Republic of Uruguay
National Institute of Statistics
VII General Census of Population
III of Homes and V of Dwellings
Census Questionnaire 1996
The confidentiality of the information is guaranteed by Art 17 of Law No. 16.616 of 10/20/1994. This Law also establishes that all people are obligated to supply the information. (Article 14 of the same Law)
2. Order number of the dwelling:
3. Home number within the dwelling
Address of the dwelling: ________
Number: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Block: _ _
Floor: _ _
Apartment:_ _ _ _
4. Is the dwelling land used for agriculture or livestock production?
 2 No
5. Does the land occupy one hectare or more?
 2 No
6. Indicate the type of dwelling, mark only one box
 2 Apartment
 3 Apartment or room in a school, factory, etc.
 4 Place not built for habitation
 5 Mobile dwelling (tent, rolling house, etc.)
 6 Other
 8 Hospital, sanatorium
 9 Home for the elderly
 10 Student residence
 11 Worker house
 12 Asylum
 13 Other
7. Indicate if the dwelling is:
 2 With inhabitants absent
 4 Finishing being under construction or repair
 5 For sale or rent
 6 Other reason
If a dwelling is unoccupied or occupied with inhabitants absent, stop here.
If a dwelling is occupied with inhabitants present, continue with Section C: Information of the occupied private dwelling.
If it is a collective dwelling, go to Section F: People who make up the home (page 2)
8. What is the predominant material of the exterior walls?
 2 Wood and sheets of zinc, fibrocemento
 3 Mud (terron, adobe, fagina)
 4 Tin or waste material
 5 Other
9. What is the predominant material of the roof?
 2 Sheets of zinc, fibrocement, aluminum, asphalt tiles, tiles over framework, with a flat roof
 3 Sheets of zinc, fibrocement, aluminum, asphalt tiles, tiles over framework, without a flat roof
 4 Straw
 5 Tin or waste material
 6 Other
13. Does this dwelling have any of the following services of electrical lighting?
 1 From the U.T.E. [public electricity company]
 2 Battery charger
 3 Generator
 4 Other electric
For single or first household, continue on the back.
For each other type of household, use an additional questionnaire.
- In it, repeat the information of geographic identification, the order number of the dwelling and write down the number of the following home.
- Leave the information about the dwelling (parts B, C and D on this page) blank.
- Begin the interview on page 2 (E. Information of the private dwelling)
[Details on how to write were removed]
1. Does the household in this dwelling have any hygienic service (e.g. W.C., latrine, etc.)?
 2 Yes, but without discharge
 3 Does not have hygienic service.
7. What is the principal source of energy for heating rooms?
 1 Electricity
 2 Supergas [LPG]
 3 Kerosene
 4 Wood
 5 Gas oil
 6 Fuel oil
 7 Piped gas
 8 Other
8. With respect to this dwelling, this household is:
 2 Owner of the dwelling only
 3 Member of living cooperative
 4 Tenant or renter
 5 Occupant by a relation of dependence (work)
 6 Occupied by loan, cede or permission
 7 Occupied without permission
 8 Other
Comfort and equipment of the home
11. Does the home have any of the following appliances?
 Instant heater [electric]
 Simple refrigerator
 Refrigerator with freezer
 Color TV
 Black and white TV
 Microwave oven
 Video cassette player
 Common washer
 Programmed washer
F. People who make up the home
12. What is the name and surname of every person who lodged here last night, beginning with the head?
Do not forget babies and the elderly. If the home has more than six people, continue this list on additional questionnaires.
 Head of household
 Spouse or companion
 Single children or stepchildren from oldest to youngest
 Married children and stepchildren and their spouses and companions
 Parents or mother/father-in-laws, siblings, aunts/uncles, etc.
 Other people not related (guests, domestic servants, etc.)
Enumerator: Once you have finished the enumeration of the members of this home, count the pages of people who you have completed, and verify this number.
If there are more than six people in a home, use an additional questionnaire, repeating the Order Number of the dwelling, Order Number of the home within the dwelling and the geographic identification.
Do not forget to mark the rectangle "Continued" of the first part of the census questionnaire (question 1 in the top right corner of page 1).
Do not shorten words
[Next to the text are boxes with the alphabet in capital letters.]
G. People in the home
1. What relation or relationship do you have with the head of household?
 2 Spouse or companion
 3 Child
 4 Child of spouse [stepchild]
 5 Son/daughter in-law
 6 Grandchild
 7 Parent or mother/father in-law
 8 Other relative
 9 Domestic servant and children
 10 Not related
 11 Collective dwelling resident
3. How old are you (in completed years)?
For those younger than 1 year: "00"
For those younger than 10 years: "01", "02", "03", etc. as necessary.
For those older than 99 years, "99"
5. Do you have any valid rights in any institution for attending to health?
In services of total coverage:
 2 Mutual, cooperative, medical, etc.
 3 Military health
 4 Police health
 5 Others of total coverage
 6 Does not have
6. And in services of partial coverage
 2 Mobile emergency units
 3 Other partial insurance
 4 Does not have
9. In what locality or place did you begin living when you were born?
 In another place, write down the department or country and locality: ____
Locality in Uruguay: ____
12. Of the following levels of education, what is the highest that you attended?
 2 Preschool
 3 Primary
 4 High school or secondary basic cycle
 6 University
 7 Teacher training
 8 Military or police career
13. With respect to this education level, do you currently
 1 Attend a public establishment
 2 Attend a private establishment
 3 Abandoned your studies
 4 Finished the level
15. What is the specialization or major area of study?
If you marked group "A" in question 12, go to question 16 if necessary.
Only for those in group "B" of question 12
16. Do you currently attend or did you attend technical or commercial studies of 6 months or more?
 2 In another public institute
 3 In a private institute
17. With respect to this course, currently you...
 1 Attend
 2 Abandoned your studies
 3 Finished your studies
18. How many years did you study in this course?
19. What is the technical or commercial study attended?
28. Of the following, what is (was) your category in the occupation you indicated?
 2 Public worker or employee
 3 Private worker or employee
 4 Worker for their own account
 5 Non-remunerated family worker
 6 Member of production cooperative
 7 Other