National Statistics Institute
Population and Housing Census
Law of Statistics of 31 December 1945
Article 8.- All individual or collective persons, Spaniards or foreigners who reside in Spain, are required to provide the statistical data of all types that is required by the National Institute of Statistics, with precision and in the stipulated time period.
Article 11.- The personnel of the National Institute of Statistics involved in data collection and other statistical operations will maintain absolute secrecy about the data. The statistical data cannot be published nor provided except in numerical form, without reference to any individual.
[Written in the left margin: Do not write in the shaded areas of the questionnaire.]
_ _ _ Municipality
_ _ d.c.
_ _ District
_ _ _ Section
_ _ _ _ Dwelling
_ _ _ Block
_ With other dwellings or isolated
_ Number of families
_ _ 1st family
_ _ 2nd family
_ _ 3rd family
_ _ 4th family
_ _ 5th family
Complete postal address for this housing unit
Street, plaza, etc. ___ Number ___ Level or floor, door, etc. ___ building ___
When determining how the building is used, do not take into account any buildings used for agricultural production that are near the building, but not attached to it.
 1 Only used as a family housing unit (without any sections devoted to commercial use)
 2 Primarily used as a family housing unit
 3 Primarily used for purposes other than as a family housing unit (for offices, workshops, schools, stores, etc.)
How many housing units are there in the building?
 1 one housing unit
 2 two housing units
 3 three or more housing units
_ _ _ _ Approximate year the building was constructed
Mark the corresponding boxes with an X.
 2 Family housing unit used only part of the year, for vacationing, temporary work, weekends, etc.
 3 Unoccupied family housing unit (regardless of whether it is available for rent or sale)
Other structure used for permanent housing:
 4 Non-mobile (cave, hut, shack, etc.)
 5 Mobile (trailer, boat, caravan, etc.)
 2 The housing unit is the property of one of the people who uses it, but there are mortgage payments pending.
 3 The housing unit is provided (free or not) by the employer, organization, or business where one of the persons enumerated on this questionnaire works.
 4 The housing unit is rented, without furniture
 5 The housing unit is rented, with furniture
 6 The housing unit is held in another form not listed above. (Specify by writing in the space below).
_ _ 2. How many of these rooms are used exclusively for professional, commercial, or other similar uses? (For example: for an office, workshop, doctor's office, agency, etc.)
5. Services and amenities for the housing unit
Mark, with an X, the appropriate boxes. Mark YES for the amenities and services in place for residents of the housing unit. Mark NO for those amenities and services that are not in place.
 1 /  6 1. Hot water (whether centralized or not)
 1 /  6 2. Cold water inside the housing unit
 1 /  6 3. Cold water inside the building, but no water inside the housing unit
 1 /  6 4. Bathtub or shower
 1 /  6 5. Sink
 1 /  6 6. Flush toilet
 1 /  6 7. Non-flush toilet
 1 /  6 8. Heated by hot water
 1 /  6 9. Heated by hot air
 1 /  6 10. Heated by built-in electric radiator
 1 /  6 11. Air conditioning
 1 /  6 12. Gas distributed through pipes (city, natural, propane, etc.)
 1 /  6 13. Telephone
___ Telephone number
- Include all small children, including newborns, if they were born before the aforementioned time of the census.
- Before completing the questionnaire, read the instructions found on page 4.
[The information below is presented in the form of a table. The questions appear as column headings, and there are seven rows provided for each individual's answers. Explanations are included underneath the questions.]
[Written in the left margin: Do not write in the shaded spaces.]
1. First name and last names
Beginning with the householder, write the names of all the household members who reside in this housing unit, even those who are temporarily absent. Then list persons who live in another municipality but who were present in the housing unit at the time of the census [the Census Moment].
Order the list so that parents are grouped together with their unmarried children. Indicate the first member (or the only member) of each such group by marking an X in the box found to the left of each name.
01 [x] Householder *
02 [ ] Spouse of the householder
03 [ ] An unmarried son
04 [x] A widowed daughter
05 [ ] The unmarried son of the preceding person
06 [x] The mother of the householder
07 [x] Domestic servant
___ First last name
___ Second last name [Mother's maiden name]
[Note in the margin at the bottom of the page:
(*) Householder-- For the purpose of the census, the householder is considered to be the person whom other members of the household recognize as having the status of householder. This person will be listed first in the census questionnaire.]
 2 A Residents of this municipality who, at the Census Moment, were ABSENT from the municipality
 3 T Temporary residents: Persons who are not residents of this municipality but who were present in the municipality at the Census Moment
 2 Female
 2 Married
 3 Widowed
 4 Divorced
___ Province _ _
_ _ / _ _ / 1 _ _ _ Day / month / year
7. Place of residence on December 31, 1970.To be answered only by those persons who are over age 10 and who came to live in this municipality after 1970.
-The municipality where you were living on December 31, 1970.
-The province (or country, if you came from another country) where you were living on December 31, 1970.
-The year you arrived in this municipality.
___ Province _ _
1 9 _ _ year
_ _ _ _
 6 No
10. Current school attendanceAll people who are currently attending school should write the grade and level of their studies. If you are engaged in more than one course of study, write the highest level of school which you currently attend.
