Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

Information concerning the 1987 Population Census

Why is a population census necessary?
In May 1987, a population census will once again be conducted for the Federal Republic of Germany. Population censuses are being performed in accordance with the recommendations of the United Nations and the decisions of the European Community. They provide the basis of decision-making in the fields of economic and social policy, housing, employment, environmental protection and education. The last population census in the Federal Republic of Germany was conducted 17 years ago. Much has changed since then and the available data has become outdated. It is only with up-to-date and exact statistical data; however, that reliable planning, correct decision-finding and sound economic policy-making are possible. The Federation, the states and the communities are dependent on a new and reliable data basis. Also, as far as the questions broached by political parties, the parties to a collective agreement, trade and professional associations and many other important groups of public life, in particular science and research, are concerned, the results of the population census are indispensable. Reliable planning and correct decisions are ultimately for the benefit of every individual citizen. By answering the questions, each of us makes an important contribution to the future of our country.

[next page]

What are the main objectives to be met by the individual census parts?
Population and occupation census: Exact population figures for the Federation, the states and the communities are not available at the present time. A central objective of the population census is, therefore, the ascertainment of the exact population figure. The data on sex, age, marital status, labor force participation, occupational/professional structure as well as the structure of education and training are an indispensable basis for decisions to be made in such fields as the labor market, education and vocational training, pension policies, transport, and communications.

Census of buildings and housing: The last census of buildings and housing was conducted in 1968. This data is too outdated. A great many decisions have to be made: How many dwellings must be built? How many dwellings for senior citizens, pupils and students, as well as immigrant citizens, are required? How much of the tax revenue must be provided for the construction of individually-owned homes/dwellings and for the modernization of dwellings? How much money is needed for measures to save energy and to protect the environment? For all of these decisions, there is an urgent need for up-to-date data.

Census of non-agricultural local units: The most recent comprehensive data on all non-agricultural local units and enterprises date from the year 1970. Data on the number and size of establishments, the people working there, and the sum total of wages and salaries paid are urgently needed for making decisions in economic and social policy as well as in the field of the labor market, but they are also needed for decisions in the transport and communication sector and for measures to protect the environment.

What is the legal foundation for the population census?
The legal foundation is the Law on a Census of Population, Occupation, Buildings, Housing and Non-Agricultural Local Units (Population Census Law 1987) voted by the house of representatives (Bundestag ) and approved by the Federal Council (Bundesrat), as well as the Law on Statistics for Federal Purposes (Federal Statistics Law).

Type and scope of the population census
The population census will be conducted as a complete enumeration with the help of enumerators. To be collected are: data on all persons and households, dwellings, buildings with living space and other permanently occupied housing accommodation, as well as non-agricultural local units and enterprises, as specified in articles 5 to 8 of the Population Census Law.

Survey characteristics and auxiliary characteristics covered
For this population census, a distinction will be made between survey characteristics and auxiliary characteristics. Survey characteristics (articles 5 to 7 of the Population Census Law) will be statistically evaluated and auxiliary characteristics (article 8 of the Population Census Law) are needed for the purpose of conducting the survey and will be destroyed at the earliest possible time.

[next page]

Is answering the questions obligatory?
According to article 12 of the Population Census Law in conjunction with article 10 of the Federal Statistics Law, it is obligatory to answer the questions. Those citizens who give notice of an objection or are bringing an action for rescission are not exempted from this obligation. The following data are provided on a voluntary basis: the telephone number in the household cover sheet and in the local unit questionnaire, as well as the name of the person who filled in the local unit questionnaire.

Who is liable to provide information?
As far as the population and occupation census is concerned, all persons of legal age as well as those not being of full age but who maintain their own separate households, are liable to give information, and also on behalf of household members of minor age. As regards adult household members who are unable to provide information on account of a disability, other members of the household must answer the questions for them. In collective housing units or institutions, the managers are liable to provide information with regard to persons who, on account of a disability or because they are under age, cannot answer the questions. In such cases, the questions may also be answered by a person of confidence. As far as the census of buildings and dwellings is concerned, the persons liable to furnish information are the owner or the manager and/or the occupant of the dwelling. Responsible for supplying data for the census of non-agricultural local units are the owners or managers of the respective establishments or enterprises. The obligation to provide information is stipulated in detail in article 12 of the Population Census Law.

