational school.

A person should be considered as attending full-time if he is taking 75% or more of the normal course load in the grade or year in which he is registered.
Part-time courses should include only organized instructional classes aimed at expanding knowledge or skills. Exclude activities which have no educational aim or which are not planned in systematic sequence (e.g., isolated public lectures).

Fill one circle only to indicate highest grade or year attended. (Persons currently enrolled should give their present grade or year.)
Fill the circle for "No schooling" for children in day nurseries and nursery schools that do not have an educational programme.
Persons studying to complete a regular school grade by private instruction, correspondence or part-time attendance at class should report the grade or year in which these courses would be included in the regular day-time programme.
Persons who received their education outside of Canada or who did not attend a regular graded school, should make the best possible estimate of the level of schooling completed. The following guides may help:
(1) Grade 13 is Senior matriculation year in Ontario and British Columbia.
(2) Grade 12 is the Senior Matriculation year in Nova Scotia, Quebec and the Prairie
(3) Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Prince Edward island do not have Senior
Matriculation. The normal school leaving years (Junior matriculation) are Grade 12 in Prince Edward island and New Brunswick, and Grade 11 in Newfoundland.
(4) In the Classical Colleges of Quebec, "Versification" is considered equivalent to Grade
11, and "Belles-Lettres" as beyond the secondary level (see Question 23).
(5) In the British school system, 5th Form (Grammar school or Public school) is to be
equated to Grade 13, and 6th Form to the first year at university.
(6) In the continental system, the first four years of Middle School (Lyceum, Gymnasium, College, etc.) correspond to Grades 9 to 12.

22. If you received your education in Canada, mark "This province" if you completed your highest grade of elementary or secondary school in the province in which you reside; otherwise, enter the name of the province where you completed your highest grade in the space provided.

[p. 13]
Fill one circle only on each line.
If you have attended only part of a year at university or have attended the qualifying year, fill
the circle for "University 1".
If you have completed the 2nd (Sophomore) year at university but have taken three years to do
so, fill the circle for "University 2".
If you completed the 1st year in an Arts course then transferred to Medicine (or any other
faculty) and completed the 1st year of it, fill the circle for "University 2".
"Other" type of post-secondary schooling includes trade or business schools, institutes of
technology, community colleges, CEGEP's (in Quebec), teachers' colleges, schools of nursing, etc. Be sure to fill the appropriate circle (None, 1, 2, 3 +).
If you took one year in each of two different types of post-secondary schools (e.g., one year at
a technical institute and one year at teachers' college), fill the circle for "Other 2".

"Yes, a university certificate or diploma (below Bachelor level)"
Fill this circle if you have completed a university certificate or diploma course, but have no university degree.

"Yes, Bachelor degree"
Fill this circle if your highest academic qualification is a Bachelor degree in the faculties of Arts, Science or Commerce (e.g., B.A., B. Sc., B. Comm. in a general or an honours course).

"Yes, First Professional degree"
Fill this circle if your highest academic qualification is a first level university degree in such specialized fields as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, law, theology, education, engineering, architecture, forestry, etc.

"Yes, a Master's or equivalent, or earned Doctorate"
Fill this circle if you have an M.A., M. Sc., or other Master's degree or equivalent post-graduate diploma or certificate in medicine. If you have an earned Doctorate such as a Ph.D. or Ed. D., fill in this circle also.

This question refers to full-time vocational or occupational courses of at least 3 months duration taken by you at any time.
Do not include courses leading to a high school diploma or to a university degree, certificate or diploma.
Do not include courses which you are presently taking but have not yet completed, or courses which you commenced but dropped before completion.
Include the following only if they were taken to improve your occupational qualifications: (1) arts and craft programmes; (2) literacy or language courses; (3) investment or homemaking courses; (4) music or other cultural courses.
Courses within the Armed Services should be included, provided they are of 3 months full-time duration and are useful in civilian life.
For recording apprenticeship training, mark in part (b) the entire length of the apprenticeship, not just the part spent in formal class-room or shop instruction.
Be very specific in describing your course (e.g., "house wiring" is more specific than "electricity"; "cabinet-making" is more specific than "woodwork").

[p. 14]

Be sure to fill one and only one of the four circles.
If you have filled the bottom circle, be sure to enter the name of your locality of residence 5 years ago and the county and province in which it is located. Where a name is used both for a parish and a town, etc., please indicate which is correct by adding the type, i.e. Granby town or Granby parish. If you were living in a suburban municipality, enter its name rather than the name of the large metropolitan area of which it forms a part, e.g., East Kildonan rather than Winnipeg.

