1970 Population and Housing Census of Malaysia
8 L/Qs No. _ _ _
2. Admin. District _ _
2a. ____ Census district
3. Circle number _ _
4. Enumeration block number _ _
6. Number of households in this living quarters.
See column 6 of the house-listing book.
7. Number of persons in this living quarters.
See column 8 of the house-listing book.
_ _ _ Females
_ _ _ Total persons
 Not intended for l/s but used for these purposes at time of census
 2 A living space, e.g. court year, open verandah
 3 A natural shelter (Finish)
11. Are the living quarters:
 Non-private (Skip to 13)
 Mobile (finish)
 4 Detached
 5 Semi-detached
 6 Terrace, row flat or room
 7 In/attached to house
 8 In Shophouse
 9 In housing block
 10 Other
 11 Labor line
 12 Makeshift, improvised hut, etc.
(Skip to 14)
 13 Non-private, hotel, lodging house, rest house, etc.
 14 Hospital
 15 Educational, charitable or religious institution
 16 Temporary labor camp
 17 Other
[Questions 14 to 43 were asked if the living quarters were private, non-mobile.]
 No (Skip to 16)
 Brick and plank
 Plank only
 Attap etc.
 Zinc, corrugated iron
 Attap, bamboo, etc.
 Zinc/corrugated iron sheets
 Seasonal wk. qt.
 Temporary absence
 Holiday house
 Unfit for living
 Other (including not known)
[Questions 21-43 were asked if the dwelling was private and occupied.]
 Not known
 Not Government
 No (skip to 26)
[Questions 24-25 were asked if the dwelling had piped water.]
 Outside living quarter
 Within 100 yards
 Beyond 100 yards (Skip to 27)
 Well or pump
 Parit, drain, canal
27. Is water supply exclusive to this living quarter?
28. [Does the household have electricity?]
 No Electricity (Skip to 30)
 Public supply
 Private Gen. Plant
30. [What is the source of lighting?]
 Pressure / gas lamp
 Oil lamp
 Over river/sea
 None (Skip to 35)
[Questions 33-34 were asked if dwelling had toilet facilities.]
33. Exclusive to this living quarter?
 No (Skip to 35)
34. Units [number of toilets]:
35. Separate bathroom or enclosed bathing space?
 No (Skip to 38)
[Question 36 - 37 were asked if the dwelling had a separate bathroom or enclosed bathing space.]
 Hand basin
 Moveable jar, container
 Pipe only
(Skip to 39)
 Pipe inside living quarters
 Pipe outside living quarters
 Well or pump
 Parit, drain, canal
39. Exclusive to this living quarter?
41. Area set aside for cooking?
 No (Skip to 43)
42. Exclusive to this living quarter?
Note: A household is a group of people who live and eat together. You may therefore find there is more than one household in this living quarters. Fill in one of these form 4's for each household in this living quarter.
____ Admin. District
____ Census district
____ Circle number
____ Enumeration block number
2. Address: ________
 2+ Sheet: _
[Questions 6-10 are repeated for each household member.]
6. List the names of the people who belong to this household (see below for listing order.)
Listing order: head of household, wife of head, unmarried children of head, mother and father (and/or grandmother/father) of head or heads spouse, brother, sister, other married couples and their children, married couples with no children present, other relatives of head, servants, boarders.
7. Relationship to H/H: ____
8. Sex: ____
9. Here on C/Night (tick): ____
10. Person No. ____
[Questions 11-13 are repeated for each friends or other visitors who slept here on Census Night.]
11. List the name of any friends or other visitors who slept here on Census Night: ____
12. Sex: ____
13. Person No.: ____
14. Total males in this household on Census Night (i.e. all household members and friends or other visitors who slept here on Census Night): _ _ _
15. Total females in this household on Census Night (i.e. all household members and friends or other visitors who slept here on Census Night): _ _ _
16. Total persons in this household on Census Night (i.e. all household members and friends or other visitors who slept here on Census Night): _ _ _
17. [Ownership status of the household]
 Tenant (go to 18)
 Other (skip to 23)
[Questions 18 - 22 were asked of tenants]
18. Renting from:
 Individual outside L.Q.'s. (skip to 20)
 Government or Public Authority (skip to 20)
 Firm/company (skip to 20)
 Other (skip to 20)
19. H.H. number:
20. Is the landlord your employer?
21. Rent: _ _ _ _
22. [Condition of the dwelling]
23. Main cooking fuel:
24. Household equipment:
 Air conditioner
 Elect. Fan
 Sew mach.