How can the questions be answered and the questionnaires returned?
The questions may be answered verbally to the enumerators or in writing. With the population and occupation census, the persons obliged to give information may answer the questions jointly with other household members or just for themselves. In order to safeguard the proper operation of the census, the enumerators may obtain some data, such as the names of individual household members or the number of persons and households within a dwelling, by verbal inquiry and enter them in the census forms (article 10, paragraph 7 and article 13 paragraph 5 of the Population Census Law); respondents met at home may provide the names of the remaining household members in writing also. The completed questionnaires can be handed over directly to the enumerators -- also in a sealed envelope -- or may be mailed to the survey office or delivered there in person. The completed forms should be returned to the survey office within one week; it is postage-free to return the forms by mail if the official return envelope (population census letter) is used.

What are the tasks of the enumerator?
The enumerators work on an honorary basis. They have been carefully selected by the survey offices and instructed in special courses with regard to their tasks, competences and duties. They had to enter into a written commitment to safeguard statistical secrecy and are bound to keep all data obtained during the census taking confidential. This also includes the time after their activity as enumerators has been concluded. They must identify themselves to the respondents as enumerators. The enumerators are obliged to be of help to the respondents and, if requested to do so, they must complete the questionnaires for them according to their indications. Enumerators are not assigned to the neighborhood of their own dwelling. It cannot be avoided; however, that enumerators may know the individual respondents personally. In order to avoid conflicts of interest, police officers or state attorneys for instance, are not drawn upon as enumerators. The rights and duties of the enumerators are indicated in article 10 of the Population Census Law.

[next page]

How is statistical confidentiality safeguarded?
Data collected for official statistics is subject to strict confidentiality. This fundamental principle is intended to maintain the trust between the respondents and the statistical offices. Data collected for the population census must be kept secret by all persons officially entrusted with its execution (e.g., enumerators, staff at the survey offices and the statistical offices). The maintenance of secrecy is supervised by the data protection commissioners. The violation of secrecy is punished by law. The answers provided to the topics enumerated are processed into tables. The data supplied by individual persons is no longer identifiable there for anyone. It is only by the combinative statistical evaluation that the data material becomes suitable for utilization. Any subsequent reconstruction of information relating to individuals is explicitly prohibited (article 17 Population Census Law; statutory prohibition of re-identification) and punishable by law.

Is it permissible to transmit individual data?
Data, from which it is possible to infer upon individual persons, are not permitted to be passed on by the statistical offices of the Federation and the states. Therefore, everybody may rest assured that his personal data will neither be disclosed to the internal revenue service, the policy nor to any other public authority or private agency.

According to article 14 of the Population Census Law, there is an exception to this rule. Individual data, exclusive of names and addresses, may be transmitted to the municipalities. This, however, is only authorized if it is ensured by the laws of the state that the statistical agencies of the municipalities provide for the same security arrangements for guaranteeing statistical secrecy as the statistical offices of the Federation and states. Whenever data is to be transmitted, a record must be drawn up for examination by the data protection commissioners. Other agencies of the municipalities are not entitled to receive such individual data.

With the exception of the census of non-agricultural local units, the publication of individual data is not permitted. Some individual data relating to non-agricultural local units may be published as part of tabulations, but only down to the level of the parts of municipalities (article 14, paragraph 5, Population Census Law).

What happens to the name and address?
Name and address are needed to ensure the completeness of the survey. They will be used by the local survey offices for writing addresses of letters and queries, for checking whether all the survey forms issued have been returned and for reminders and follow-ups. The current state of processing is recorded; so it is noted for instance, when the survey forms were expected to be returned by mail. For these tasks, data and text processing systems can be employed. Immediately upon the termination of the population census work at the local survey offices, the survey forms and the data on the inhabitants, which had been transmitted to the survey offices for organizing the census (article 11, Population Census Law), will be forwarded to the state statistical office. All other personal data of the respondents existing at the survey office will be deleted. The data of persons who have not met their obligation to provide information are the only exceptions to this rule; this data can be passed on to the agencies responsible for carrying out irregularity or administrative enforcement proceedings.

During the further statistical processing at the state statistical offices, the last and first names on the survey forms will be separated from the survey characteristics at the earliest possible time and not be stored on electronic data carriers. The address (without the name) will temporarily, together with the survey characteristics, be transferred to electronic data carriers and be cancelled as soon as they have been assigned to larger geographical units, e.g. to blocks.