We want to measure actual movements of population within Canada, not changes in address due only to municipality boundary changes (or name changes). Therefore, consider your residence 5 years ago in terms of present municipality boundaries.

If you came to this country from abroad, do not include your arrival in Canada as a "move", but count each later move within Canada since June 1, 1966.
Students who have left their home base temporarily to attend university or to take summer employment, should not count these as moves.

28 and 29. Note that these questions refer only to persons who are now married or have been married at one time. Question 28 is to be answered by both men and women and Question 29 by women only.
28. If you have been married more than once, report only the date of your first marriage.
29. Count all babies born alive that you have ever had, whether born of this marriage or any previous marriage. Include those who died after birth and those now residing elsewhere. Do not include adopted or stepchildren. Fill the "None" circle if you never had a baby.

30. Include any service during wartime in the active military forces (Army, Navy, or Air Force) of Canada or its allies of that war. If you have had service in both World War I and World War II, be sure to fill in both the "Yes" circles.
Do not include service in the following semi-civilian organizations:

Merchant Marine
Red Cross
St. John Ambulance Corps
Civilian Fire Fighters
Salvation Army
Knights of Columbus War Workers
Civilian instructors in service schools or establishments
Civilians attached to reserved units of the military.

(a) Fill the circle opposite 1-19 or 20+ hours according to the actual hours you worked last week under on one or more of the following conditions:
(1) Your worked for someone else even for a few hours on a full-time or part-time job,
for wages, salary, piece-rates, tips, commission, or payment "in kind" (such as room, board, or supplies received in place of cash wages).

[p. 15]
(2) You operated your own business or professional practice, alone or in partnership; this includes operating a lodging-house.
(3) You operated your own farm, either owned or rented, alone or in partnership. Mark hours worked even if no profit was made.
(4) You preformed services last week for which you were paid in kind (or cash) while undergoing training, for example, a nurse-in-training in a hospital.
(5) You served in the Armed Forces.
(6) Your worked with pay for non-family members at such jobs as baby-sitting, keeping house, sewing, delivering papers, etc.
(7) You served as a member of a religious order as a priest, monk or nun.

Note that "hours without pay, worked for a related member of our household" should be reported in part (b).
Fill the circle opposite "None" if none of these conditions apply. Housework in your own home, volunteer work and school homework are not to be considered as work for the special purposes of this question.
(b) Fill the circle opposite 1-19 or 20+ hours as appropriate if you worked without regular money wages for a related member of your household in a family business or farm. Otherwise, fill the circle opposite "None".
Note: Self-employed persons should report their hours in part (a) and not in part (b).
(c) Fill the "Yes" circle if, at any time last week, you:
(1) actively looked for work by efforts such as:

contacting a Canada Manpower Centre;
placing or answering advertisements;
writing letters of application for jobs;
registering at a private employment office;
meeting with prospective employers; or

(2) would have actually looked for worked but for your own temporary illness or the belief that there was no work available.

(d) Fill the "Yes" circle if, at any time last week, you were on temporary lay-off (for not more than 30 days) from your job.
(e) Fill the "Yes" circle if, at any time last week, you were absent from your job because of:
(1) illness, vacation, labour dispute at your place of work, bad weather, fire, personal
reasons, etc.; or
(2) training courses or educational leave with or without pay provided your job is being
held for your return.

This question is asked to determine the number of people with recent or any work experience.
If you worked last week, please fill the circle "In 1971".
If you did not work last week but have worked at any time in 1971 or 1970, you should fill the circle "In 1971" or "In 1970" according to when you last worked.
If you did not work at all in 1971 or 1970 but have worked at any time in your life before 1970, fill the circle opposite "Before 1970" and skip to Question 40.
"Never worked" should be marked only if you have never had a job or business, or never been in the Armed Forces in your lifetime.

[p. 16]

33 to 38.
If you had a job last week, answer these questions for your job last week even if you were absent from work because of temporary lay-off, illness, vacation, labour dispute, training courses, etc.
Answer the questions for the same job. If you had more than one job last week, give information for the one at which you worked the most hours.
If you had no job or business last week (with or without pay), give the information for your job of longest duration since January 1, 1970.