 Boat with motor
 Boat without motor
Appendix 10.6 Individual form for Sabah and Sarawak: Census of Malaysia, 1970
1970 Population and Housing Census East Malaysia
____ Admin, District
____ Census District
____ Enumeration Block
Living quarters No.: _ _ _
Household Number: _
Person Number: _ _
1. Name: ____
3. Relationship to Head of Household: ____
4. How old are you?
Months from last Birthday to C. Day: _ _
5. Age (from I/C Birth Certificate, etc.): _ _
Month of birth: _ _
Year of birth: _ _ _ _
6. Chinese date of birth:
Moon month: _ _
Animal Year: ____
7. To what community do you belong? _ _
8. During the last 12 months what did you do most of the time?
 Family worker
 Look after household
 Child not at school
 Logging timber
 Other Agriculture
 Transport comm.
9. What is your religion?
 No religion
10. Are you going to school? (excluding adult education and kindergarten)
11. Have you ever been to school?
[Questions12-13 were asked if the person had ever been to school.]
12. What was the highest level you completed?
 Completed all years
 6 lower
 6 upper
13. Did you pass any of these exams?
14. Do you have a Malaysian citizenship?
 No (Skip to 16)
 Under 12 (Skip to 18)
15. Color of Identify Card (I.C.)
 Blue (Skip to 17)
 No I.C.
16. What citizenship do you have?
 Other foreign
17. Do you have a Singapore I/C?
 No (Skip to 20)
 Unknown (Skip to 22)
19. State of birth?
20. Country of birth?
 India/Ceylon Pakistan
 N. Sembilan
 Other Asian
 n/s America Oceania
21. How long in total have you lived in Malaysia? (in years)
 Over 20
22. How long in total have you lived in this kampong, town, etc.? (in years)
 Over 20
 Some other place in Malaysia:
24. What was the name of the place where you lived before?
Kampong, Town: ________
For persons 10 years and over
[Questions 25-44 were asked of persons age 10+.]
Before asking questions 25-34 explain that the questions are for the previous 7 day period only
25. Did you have a regular job or business?
[Questions 26-29 were asked if the person did not have a regular job or business during the previous 7 days.]
26. Did you help in a family business or farm?
 No (Skip to 28)
27. About how many hours per day did you work?
 3 or less
 More than 3
28. Did you earn any money by working or by selling home made goods?
Note: If the answers to Questions 25-29 are all "No" skip to 35
[Questions 30-34 were asked if the answers to Questions 25-29 are not all "No".]
30. Employment status:
 Self employed
 Salary and wage
 Family worker
 Looking for the 1st job (skip to 35)
[Questions 31-34 were asked for those who did not choose looking for the first job in Question 30.]
31 Main occupation (use two or more words if possible): ____
32. Main industry (use two or more words if possible): ____
34. Name and address of establishment at which working: ________
35. Degrees, diplomas, certificates, papers
Name of qualification and institution from which obtained: ________
Field of study: ____
36. Everyday conversation?
 El. Malay
 Other languages
38. Write a letter?
 No (Skip to 40)
39. What languages can you write?
 No (Finish)
[Questions 41-43 were asked if the person ever been married.]
41. How many times?
42. Present marital status:
43. Number of years married:
Present marriages: _ _
Previous marriages: _ _
For ever-married women
[Question 44 was asked of ever-married women.]
44. How many children have you ever given birth to? (Excluding adoptions): _ _
b. Living somewhere else: _ _
c. Dead: _ _
d. Born dead: _ _
Total born alive (a plus b plus c): _ _
[Questions for "Office Use Only" and on agriculture and fisheries have been omitted.]