Independently of these regulations, data on the number of dwellings and persons in a breakdown by municipality, street, and house number may be used for determining sampling districts for federal and state statistics (article 15, paragraph 5, Population Census Law). All survey records containing data on the respondents and all numbers of survey forms transferred to data processing mediums will be destroyed or deleted, respectively, at the latest two weeks after the official number of the population of the state has been determined. For the census of non-agricultural local units, however, special rules apply to the separation of the names of the enterprises and of the local units, for the deletion of the number of the questionnaire and for the deletion of the address (article 15, paragraphs 1, 3, and 5, Population Census Law as well as Item 2 of the explanations for the questionnaire of the census of non-agricultural local units).

The separation and deletion are regulated in detail in article 15 of the Population Census Law. The respect of statistical secrecy and of data protection is safeguarded in all phases of the census.

For further information or additional reference material, please contact your enumerator or your survey office.

[next page]

Population Census 1987

Household cover sheet
The only purpose of the household cover sheet and its data is to help organize the census. Your name is exclusively to ensure the completeness of the survey; it will not be stored with your data from the personal questionnaire or the dwelling questionnaire on electronic data carriers. After a seventeen-year interval, the first census of population, occupation, buildings, housing and local units will be conducted, with May 25, 1987 as the census day. The legal foundation for this census is the Law on a Census of Population, Occupation, Buildings, Housing and Non-Agricultural Local Units (Population Census Law 1987) of November 8, 1985 (Federal Law Gazette (Bundesgesetzblatt) 1, Page 2078) in connection with the Law on Statistics for Federal Purposes (Federal Statistics Law) of March 14, 1980 (Federal Law Gazette (Bundesgesetzblatt) 1, Page 289).

Important! A separate household cover sheet must be completed for every household.

A household comprises all persons living and keeping house together. Persons keeping house alone are regarded as separate households.

Please enter your address, the last and first names of all household members as well as the number of your household form (that is the number in the upper right corner of both your dwelling questionnaire and personal questionnaire) in the household cover sheet. In the column for remarks you can put down any additional information, i.e. on mailing of questionnaires of the household.

In order to facilitate the completion of the survey forms, this sheet contains some general notes and explanations concerning the dwelling questionnaire and the personal questionnaire.

If you want any further information, for example on the necessity of the census, statistical confidentiality, the task of the enumerators or the shredding of the survey forms, please refer to the enclosed "information concerning the 1987 Population Census."


____Part of municipality
____House number
____Telephone number
The indication of your telephone number is voluntary. It will help us with further inquiries.

List of persons

(if 11 or more persons live in the household, please complete an additional household cover sheet)

Consecutive number of person


____Last name, first name
____Binder number


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name
____Binder number


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name


____Last name, first name

[next page]

Explanatory notes for the completion of the survey forms

Please excuse that, for reasons of clearness and readability, it has not always been possible to use the terms for both male and female parts of the various groups of persons.

General notes
A) A dwelling questionnaire has to be completed for every household and a personal questionnaire for each person living in the household -- i.e., also for infants, domestic staff and persons having a further dwelling or room/accommodation elsewhere (e.g. on account of their job or profession, pupils, students, persons performing compulsory military service and those doing civilian alternative service), even if they are not present on census day. This also includes persons living in collective housing units or institutions who are still registered in the household. For households comprising more than 5 persons, the personal questionnaires of a second household-binder have to be used. You are, however, not required to complete the second dwelling questionnaire again. It has to be returned blank.

B) Persons having more than one dwelling in the Federal Republic of Germany, including West Berlin, are regarded as members of a household at each place of residence. For each of these households, a household cover sheet and a dwelling questionnaire have to be filled out, and for each person in these households, a personal questionnaire has to be filled out.

C) Persons living in collective housing units or institutions must complete both a dwelling and a personal questionnaire as well as a the household cover sheet there if they keep house for themselves; if they do not keep house for themselves (and do not have a further dwelling outside the collective housing unit or institution), only a personal questionnaire should be filled out.

D) In its lower section, the dwelling questionnaire also contains questions relating to the building. The owners or managers of buildings with dwelling space are required to answer these questions only if they have not already completed a building questionnaire for a pilot survey in 1986/87.

