Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

Austria 1971 Enumerator Instructions
People's Census, Houses and Dwelling Census 1971

Guide for enumerators

[pp. 2-3 omitted]

The Census papers

The Census papers individually

You should not be alarmed about the following listed right Census papers. Rarely does an enumerator use all eight. The household list, persons sheet, and, for the most part, also the house overview will probably be handed out by every enumerator.

Concerning additional papers, the enumerator will still only receive the census forms HWZ-A for houses with 1 or 2 dwelling in sparsely developed areas however many dwellings exist: the enumerator in the city in contrast will usually only receive the Census papers for houses with 3 or more dwellings. Institutions, for which a specific Census paper is used, are located only in few census areas and are assessed directly by the municipality for the most part.

Household list
Print type VZ 1

This form serves as a complete registration of the population. All persons belonging to a household should be noted on a household list, indifferent if the person, at the time of the census is a resident but absent, or predominantly absent, or rather, only temporarily absent.

For persons held up in guesthouses, hotels, pensions, etc., the owner of the accommodation business will complete the household list.

For institution households, special forms are provided, see page 10.

Persons form
Print type VZ 2

For every person, who lives in the dwelling and therefore on the household list has boxes in column 5 or 6 marked, must also complete a Persons sheet. This serves as a registration of characteristics for every individual resident in Austria.

Overview of the household in houses with 2 or more households (house overview)
Print type VZ 4

The household overview belongs to the People's Census-Control papers. If a person lives in a house with more than one household, then a house overview should be supplemented, with which it can later be checked, if a census paper is required for all households.


For the houses and dwelling census, the census papers are split in two.

Census form for the houses and dwelling census
Print type HWZ-A

The Census form HWZ-A is intended for apartment complexes with 1 or 2 dwellings and for farmhouses. The contained questions are especially directed toward these houses. The house owner or his /her representative, who is, as a rule, a tenant of the house, should complete it. Therefore, this sheet can be dispersed in most cases together with the People's Census forms.

House form
Print type HWZ-B/1

The house form, which is dispersed at the same time with the building sheet (see below), should be completed by house owner or their representative for houses with 3 or more dwellings, as well as houses with non-agricultural and forest industrial business offices. When the house owner (or rather, their representative) does not reside in the house themselves, the house and building sheets should be given to the caretaker to be passed on to the house owner or their representative. The house form contains only questions that concern the house as a whole.

Building form
Print type HWZ-B/2

The building sheet contains preprinted questions about the building and those dwelling with are therein contained, as well as business offices. It should be passed out together with the house form. If a house contains multiple buildings or staircase houses (staircase used as a way of dividing the dwellings within one larger building) or rather more than 20 dwellings or 12 business offices, then the above-mentioned additional building sheets should be given to the house owner.

Note the explanations on the Census papers.

Before you read any further here, read through completely the explanations on the Census papers. The following advice supplements these explanations and should simplify your work.

[Page 6 omitted]

The household list

Who receives a household list?

Every household in the census area should be given a household list. Therefore not only the permanently residing persons, but also those, who are only temporarily absent on the census day, also for example foreign tourists.

The so-called "exterritorial" persons (who are ambassadors and messengers from foreign countries, the embassy employees with foreign citizenship, as well as the foreign representatives of international organizations, in each case also with their families) are not required to complete [the form by law]. Embassy employees with Austrian citizenship must in contrast complete the census papers.

What is a "household"?

A household consists of persons who live and work together (refer to the explanations on the households list). For this reason, there can also be multiple households within a dwelling.

Whether a family with living parents or stepparents in the same dwelling comprises their own household, you must allow those persons to decide. As a note for the "joint economy", it can consist of, for example, joint meals, joint household economy, and the use of the same living quarters. A household can also consist of only 1 person. When a household is divided between multiple dwellings, then, nonetheless, all household members should be noted on one household list.

Who is the "household representative"?

The tenants themselves must decide which person from the household is seen as the "household representative", that is the representative of the household for outside the household. In case of doubt, mark man from the middle generation as the household representative. "Household representative" should not be confused with "housekeeping", or rather the work in the household. The dwelling tenant cannot be the household representative.

If Column 5 or 6 is marked--complete a Persons sheet.
If Column 7 is marked--do not fill out a Persons sheet.

In order to guarantee that every person in Austria is counted only a single time, very specific explanations and instructions must be given on the household list for cases of doubt. See to it that pupils and students less than 21 years are counted as living with their parents; therefore there [at that residence] Column 5 or 6 are marked on the household list of their parents. Separate from their parents, pupils and students less than 21 years living at the place of study must therefore marked the box in Column 7 at the place of study. Unmarried employed persons, who live with their parents but have a second accommodation (dwelling, sublease, sleeping space) at the place of work, these persons are included as living in these second accommodations (Column 5 or 6), also when they are under 21 years of age. In no case can children under 15 years live alone, that is without their parents in a dwelling, be marked as a resident (Column 5 or 6). In such borderline cases, a clarification should be arranged for through the municipality.

