Beginning of Bangladesh
Population and Housing Census 2011
1. Government declaration: government has decided to conduct the fifth Population and Housing Census of Bangladesh from 15 March 2011 to 19 March 2011.
2. Census moment: zero hours (i.e.00:00 hours) following 14th March 2011 will be considered as the census moment for the 5th Population and Housing Census 2011.
3. Census night: the period from census moment to 06:00 hours of 15th March 2011 will be considered as the census night. Floating population will be counted in the census night. Census night is considered as the reference night for this census.
4. Method of enumeration: interview method will be used for counting the population.
5. Procedure of enumeration: modified de facto procedure will be followed to enumerate the population in the place where they are found during the census night.
6. Functional manpower plan for the census 2011 (tentative):
National coordinator - 1
Census zila coordinator - 110
Upzila census coordinator - 520
Zonal officer - 2600
Supervisor - 60,000
Enumerator - 330,000
_ _ _ _ Institutional
_ _ _ _ Other
_ _ _ _ Total
_ _ _ _ Females
_ _ _ _ Total
_ In sequence
3. Household: a household is defined as one or more persons who ate dinner together from the same kitchen and stayed in the same housing unit during the census night. Any member of the household who ate dinner outside the house and stayed in the same housing unit during the census night will also be member of the same household. Also, people engaged in night duty or in a transient state will be counted as a separate household.
4. Method of enumeration by using enumeration area map: number houses by starting enumeration from the north-west corner of the enumeration area and continue counting the households to your right in a serpentine way. In this case, the serial number of the first household will be 0 0 1 and that of the second household will be 0 0 2, etc.
5. Procedure of recording census data: data will be collected by interview method. Answers to question numbers 1b, 2a, 2b, 5, 11b, 13, 14, 19 and 21 are to be written in English digits in the boxes earmarked for each. (Example: if number of houses in Question No-5 is 3, then clearly write 3 inside the box). For other questions put cross x inside the appropriate box.
1a. Household address: write the house number or name on a first line. Write the name of road/para/village/mahallah on a second line.
Q1b. Continuation page: if number of members of the household is more than 10, 20, 30 etc. then fill out multiple pages and mark the number of pages in the continuation page.
Example: two pages must be filled out for a household of 13 members. In this case write continuation pages 0 2 page 0 1 for first page and continuation pages 0 2 page 0 2 for second page. In the same way three pages are to be filled in for household of 26 members.
In this case, write and continuation pages 0 3 page 0 1 for first page, and continuation pages
0 3 page 0 2 for second page and continuation pages 0 3 page 0 3 for the third page.
Q2b. Household population: ask the head of household or head of institution how many people live in the household or institution and write the total number using English digits under household population.
Q2a. Household number: write the serial number of each household in English in 3 digits. Example: for the first household the serial number will be 0 0 1, for the second household serial number will be 0 0 2 etc. Write the household number with the supplied chalk in the main door of the household where the head of household resides.
Q3. Floating?: to enumerate the floating population put x inside the 'yes' box and fill-in information of one individual in each line of the individual module. If it is not a floating population mark the 'no' box.
Q4. Type of household: if the housing unit is used for residential purposes only then put x inside the general box. If it is used for jailkhana, orphanage, hostel, hospital, clinic, or barrack, then put x inside institutional box and else put x inside others box.
Q5. Number of house: number of independent houses (living house, kitchen, granary, cow shed etc.) used by a household is to be written clearly in English digit in the blank box. For a household, if there are 3 independent structures write 3 inside the box. If a structure has more than 1 household, then write 9 for the last household and 0 for the other household(s).
Q12. Name of household member: write the name of head of the household on the first line.
Write the name of spouse in the second line, youngest child in the third line, then other children, other relatives and non-relatives. Also write the name of household member engaged in night duty or in transient state. When you have written all the names ask "Was there anyone else in this household on census night?" If anyone is not already on the list, include the name.
Q13. Serial no. of member: serial number of head of the household is printed in the first line of individual module 1. Fill-in additional pages or sheets for households with more than 10 members. In this case, the left digit in the serial number will increase. So for a household with 13 members, the second page will have member serial number 1 1, 1 2, 1 3. The total number of pages for a household should match the number in question 1b. continuation page.
Q14. Age (completed years): write the age of each member in English digits in the blank boxes. If the age of some member is less than 12 months then write 0 0. If the age of any member is 100 years or more then write 9 9. Age is a very important indicator. Many people do not have accurate perception about their age. Therefore, age stated by the respondent is to be probed with historical events, such as, war of liberation, flood of 1988, age at marriage, age of youngest child and corrections should be made where necessary.
Q19. Disability: if no disability then write 0 in the blank box, if speaking problem write 1 in blank box, if vision problem then write 2 in blank box, if listening problem then write 3 in the blank box, if physical problem then write 4 in the blank box, if mental problem then write 5 in the blank box, if autistic write 6 in the blank box.
Q21. Highest class passed (year): a code list has been prepared on the basis of years required for a member for passing the highest class, by the board and university for awarding a degree or certificate and is printed on the back page of the tally sheet. Using this code list write appropriate code to the blank boxes for the highest class passed by each member of the household. If someone did not go to school, then the highest class passed code will be 0 0. If someone is ssc passed then highest class passed code will be 1 0. If someone has higher degree than masters then code will be 1 8.