Return of the survey forms:
You may return the completed questionnaires for your entire household or only for yourself by handing them over, in a sealed envelope if you wish, to the enumerator or by forwarding or handing them over to your survey office within one week. If you use the official envelope, which is available from the enumerator upon request, mailing will be postage-free. If you return the forms in a sealed envelope, please state your last and first name as well as your municipality, street and house number on the envelope.

How to complete the forms
The dwelling and personal questionnaires will be read by machine. Therefore, please use a pencil for completing the survey forms and do not crease or fold them. In most cases, the questions should be answered by simply marking the reply categories provided. There are also some questions, however, which must be answered by filling in the space provided or using numerical data.

[Example in the original document not included here]
[next page]

Explanations for data on the dwelling

Question 1: Do you occupy the dwelling/rooms as...?
Households in residential homes mark category b: "Main tenant (including annuitant)", unless they own the dwelling.

Question 2: Is the dwelling a recreational home?
A dwelling used as accommodation only during leisure time (e.g. on weekends, during vacation) is referred to as a recreational home. It may be used by the owners themselves, be rented to third parties or rented to third parties free of charge. Renting may be done by the owners or by a hotel or some other organization. Recreational homes may be found in any type of building (e.g. weekend and holiday house, multi-dwelling house).

Question 5: Is the dwelling mainly heated by...?
a) With remote and block heating, the dwellings of several buildings are heated from one central station. Central heating supplies the heat for the dwellings of one building only. With floor heating, the rooms of one dwelling are heated from a source which serves only the one particular dwelling.
b) In case of remote heating, always mark "remote heat."

Question 6: How many rooms of the dwelling have at least 6 square meters?
For the total space of the dwelling, tenants can, as a rule, consult their contract. Rooms under a slanted roof or ceiling are considered to be half of their floor space. Balconies count as a quarter of their floor space. Basements and attics (attic storage space) should be disregarded unless converted into dwelling rooms.

Question 8: Is the dwelling subsidized with budget funds for publicly assisted housing?
Only dwellings which have been completed after the currency reform (June 20, 1848) and for which public funds (of the Federation, the state or the municipality) were granted for the construction of low-cost dwellings (the so-called primary assistance) are considered as subsidized with budget funds for publicly assisted housing.

These include loans to cover the construction costs (as a rule, public building loans, also known as state building loans) and loans or grants to meet current expenditure (assistance in the form of annuities, grants or loans for specific expenditures, the subsidizing of interest charges).

For publicly subsidized dwellings new tenants have to submit a housing certificate from the respective municipality or "Kreis" administration (e.g. housing office, welfare office).

If the assistance funds for apartment buildings were paid back ahead of time, most of these dwellings are still considered publicly subsidized for up to 8 years. As far as owner-occupied houses and condominiums are concerned, the public control ends upon repayment or redemption of the assistance funds; in the case of dwellings converted into condominiums, the public control ends only if the owners themselves are using the condominium as persons eligible according to the regulations of publicly assisted housing. On the termination of public control, owners receive a letter of confirmation from the respective agency.

Not considered public funds in the above sense are: loans for expenditures according to the regional program of the Federation (the so-called secondary assistance), reconstruction loans according to the Law on the Equalization of Burdens, housing assistance payments for persons employed in public service of the Federation, the states or the communities, means to further the modernization of housing or for measures designed to save heating energy, article 7b depreciation allowances and other tax benefits, premiums on building loan contracts.

Main tenants who do not know whether their dwelling was subsidized with budget funds for publicly assisted housing need not answer this question.

Explanations for data on the building

Question 1: Type of building
Residential buildings are buildings used at least 50% for residential purposes; in other buildings with space used for residential purposes, less than half of the total floor space is used for residential purposes, whereas the largest part serves commercial, social, cultural or administrative purposes.

Other types of accommodation are makeshift buildings for temporary use including: barracks, temporary homes, permanently-anchored houseboats, railway construction trains and arbors.

Residential homes provide for the housing needs of certain sections of the population, e.g. students and elderly people. A building can be used exclusively as a residential home, such as student dormitories, nursing homes, nurses' dormitories and shelters for mothers and children. There are, however, also buildings that are only partly used as residential homes (e.g. centers for elderly people).

Question 4: Are dwellings in the building subsidized with budget funds for public assisted housing?
See explanations for data on the dwelling (question 8).