Due to the fact that, according to the regulations of the registration law, a person can also be registered as "permanent" in multiple dwellings, the police-like registration is mentioned nowhere on the explanations of the people's census. Therefore it does not also depend on the marking of Column 5 or 6 on the registration sheet.

The treatment of immigrant workers on the household list

The explanations on the household list can be inferred that unmarried, divorced, or widowed immigrant workers are counted as residents (Column 5 or 6) in their Austrian accommodations, if they do not have children that are not provided for in their homeland.

Married immigrant workers, or rather those who have children not provided for, are only then counted in the Austrian accommodations as residents when the spouse or known children live in the same accommodations. If this is not the case, then these immigrant workers should be marked as "only temporarily present" (Column 7). For these persons a special arrangement applies, which is found on p. 15.

Column 8 of the household list

For temporarily absent or temporarily present persons, Column 8 must also be completed.

[p. 8]
The person form

The persons sheet is thus constructed that the left half must be completed by all persons and the right half only by every noted group of persons. The most important tips concerning the answering of the questions are taken from the persons sheet itself. Detailed explanations are found on page 4 of the household list.

Name and Address

With the name, the academic title should also be given.

Questions 1-9 of the persons sheet

Every person must answer all these questions. Only Question 1 can be omitted for children who are not yet 5 years of age. For married persons, the date of the last marriage must also be given.

On page 5 of the household list, one finds the exact instructions for Questions 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8.

The "permanent residence"

Question 2 concerning the permanent residence is important for the allocation of the National Council mandates for the constituency, for which the stated regulations are omitted in the explanations. In most cases, the permanent residence and the municipality, in which a person completed their persons sheet, are identical. When this is not the case, here in Question 2, the municipality of the permanent residence must be given.

Question 10 of the persons sheet

Every person must answer must answer either by marking or with words about the
predominant livelihood. However, only one answer is allowed--as is clearly noted on the persons sheet.

Whoever works 14 hours weekly on average is considered as "employed".

For a person who is a family member assisting in a family business, especially for housewives, who assist with the business of their husband, for pensioned persons with a side job and for working students it is often difficult to determine if they are employed. In such cases, it is noted in the explanations as a decision making aid, a minimum average weekly time of 14 hours [is required]. Any persons who works less, is "unemployed". Any person who therefore works 14 or more hours a week on average, is considered as employed.

With Question 10 it is decided, which questions on the right half of the persons sheet must be answered. If "employed" was marked, then all questions on the right-hand side of the sheet should be answered. If "Child, pupil, student" was marked, then questions 12 through 14 for the currently attended school should be answered--omitted naturally are children who do not yet attend school. If "unemployed" or "active duty personnel" is marked, then all the questions on the right-hand side of the sheet up through question 14 should be answered (an employment therefore cannot be given for this person). As a result, give answers about the last practiced profession or the previously attended school.
If something different was marked or written in words in Question 10 (i.e. pensioner, retired person, or housewife, etc.), thus only Question 11 should be answered. For Question 10 of the persons sheet, compare also the test specimen on page 16.

Question 11 of the persons sheet

This question must be answered by all persons who are 15 years of age and older. At the every least, the first box (Community school, secondary school, etc.) must be marked (Control question). For the following questions, only the successfully completed training programs are allowed to be given. If the box is marked, the trained profession or the field of study of the completed training (11 c, d) must also answered.

Due to the fact that, by each box, only a single field of study can be evaluated, it is desirable that, by answering, the most important field of study should be noted. In case of doubt, the answer that is the truest summary as the practiced profession should be chosen.

For graduation diplomas, do not forget the graduation year.

[p. 9]

Questions 12 and 13 of the persons sheet

For employed persons, the workplace should be answered here, where the daily profession can be found. Because the address of the workplace is promoted for the commuter statistics, the address of the management is therefore not intended but the building, or rather meeting place from which they are brought to the workplace. For police officer it is the patrol office, for traveling salesmen, if need be, it is their own dwelling, etc. Only employed persons who have a different workplace everyday, in order that an answer is futile, should answer "alternating work sites".

For pupils and students, here give the specific type of school (e.g. "technical school for electrical engineering", "advanced technical apprenticeship for electrical engineering") or the address of this school. Therefore all children must give an answer here who are 6 years and older. Unemployed persons and active duty personnel should give the previous work site or the school last visited.

Question 14 of the persons sheet

Question 14 must be answered by both pupils and students, as well as employed persons. Only unemployed persons and active duty personnel are exempt from answering--because they currently do not attend school or go to a work site.

