Data Cart

Your data extract

0 variables
0 samples
View Cart

Sample characteristics: Vietnam

Census/survey characteristics
Type Census
Title 1989 Population and Housing Census
Statistical agency Bureau of The Central Steering Committee for the 1989 Population and Housing Census. General Statistics Office.
Population universe Residents in Vietnam, including those usually resident in Vietnam, but who were overseas at the time of the census; special groups were enumerated, including the police force, army and foreign affairs.
De jure or de facto De jure
Census/survey day April 1, 1989
Questionnaire Two forms: long (5% sample survey) and short (remaining 95% of the population). The long form contained both the core and sample questions. Dwelling questions covered 19 provinces/cities, not necessarily corresponding to the sample survey.
Type of fieldwork Direct enumeration
Estimated undercount No official estimate
Microdata sample characteristics
Sample design Stratified systematic sample of enumeration areas. Strata correspond to 80 geographic areas, according to urban/rural and provinces/cities. All dwellings/households within an enumeration area are included in the sample.
Sample fraction 5%
Sample size (person records) 2,626,985
Sample weights Computed by census agency and should be used for most types of analysis
Units identified in microdata
Dwellings Not identified in current microdata version
Vacant units No
Households Yes
Collective dwellings Yes
Smallest geography Province
Unit definitions
Dwellings Undetermined
Households One or more persons who share food and living space.
Collective dwellings Government institutions, factories, and other collective organizations; people living far from their families; unrelated individuals not sharing common budget.
Census/survey characteristics
Type Census
Title 1999 Population and Housing Census
Statistical agency Bureau of The Central Steering Committee for the 1999 Population and Housing Census. General Statistics Office.
Population universe Residents in Vietnam, including those usually resident in Vietnam, but who were overseas at the time of the census; special groups were enumerated, including the police force, army and foreign affairs.
De jure or de facto De jure
Census/survey day April 1, 1999
Field work period Completed within 7 to 10 days
Questionnaire Two forms: long (3% sample survey) and short (remaining 97% of the population). The long form contained both the core and sample questions. Dwelling questions were included as core questions (100% of population) and, in rural areas, additional household questions on means of production were included on both long and short forms.
Type of fieldwork Direct enumeration
Estimated undercount No official estimate
Microdata sample characteristics
Sample design Stratified systematic sample of enumeration areas. Strata correspond to 122 geographic areas, according to urban/rural and provinces/cities. All dwellings/households within an enumeration area are included in the sample.
Sample fraction 3%
Sample size (person records) 2,368,167
Sample weights Computed by census agency and should be used for most types of analysis
Units identified in microdata
Dwellings Yes
Vacant units No
Households Yes
Collective dwellings No
Smallest geography Province
Unit definitions
Dwellings Undetermined
Households Undetermined
Collective dwellings Not identified
Census/survey characteristics
Type Census
Title 2009 Population and Housing Census
Statistical agency Bureau of The Central Steering Committee for the 2009 Population and Housing Census. General Statistics Office.
Population universe Residents in Vietnam, including those usually resident in Vietnam, but who were overseas at the time of the census; special groups were enumerated, including the police force, army and foreign affairs.
De jure or de facto De jure
Census/survey day April 1, 2009
Field work period Completed within 7 to 14 days
Questionnaire Two forms: long (15% sample survey) and short (remaining 85% of the population). The long form contained both the core and sample questions.
Type of fieldwork Direct enumeration
Microdata sample characteristics
Sample design Stratified systematic sample of enumeration areas. Strata correspond to 3 groups of districts. All dwellings/households within an enumeration area are included in the sample.
Sample fraction 15%
Sample size (person records) 14,177,590
Sample weights Computed by census agency and should be used for most types of analysis
Units identified in microdata
Dwellings Yes
Vacant units No
Households Yes
Collective dwellings No
Smallest geography District
Unit definitions
Dwellings Undetermined
Households One or more persons who share food and living space. These persons may or may not be related to each other.
Collective dwellings Households living in tent/camp/inn/hotel: or collective house, barrack, campus, etc. or no living house.