Explanations for personal questionnaire

Question 4: Legal affiliation with a religious denomination
Free protestant churches include (among others): the Union of Evangelical Free-Church Communities (Baptists), the Evangelical Methodist Church, the Union of Free Evangelical Communities in Germany and the Association of German Mennonite Communities. "Other religious communities" also include the Old Catholics, the Greek Orthodox and Seventh-Day Adventists.

Question 5: What is your citizenship?
If another citizenship exists in addition to the German citizenship, mark "German". Stateless persons or those whose citizenship is undetermined should mark "others/none". The "other EC countries" include: Belgium, Denmark, France, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.

Question 6: Do you occupy an additional dwelling?
The term "this dwelling" refers to the dwelling for which the present personal questionnaire is completed.

The term "another dwelling" (accommodation/room) may also refer to furnished rooms at the place of work or training/education.

For persons completing compulsory military service and those called up for military exercises, the barracks are not to be considered another dwelling. Persons having an additional dwelling or accommodation aboard a ship should mark "no" for question 6 (exception: permanently anchored houseboats).

For married persons who are not permanently living separate, the dwelling predominantly used by the family must be considered the main dwelling, according to the registration law. This applies to weekend or monthly commuters and workers at distant construction sites. For all other persons (singles, widowed, divorced and married persons living permanently separate) the registration law specifies that the dwelling predominantly used is the main dwelling. In cases of doubt, the predominately used dwelling is the one constituting the focus of a person's life.

[next page]

Further explanations for personal questionnaire

Question 7: Are you economically active, unemployed?
Persons who are part of an employment/service relationship, pursue an independent trade, practice a liberal profession, or work as family workers are considered economically active. Persons participating in programs aimed at further education, retraining/reeducation and rehabilitation and are in possession of a work contract should also mark "economically active". Services performed on an honorary basis are not considered an economic activity.

"Economically active up to 36 hours per week" should also be marked if work is performed by the hour, half days or on certain days of the week only.

Unemployed persons who are earning some money on the side should mark "economically active up to 36 hours per week" in addition to "unemployed, looking for work."

Juveniles in their first year of vocational training who do not have a contract of employment/training should mark both "not economically active" and "pupil, student".

Question 8: Your main source of livelihood
The source of subsistence which provides the largest part of livelihood must be marked solely by direct recipients or persons entitled, but not by family members. If applicable, they should mark, "support, maintenance by parents, husband/wife, etc." Scholarships should be marked as "other benefits" (e.g., social assistance, Federal Law on the Promotion of Education/Training); the same applies to the maintenance grants provided under the work promotion law for retraining and further education as well as for employment and occupation for the promotion of handicapped persons.

Question 9: What is the highest level of general education you have completed?
For this question, only the level of schooling completed should be marked. Pupils who are still attending a school of general education need not answer question 9.

In an intermediate school or a high school was not attended up to the completion of the 10th grade, mark "elementary school, post-primary school." If the person left school after the 10th grade but before the final high school examination, mark "intermediate school."

Persons who have completed a course of schooling for adults to obtain high school equivalency (e.g., evening high school/institution leading to university qualification) mark either "intermediate school" or "qualification for higher education (final high school examination)", according to the level completed.

Question 10: What is the highest level at a vocational school or university?
a) Full-time vocational schools are attended either in preparation for a specific trade or for a complete vocational training. They include (among others): commercial schools, schools for higher commercial studies, administrative schools, language schools and interpreters' schools, housekeeping schools, nursemaids' schools, schools for medical assistants, schools of arts and schools of dramatic arts.

Compulsory part-time vocational schools or special part-time vocational schools must not be indicated under "full-time vocational school".

Advanced full-time vocational schools provide a further education for specific occupations. They may be attended on a part-time or a full-time basis.

The advanced full-time vocational schools are normally designated as "special schools for... (occupational objective or field of interest)" -- e.g., advanced full-time technical schools (also schools for technicians), advanced full-time vocational schools for economics, agriculture, home economics, textiles and clothing, social pedagogy. These schools also include master schools.

The vocational colleges mainly emerged from the former engineering schools and higher advanced full-time vocational schools. Their objective is to provide an education on a scientific or artistic basis by means of schooling especially focused on practical training, thereby enabling the students to perform an independent activity in their professional life. The vocational colleges also include the administrative vocational colleges where junior staff is trained for the upper-grade non-technical service of the Federation and the states.