1st EGB [Basic general education]; 2nd level technical training, first grade; law, etc.
_ _ / _
11. Educational attainmentIndicate the highest level of study that you have completed and passed.
For example: Law, graduated with degree; Medicine, 4th year; Upper level baccalaureate, 5th grade; elementary through 11th grade; elementary school graduate; Basic general education, 6th year; etc.
If you have never attended school, even if you know how to read and write, write "no studies"
_ _ / _
 2 Working
-in a paid occupation, profession, or job.
-without pay, helping with the family business or farm, for 15 hours or more per week
 3 Looking for your first job
 4 Unemployed and looking for work, having worked previously
 5 Retired, collecting a pension, etc.
 6 Living off investments (living off income from rental properties, dividends, or other capital income)
 7 Elementary school student (including those enrolled in pre-school) or other student
 8 Keeping house
 9 Permanently handicapped and unable to work
 0 Other (e.g., children not in school, persons in the interval between school graduation and beginning a job search)
Answer questions 13, 14, and 15 only if you answered question 12 with answers 2 (Working) or 4 (Unemployed and looking for work, having worked previously).If the answer to question 12 was 2 (Working), refer to your principal occupation.
If the answer to question 12 was 4 (Unemployed and looking for work, having worked previously), refer to your last job before you became unemployed.
13. Activity or business of the establishment or place where you workProvide a detailed answer, such as the following: Wood furniture factory; workshop for repairing automobiles; grocery store; store where bread is sold; bakery; Public Administration office; company marketing pharmaceutical products; coal mine; farm and cattle ranch; etc.
_ _ / _
14. Your occupation in your principal job or professionProvide a detailed answer, such as the following: day laborer on construction projects; wine store worker; administrative assistant; mechanic on assembly line; electrician; mining engineer; etc.
Professional rank/category (when applicable)
For example: apprentice; day laborer; assistant; first officer; negotiating head; director; etc.
_ _ / _
 2 Businessman or professional who does not employ other personnel, or a person who is self-employed
 3 Member of a production or commercial cooperative, or an employee of such a cooperative
 4 Person who has a steady job, either for a salary, or as a day laborer, or working for commissions, or for any other type of remuneration
 5 Person who works occasionally or intermittently, either for a salary, or as a day laborer, or working for commissions, or for any other type of remuneration
 6 Person who works, without set pay, in the family business owned by members of the household where you live
 7 Another situation different from those described above
18. Answer only if the answer to question 12 was 2 or 7(i.e., for persons who are currently working or who are elementary school students or other students)
Write the line number (the person's sequential number in the household) for each person who should answer this question.
1. Has no set place of work (truck drivers, traveling sales representatives, etc.). Do not place deliverymen, bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc. in this category; they should refer to the place where they pick up their vehicle for work.
2. Works or studies in this municipality.
3. Works or studies in another municipality. For those with an answer of "3," write the municipality and province where the person works or studies.
Mark the corresponding box with an X.
 2 In the same municipality where enumerated
 3 In another municipality
_ _ / _ _
What is the method of transportation usually used for the majority of the trip to the workplace or school?
Mark the corresponding box with an X (see above).
 2 Walks
 3 Bicycle or motorcycle
 4 Train
 5 Subway
 6 School bus or bus provided by the workplace
 7 City bus or intercity bus, trolley (electrified or on tracks)
 8 Private car
 9 Other
Mark the corresponding box with an X.
 2 10 to 19 minutes
 3 20 to 39 minutes
 4 40 to 49 minutes
 5 More than 50 minutes
Persons who should complete the Census
Persons in the following two groups should be included in the Population Census:
I) Persons (of Spanish nationality or foreigners) who had established residency in Spain, even if they are not in their homes, or even in Spain, at the official Census Moment (twelve o'clock midnight on February 28, 1981).
II) Persons (of Spanish nationality or foreigners) who had established residency outside of Spain, if they are in Spain at the official Census Moment (twelve o'clock midnight on February 28, 1981).
Instructions for completing this questionnaire.
Household- For the purposes of the census, a household is defined as a group of persons who are usually related, who live together, and who jointly occupy a housing unit. Persons in domestic service who live in the housing unit and guests present in the housing unit at the Census Moment will be considered members of the household.
Households with seven or fewer persons- Will use only one questionnaire for enumeration.
Households with more than seven persons- In the case of a household with more than seven members, you should proceed in the following manner:
- The first seven persons will be included in the first questionnaire. The rest will be included in a second questionnaire. In this second questionnaire, leave the space for the householder (line number 1) blank, because the householder is already included in the first questionnaire.
- The answers to the questions on page 1 should only be written on the first questionnaire, except for the complete postal address, which should be written on every questionnaire.
Housing units with more than one household- Separate households living in the same housing unit should complete separate questionnaires.
- The householder for each household will complete the questionnaire and sign at the bottom of page 4.
- The answers to the questions on page 1 should be completed for only one questionnaire per housing unit, except for the postal address, which should be written on each questionnaire.
Knows how to read and write- The person can read and write and understand a simple, short explanation of facts related to daily life.
Domestic help- The term "domestic help" refers to a person who works, without set salary, in a family business or company that is owned by the members of the household where they live.