For those persons whose dwelling and work site or school lie in the same house or on the same property (above left on the persons sheet and for question 13 the same address), mark the box "yes, on the same property" and with that have answered the question completely. All other persons must answer the sub-questions a) as well as b) and c). Whoever does not return to their home daily (within 24 hours) but has accommodations on the work site, answers Questions b) and c) for the commute to the accommodations at the work location to the work site.

Question 15-17 of the persons sheet
[Questions 15 - 17 were asked of employed persons, active duty guardsman, and unemployed persons only.]

The Statistic Central Office checks the answers for Questions 15 and 17 in the systematic register, so that they can be coded correctly for consolidation processing with the computer. For a very general restrained held answers, for example "office employee", the person in charge however does not know whether the person should be classified as an authorized signatory, accountant, shorthand typist, or paper sorter. If in question 17 for example only "metal branch" is marked, then this could just as well be a car factory, an art lock-making or an ironware store. Therefore the most accurate possible answers are requested. If someone remarks that they are not able to describe their profession, a description of work of the employed person or the type of product or the services of the business or the department is also sufficient.

Census list for institution households
Print type VZ 1a and insert for
Print type VZ 1a, as well as supplement for
Print type VZ 1a

These census papers correspond to the household list (VZ 1), is arranged especially for the registration of persons who are placed in institutions. Under "institutions" also fall well-being institutes, care institutes, cure institutes, age homes, barracks, cloisters, and justice institutes. The "census list for institution households" and the corresponding "insert form" should be completed by the director of the institution in place of a household list for every separated institution household. For every person residing in the institution (Column 5 or 6 marked on the census list)--like for ordinary households--a persons sheet should be completed. If these forms are completed by the persons themselves, then also the accompanying explanations are needed, which are located on the supplement for the Print type VZ 1a.

[p. 10]
Who receives the forms for the house and dwelling census?

According to the decree about the house and dwelling census 1971, all houses, its corresponding buildings, as well as the dwellings and business offices contained in these buildings should be noted.

Therefore, a "house" is considered:

1. All houses with a house number and the corresponding building structures or parts of the building, regardless if they are used or not. A "house number" can either be the so-called orientation number in municipalities with street signs (e.g. Main Street 5), or the so-called conscription number in municipalities without street signs (e.g. Mayerhofen Nr. 37).

2. Houses without house numbers that serve as dwelling or business areas or for cultural areas, like, for example, a newly built single family home that does not yet have a house number; factory locations, churches without house numbers, etc.

3. Architectural structures without house numbers, as long as these are continually occupied (lived in), like a barracks, which serves as permanent accommodations in one household.

For the noted houses or architectural structures that fall under Points 1, 2, and 3, the house owner or their representative (e.g. property manager) should complete the forms of the house and dwelling census.

For simplification of the completion of forms and quicker evaluation of the census, two types of forms are available:

1. For apartment complexes with 1 or 2 dwellings and for farmhouse, the census from HWZ-A.

2. For the remaining houses, the so-called house sheet (HWZ-B/1) and the so-called building sheet (HWZ-B/2), therewith as many building sheets per house are provided as staircase houses or buildings require.

Which architectural structures should not be taken into consideration in the 1971 Houses and Dwelling census?

For the following architectural structures, no HWZ form should be distributed:

a) Ships, trailers, tents, and similar;
b) Kiosks, moveable market stands;
c) Agricultural or forest-industrial business buildings, as long as they do not also serve as living spaces;
d) Non-agricultural industry buildings for business or public uses with a constructed ground area of less than 20 m2, so long as they do not also serve as living spaces; i.e. small storage sheds transformer stations, etc.
e) Houses (buildings) that are meant for the use by the train company or train transportation, so long as they do not also serve as living spaces;
f) Houses (buildings) that serve as military spaces, excluding dwellings located therein.

The Census form HWZ-A

Like the persons sheet of the people's census, Census form HWZ-A is also read by the processing in the Austrian Statistic Central Office through a so-called electronic reader. Therefore it is important that especially this form be handled carefully and not creased.

For Apartment complexes and farmhouses with 1 or 2 dwellings

The census form HWZ-A is intended for all apartment complexes that have one or two dwellings. Therefore, they must distribute this form for one- and two-family houses and farmhouses (or land estates, as long as these do not have more than 2 dwellings).

Apartment complexes and farmhouses with a business area

Frequently it occurs that one finds also a non-agricultural or forest-industrial business area in an apartment complex with 1 or 2 dwellings, e.g. in a single-family house on the ground-level a grocery store and on the first floor the dwelling of the owner. IN this case, use census form HWZ-A. The same goes for farmhouses with 1 or 2 dwellings, when they are to have besides those [dwellings] also a commercial business area (e.g. restaurant/ guesthouse, boarding house).