Studies at universities, teacher training colleges, theological colleges and colleges of arts as well as in scientific courses of studies at the Gesamthochschulen should be indicated under "institution of higher education."

b) Indicated here is the occupational emphasis towards which the successful completion of a full-time vocational school, advanced full-time vocational school, vocational college or university that was orientated -- e.g., agriculture, mechanical engineering electrical engineering, business management, economics, surface ground construction, underground construction, trade in goods, transport and communications, banking and insurance. If a commercial school was completed, please enter "commercial school."

Question 11: Practical occupational training, length of training
a) Considered the conclusion of practical vocational training is the successful completion of an apprenticeship / on-the-job training, the accomplished practical training as a nurse or male hospital attendant. Occupational promotion courses for soldiers that were concluded by passing an examination certifying the qualification as a skilled worker, journeyman, commercial clerk, etc. should also be indicated.

Improvership, student traineeships as well as the practical training of an official or the completion of a vocational school or college should not be indicated.

In case of practical vocational training for more than one occupation, state only the occupation for which the last training was intended and its length.

b) The length of training should always be rounded up to full years. For example:
2 years and 1 month = 3 years
2 years and 10 months = 3 years
3.5 years = 4 years

Question 12: Name and address of your place of work or school/university
The complete address of the place of work where the respondent pursues his/her daily work (no matter where the administration or the head office of the establishment is located) should be entered here. Pupils and students enter the address of their school/university.

Persons who frequently or continuously have to change the location of their activities (e.g. commercial agents, salesmen/women) should indicate "changing".

Persons who pursue several economic activities should enter the address of the establishment where the main activity is performed. Persons employed in the he household, such as housekeepers, indicate the household as the place of work.

Pupils/students attending vocational schools and who are not in an employment or apprenticeship relationship should enter the address of the vocational school.

The name of the place of work, school or university is only an auxiliary characteristic and will not be stored.

Question 13, 14: Which means of transport do you mainly use? How much time do you normally need for your way to work?
For persons with changing work locations (e.g., commercial agents, salesmen/women) Question 13 should be marked "no means of transport" and question 14 "does not apply".

Question 15: Are you presently working as?
Home workers indicate either "other wage earner" or "skilled worker" in accordance with the activity pursued. Skilled workers also include journeymen.

Trainees and improvers are considered apprentices.

Tradesmen/women working from home, work agents or persons having a contract for work, and labor should mark "self-employed".

Question 16: To which line of business does the establishment where you work belong?
Here it is important to state as precisely as possible the line of business (trade, government agency) to which the local unit belongs, e.g. machine tool plant (not machine plant), iron mill (not smelting works), retail trade in foodstuffs (not trade), elementary school (not public service), hospital (not municipal administration).

If the local unit has several departments with differing production programs (e.g., foundry and construction of road vehicles) or if it is subdivided in another way (e.g., car dealership and repair service), state the principal branch of business (main activity).

Soldiers indicate "Bundeswehr". [Federal armed forces]

Question 17: What kind of activity, occupation, or profession do you perform?
Do not enter here the completed level of vocational education/training or the rank of your position, but rather state as precisely as possible the actual occupation performed or the activity pursued at present -- e.g., building mechanic (not mechanic), heating fitter (not fitter), long-distance truck driver (not driver), balance clerk or machine accountant (not bookkeeper), electrical engineer (not engineer), pediatrician (not doctor), short hand typist (not employee), post office clerk (not civil servant), soldier doing basic military services, professional soldier, soldier on a temporary basis (not soldier). Persons doing civilian alternative service please indicate "civilian service". Apprentices should enter the profession/occupation they are trained in.

Question 18: Do you pursue some additional economic activity?
This includes all further activities (also assisting in the establishment of a family member) which -- even if only occasionally -- are performed at the present -- e.g., part-time activity of a mechanic on his own supplementary income agriculture holding. Work in own household is, however, not considered additional economic activity.

[next page]

Dwelling Questionnaire with data on the building

Legal foundation:
See household cover sheet or explanatory sheet, which are part of the questionnaires
Census day: May 25, 1987.

The dwelling is vacant.
The dwelling is rented under private law by members of foreign armed forces, diplomatic missions, professional consular representations of the Permanent Representation of the GDR.