33. Fill the circle opposite the hours group that includes the number of hours you usually work in the job described (i.e., in your job last week or if no job last week, in your job of longest duration since January 1, 1970, whether with or without pay). Include overtime hours only if you usually work overtime. Exclude time not worked during mealtime and time spent on another job, own housework or on volunteer work. If the job described involved different hours at different periods of the year, give the usual hours for the longest period.

34. Enter the complete name of the employer for whom you worked, for example, "Canadian National Railways, Freight Office" (not CNR). In doubtful cases, give the name of the agency or person paying your wages or salary, for example, "Canadian Corps of Commissionaires". Enter your won name if self-employed without a business name.

35. Write a complete description of the business, industry, or service in which the employer, named in Question 34, is mainly engaged. Usually more than one word is required. Indicate the general nature of the business by using such terms as manufacturing, service, wholesale, retail, etc. Indicate the commodity or service by such words as paper, grocery, clothing, hospital. Some examples of complete and incomplete entries are given below:


Golf club
Electrical appliance repair shop
Lumber wholesale
Retail gasoline station
Municipal waterworks


Electrical work
Lumber company
Oil company
Public utility

36. The three parts of this question refer to your occupation in the industry reported in Question 35. More than one question is required to ensure that people doing similar work will be put in the same occupational group in our statistics. Office workers may be mainly filing, typing, or calculating payrolls; professional such as engineers or lawyers may be working in their profession or in managerial positions; factory workers may be sewing garments, operating drill presses or acting as foreman of such operations, etc. Try to distinguish between the general kind of work you are doing, your most important activities or duties and your job title, i.e., the term used by the business or organization for you position. Be as precise as you can. One-word descriptions are often not complete. Some examples of complete and incomplete entries for parts (a), (b) and (c) of Question 36 are as follows:
[p. 17]

1. (a) Maintaining electrical equipment
(b) Electrical repair and maintenance
(c) Apprentice electrician
2. (a) Operating a packaging machine
(b) Wrapping paper serviettes
(c) Wrapping machine operator
3. (a) General office work
(b) Typing and filing
(c) Clerk-typist
4. (a) Electronic testing and inspection
(b) Testing electronic components
(c) Electronic inspection technician
5. (a) Wheat farming
(b) Operating a wheat farm
(c) Wheat farmer
6. (a) Operating a pharmacy
(b) Dispensing and selling drugs
(c) Proprietor--Retail drug store


1. (a) Maintenance
(b) Repair work
(c) Apprentice;
2. (a) Factory work
(b) Operating a machine
(c) Machine operator
3. (a) Clerical
(b) Office work
(c) Clerk
4. (a) Technical
(b) Inspection
(c) Inspection technician
5. (a) Farming
(b) Farm work
(c) Farmer
6. (a) Owner
(b) Selling
(c) Proprietor

37. Fill the circle opposite "Working for wages, salary, tips or commission" if in the job reported you were engaged for wages and salaries, or
(1) you worked for piece-rates;
(2) you worked for payment "in kind" in non-family enterprises, e.g. as a member of a
religious order;
(3) you worked on commission as a salesman for only one company and did not maintain
an office or staff;
(4) you worked for various people as an odd-job labourer or as a baby-sitter, etc.

Fill the circle opposite "working without pay in a family business or farm" if you worked without regular money wages for a relative who is a member of the same household, at tasks which contributed to the operation of a business or farm owned and operated by the relative.
Fill either the circle opposite "Self-employed without paid help" or "Self-employed with paid help" as appropriate and indicate whether your business or farm was incorporated if you:
(1) operate a business or professional practice, alone or in partnership;
(2) operate a farm, whether you own or rent the land;
(3) work on a free-lance basis or contract to do a job;
(4) work as a private duty nurse.

38. If possible give the full address, e.g., 121 Main Street, Home-town, Queens County, Ontario, if the full address is not known, use one of the following suggestions:

(a) name of area; e.g., York Shipping Centre, York Industrial Park;
(b) name of building; e.g., Hometown Civic Hospital;
(c) side of street and nearest corner; e.g., South side, Main Street at First Avenue.

If in the job reported you had no usual place of work, see the following instructions:
[p. 18]

(1) You did not work in one location but reported regularly to a headquarters, e.g., bus or taxi driver;
(2) Your home or the farm on which you live was your place of work;
(3) You have neither a fixed place of work nor a usual headquarters (other than home).
(1) Write in address of local headquarters or depot;
(2) Fill the circle "At home";
(3) Write in the address where you most often worked in the job described.