Apartment complexes and farmhouses in a small adjoining building

Frequently you will find also single-family houses that have a business area in a separate standing business building. The following examples should show you in which cases you can also distribute the census form HWZ-A.

[p. 11]
Example 1: Here it is concerned with a farmhouse, where an industrial building is built near a residential building; moreover a private stable building belongs to the house.

For this, the census form A should be used, when all farmhouses with 1 or 2 dwellings can be recorded with this form without consideration thereof, if the adjoining or free-standing agricultural business site belongs to the house or not.
In the same way, it includes a school, for example, in which merely the schoolwaited or teacher dwelling is located, not as a apartment complex but as a "public building", for which not a census form HWZ-A should be used but the house sheet HWZ-B/1, as long as a building sheet HWZ-B/2 is used.

Example 2: On a single-family house, a small mechanic shop is adjoining or constructed nearby.

For this, the census form A should be used, when only one business site belongs to the single-family house and the area of the free-standing mechanic shop is substantially smaller than the area of the residential building

Example 3: Apartment complex and business site (office building and a workshop [hall]) of a panel-beater large concern/farm [Spenglergro├čbetriebe].

Although a residential building with only 1 dwelling and a non-agricultural business site lies on the property, the situation is no longer altogether a "residential building" because the area of the business site buildings is substantially larger than the area of the residential building. The census form HWZ-A therefore should not be used (correct: 1 house sheet HWZ-B/1 and 3 building sheets HWZ-B/2).

In case of doubt, always distribute house and building sheets.

[Omitted "On the Completion of HWZ-A form]

[p. 12]
The house sheet HWZ-B/1

For all houses that do not receive a census form HWZ-A, the house sheet HWZ-B/1 is correct, as long as the corresponding number of building sheets HWZ-B/2 is distributed.

The house sheet is thus intended:

a) For houses with 3 or more dwellings
b) For houses with non-agricultural and forest-industrial business buildings and public buildings
c) For apartment complexes with 1 or 2 dwellings that have more than one non-agricultural and forest-industrial business site.

An in-depth explanation for Questions 1 through 3 of the house sheet ("What is a building?") is found there following.

The building sheet HWZ-B/2

Every house must be made up from at least one building, every house sheet HWZ-B/1 must be accompanied by at least one building sheet HWZ-B/2. For the distribution of the number of building sheet HWZ-B/2 must be decided at the location and site, how many building sheets are needed. All free-standing architectural structures or building complexes, which are separated by fire walls, are considered as a "building". When multiple buildings are available under one house number, keep first of all the following guidelines:

1. For every staircase house with dwellings, 1 building sheet.
2. For every other free-standing building with non-agricultural and forest-industrial business sites and with more than 20 m2 of constructed are, 1 building sheet.

The following examples should explain the two simple guidelines.

1 House sheet B/1
3 Building sheets B/2
[Above is a diagram of buildings to illustrate the following example.]

Example 4: It shows how 3 buildings can be summed up less than one house number. In this case, 1 house sheet HWZ-B/1 and 3 building sheets HWZ-B/2 must therefore be distributed.

1 House sheet B/1
2 Building sheets B/2
[Above is a diagram of buildings to illustrate the following example.]

Example 5: Building complexes that stand next to one another at a ninety-degree angle are at least separated from one another by a fire wall and, in this case, should be considered as a single building.

1 House sheet B/1
2 Building sheets B/2
[Above is a diagram of buildings to illustrate the following example.]

Example 6: Building complexes with varying numbers of levels should be divided up into buildings.

[p. 13]

1 House sheet B/1
2 Building sheets B/2

Example 7: Building complexes with different constructions that are noticeable from the outside, like e.g. wood construction--brick construction should be recorded separately as multiple buildings.

1 House sheet B/1
2 Building sheets B/2

Example 8: Building complexes that are separated from one another by a fire wall should therefore be divided as a "building".

For Nr. 26:
1 House sheet B/1
1 Building sheet B/2

For Nr. 27
1 House sheet B/1
1 Building sheet B/2

Example 9: Houses Nr. 26 and 27 are only "building parts", when they only are comprised only after-the-fact via house division. Therefore for every house number, a House sheet HWZ-B/1 should be completed, [and] on the house sheet for house number 26 and number 27, "building part" should be marked in Question 1.

Explanations for the questions on the house or building sheet

For the Questions on the forms HWZ-B/1 and HWZ-B/2, in-depth explanations are given [along with the added forms]. Please read these attentively through and refer to the explanations by question.

Please note the following exception:
When a dwelling is used completely for business/industrial purposes and no longer is occupied [resided in], this it is not under the description of a dwelling (Building sheet B/2 "Description of dwellings of buildings") but stated as a "business sites outside the dwellings". The same goes for the case in which a dwelling is completely used for communal lodgings (e.g. as a communal bedroom for immigrant workers).

[Omitted pp. 14-18]