____ Please state name of municipality

Data on dwelling

1. Do you occupy the dwelling/rooms as:

[] 1 Owner, co-owner or prospective buyer
[] 2 Main tenant (including annuitant)
[] 3 Sub-tenant

Subtenants are not required to answer any further questions in the dwelling questionnaire
[Questions 2-10 were optional for subtenant occupants]

2. Is the dwelling a leisure-time accommodation?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

3. When did the household move into this dwelling?

Please refer to the year when the member of household living here longest first occupied the dwelling.

[] 1 Prior to 1970
[] 2 1970 to 1974
[] 3 1975 to 1979
[] 4 1980 to 1984
[] 5 1985
[] 6 1986
[] 7 1987

4. Are there inside the dwelling:

Several answers are possible

[] Kitchen
[] Kitchenette
[] Bath/shower
[] WC

5a. Is the dwelling mainly heated by:

[] 1 Remote/block heating
[] 2 Central heating
[] 3 Floor-heating
[] 4 Single/multi-room stoves (also electric storage)

5b. What kind of fuel, which heating source is being used?

Several answers are possible

[] Gas
[] Fuel oil
[] Electricity
[] Coal, wood, etc.
[] Remote heat
[] Solar cells, heat pump

6. How many rooms of the dwelling do at least have 6 square meters? (excluding kitchen, bathroom, WC, corridor/hall)

[] 1
[] 2
[] 3
[] 4
[] 5
[] 6
[] 7
[] 8
[] 9 or more

If the above include rooms which are sublet or used for commercial purposes:

a. Number of rooms sublet:

[] 1
[] 2
[] 3 or more

b. Number of commercially used rooms

[] 1
[] 2
[] 3 or more

7. What is the total space of the entire dwelling? (including kitchen, bathroom, WC, corridor/hall, garret rooms and the like, as well as sublet or commercially used rooms in the dwelling)

____ full square meters

8. Is the dwelling subsidized with budget funds for publicly assisted housing?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

9. How much is the monthly rent?

The rent also comprises the monthly charges for water, sewerage, street cleaning, garbage collection, staircase lighting, chimney sweeping. Not to be included in the rent are amounts charged for central heating, hot water supply, garage rental, extra charge for subletting, extra charge for furnishing.

____ full DM

10a. Is the present dwelling provided/subsidized by the employer or is it a combined dwelling/office for professional or commercial use and the like?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

10b. Is the dwelling let by the owner at a reduced rate or free of charge, or is the rent reduced because of any advance payments made (e.g. tenant's loan)?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

For unoccupied dwellings
[Question 11 was directed to unoccupied dwellings]

11. For how many months has the dwelling been vacant?

[] Up to 3
[] 4 to 6
[] 7 to 12
[] 13 or more

Data on building: please complete only if you are the owner or manager of this building
[Questions 1 to 4 were asked only of the owner or manager of the building]

1. Type of building

[] 1 Residential building (building used at least 50% for residential purposes)
[] 2 Other building with space used for residential purposes
[] 3 Other type of accommodation (e.g., barrack)

Additionally for residential homes: Is this building being used entirely or in part as a residential home?

[] 1 Entirely
[] 2 Partly

2. Who is owner, prospective buyer, beneficiary of a heritable building right in respect of the building?

[] 1 Single person or married couple, community of heir or similar community of persons
[] 2 Community of apartment owners (applying to freehold dwellings only)
[] 3 Housing association or cooperative, agency of government housing policies
[] 4 Private building society
[] 5 Other ownership

3. Year of construction (year ready for occupation)

If extensions and conversions were made, the year of original construction is to be indicated. In the case of reconstruction following total loss, state the year of reconstruction.

[] Up to 1900
[] 1901-1918
[] 1919-1948
[] 1949-1957
[] 1958-1962
[] 1963-1987

[Years were listed individually between 1963 and 1987, but those are omitted in this version of the form]

4. Are dwellings in the building subsidized with budget funds for publicly assisted housing? (primary assistance only)

[] 1 None
[] 2 All
[] 3 Partly

To be completed by land statistical office only: ____

* See explanations in household cover sheet.

Personal questionnaire

Legal foundation:
See household cover sheet or explanatory sheet, which are part of the questionnaires
Census day: May 25, 1987

____ Please state name of municipality

For all persons
[Questions 1-8 were asked to all persons]

1. Date of birth

____a) Year of birth

b) Month of birth

[] 1 Jan. to 24 May
[] 25 May to 31 Dec.