(a) Please note that in counting weeks worked during 1970 you should:
(1) count as a week, any week in which you worked, even if you worked only for a few
hours in that week;
(2) include weeks of self-employment, weeks of paid vacation, paid sick-leave, etc.;
(3) fill the circle opposite "49-52" if you are a school-teacher or hold a similar job in which you are paid for the full year, even though you are not actually working at this job for the full year.

(b) Be sure to indicate whether these weeks reported were mainly full weeks of work or mainly weeks in which you worked only part of a week.
(1) If you worked every Saturday during the year, fill the circle opposite "49-52" in part
(a) and fill the circle opposite "Part-time" in part (b).
(2) If you worked full-time for 9 months (39 weeks) and part-time for 4 weeks, fill the circle opposite "40-48" in part (a) and opposite "Full-time" in part (b).

40. Please note these important points:
1. Information on your questionnaire is strictly confidential by law and no individual or department outside of DBS has access to your personal records.
2. Just as your census questionnaire can never be seen by the Taxation Department, your income tax form can never be seen by the Dominion Bureau of Statistics. This is why we ask you to report income again on your census document.
3. Income reported in this question should be the total received during the calendar year 1970.
4. Please give amounts in dollars only. Do not report cents.
5. If you are not sure of an answer, make your best estimate.
6. Please answer every part of this question whether you were working or not. If you had no income from a given source, fill the "None" circle.
7. If you received income from abroad, please quote it in Canadian dollars. However, if you immigrated to Canada since January 1, 1970, do not report income received before your arrival in Canada.
(a) Report total wages and salaries before deductions for income tax, pensions, etc. (do not give take-home pay). Include military pay and allowances and add in all tips, commissions and bonuses received during 1970. Do not include free room and board or reimbursement for travel or other work expenses. Salesmen who worked for more than one company, or who maintained their own office or staff, should report in part (b). Owners of an unincorporated business should report I part (b) or (c).

[p. 19]
(b) Give an amount only if you owned and operated a non-farm, unincorporated business or profession during 1970, whether by yourself or in partnership. Please report net earnings (gross receipts minus expenses of operation). Do not subtract personal deductions such as income tax and pensions.
In case of a partnership, report only your share of the earnings. If you lost money, give amount and write "Loss".

(c) Give an amount only if you operated a farm in 1970, by yourself or in partnership. Give your net income (gross receipts from farm sales minus depreciation and costs of operation). In cases of partnership, report only your share of the earnings. Cash advances should be included in gross receipts for the year in which they are received. Wheat reduction payments should also be included as farm income when determining "net income from operating a farm". Answer the question even if you employed a fired manager to run your farm, and deduct the manager's salary as expenses. If you rent out your farm, report your rent receipts in part (d) 6. If you lost money, give amount and write "Loss".


1. Report family and youth allowances if you actually received the cheques. Do not report them to the children for whom they are paid. Payments are usually made to the mother or legal guardian.
2. Do not include retirement pensions to civil servants, RCMP or military personnel. These should be reported in (d) 4.
3. Include here also workmen's compensation, mothers' allowances, pensions for widows, the blind and the disabled, as well as cash welfare payments and training allowances from all levels of government. Include veterans' disability pensions and allowances. Retirement pensions for career military personnel should be reported in (d) 4.
4. Report here any income you received as a result of previous employment by yourself or a deceased relative. Include pensions to retired RCMP, career military or Civil Service employees, and all annuities regardless of who purchased them. Do not include cash refunds made in a lump sum.
5. Report interest from deposits in banks, trust companies, co-operatives, Credit Unions, etc., as well as bound and debenture interest and all dividends.
6. Include here net rents from real estate (including farm land), mortgage and loan interest, regular income from an estate or trust fund, and interest from insurance policies. If this total is a loss, write "Loss" beneath the entry.
7. Include here all regular income (not one-time lump-sum payments) not covered in the questions above. Examples are:

(i) Alimony;
(ii) Child support;
(iii) Payments from Children's Aid for care of wards;
(iv) Periodic support from persons not in the household;
(v) Net income from roomers and boarders;
(vi) Income from abroad (i.e. pensions) except dividends and interest, which should go into (d) 5; and
(vii) Scholarships.