2. Sex

[] 1 Male
[] 2 Female

3. Marital status

[] 1 Single
[] 2 Married
[] 3 Widowed
[] 4 Divorced

4. Legal affiliation with a religious community

[] 1 Roman-Catholic church
[] 2 Protestant church
[] 3 Free Protestant church
[] 4 Jewish religious community
[] 5 Islamic religious community
[] 6 Other religious communities
[] 7 No legal affiliation with a religious community

5. What is your citizenship?

[] 1 German
[] 2 Greek
[] 3 Italian
[] 4 Other European Community countries
[] 5 Yugoslav
[] 6 Turkish
[] 7 Others/none

6. Do you occupy a further dwelling (accommodation/room) in the Federal Republic of Germany, including Berlin (West)?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

If yes:
a) For married persons who are not permanently living separate: Is this dwelling here the one which is predominantly used by the family

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

b) For all other persons: Is this dwelling here the one which is predominantly used?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

c) Additional question for economically active persons, pupils/students: Do you predominantly go to work or school/university from this dwelling?

[] 1 No
[] 2 Yes

7. Are you:

Several answers are possible

[] Economically active (1) full-time (over 36 hours (2) per week)
[] Economically active (1) part-time (up to 36 hours (2) per week)
[] Unemployed, looking for work
[] Not economically active
[] Housewife, "houseman"
[] Pupil, student

(1) = Also farmer, family worker, apprentice, soldier, person doing civilian alternative service
(2) = Based on the number of hours normally worked during a week

8. Your main source of livelihood?

[] 1 Economic/occupational activity
[] 2 Unemployment benefits or relief
[] 3 Pension, etc.
[] 4 Own property, letting leasing, provision for aged persons
[] 5 Support, maintenance by parents, husband/wife, etc.
[] 6 Other benefits (e.g., social assistance)

For persons between 15 and 65 years of age
[Questions 9-11 were asked of persons between 15 and 65 years]

If you have completed education at a school/university of general/vocational education:

9. What is the highest level of general education you have completed?

[] 1 Elementary school, post-primary school
[] 2 Intermediate school or equivalent (e.g., completed 10th grade)
[] 3 High school qualifying for higher education (final high school exam) or qualifying for vocational education

10a. What is the highest level at a vocational school or a university you have completed?

[] Full-time vocational school (e.g., commercial or administrative school)
[] Advanced full-time vocational school
[] Higher technical college (engineering school, vocational college)
[] Institution of higher education (including teacher training)

10b. What is the main special field of this completed education/training? ________

11. If you have completed a practical occupational training (e.g., apprenticeship):

a) To which trade did this training relate? ____
b) How long did this training last? Year(s): ____

For economically active persons, pupils/students
[Questions 12-14 were asked of economically active persons, pupils/students.]

12. Please state name and address of your place of work or school/university

____ Name
____ Street/house number
____ Postal code municipality

13. Which means of transport do you mainly use (longest distance) on your way to work or school/university?

[] 1 No means of transport (walking)
[] 2 Bicycle
[] 3 Car
[] 4 Underground, metropolitan, tramway
[] 5 Railway
[] 6 Bus, other means of public transport
[] 7 Others (motorcycle, moped, motor-assisted pedal cycle)

14. How much time do you normally need for your way to work or school/university?

[] 1 Does not apply; same premises
[] 2 Under 15 minutes
[] 3 15 to under 30 minutes
[] 4 30 to under 45 minutes
[] 5 45 to under 60 minutes
[] 6 60 minutes and over

For economically active persons
[Questions 15-18 were asked of economically active persons.]

15. Are you presently working as:

[] 1 Skilled worker
[] 2 Other wage earner
[] 3 Salaried employee
[] 4 Apprentice
[] 5 Official (3), judge, soldier, person doing civilian alternative service
[] 6 Self-employed, employing paid labor
[] 7 Self-employed, without paid labor
[] 8 Assistant family member

(3) = Also applicants for civil service

16. To which line of business (branch of economic activity, government agency) does the establishment (firm, office) at which you are working belong? _______

17. What kind of activity, occupation/profession do you perform? ________

18. If you pursue some additional economic activity, is it:

[] 1 Agricultural activity
[] 2 Non-agricultural activity

To be completed by land statistical office only: ____

*See explanations in household cover sheet or in explanatory sheet.